Do you often find yourself going back to 'the classics'...

Diabolus

Rookie
...only to realize that they aren't quite as good as you remember them? That's been happening a lot to me lately.

Those rose-tinted glasses are quite the deceiver.

I tried to play Halo 2, and Halo 1 a few months back, great games when they first came out, but now they just feel like another FPS.

i dont know if that always holds true, im paling soul reaver on the good old dc and although ya it looks pretty mhe its story and great voice acting still suck you in

jivesc00ter said:
i dont know if that always holds true, im paling soul reaver on the good old dc and although ya it looks pretty mhe its story and great voice acting still suck you in

I've started playing the original Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain again. It's like a time warp.

Diabolus said:
jivesc00ter said:

I've started playing the original Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain again. It's like a time warp.

ive herd that game hasnt really stood the test of time, but im determined to play through this series simply for the story

Depends on the type of game. I still love the old-school platformers & strategy games, but the shooters no longer shine. Remember when DOOM & Wolfenstein were the greatest games ever? Well now......, not so much.

LawnGnome said:
Depends on the type of game. I still love the old-school platformers & strategy games, but the shooters no longer shine. Remember when DOOM & Wolfenstein were the greatest games ever? Well now......, not so much.

Of course I remember. You younger gamers, take a lesson from the true old schoolers. This is what I was playing back in the day. Doom seemed like Gears of War back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OsH4ZuAlI

haha i remember old school doom, games have come a long way

i recently re-downloaded and installed wolfenstein ET, severely under-exposed game i think, made even better by the fact that its free

I recently went back to the orignal call of duty, on the basis of how awesome it was back in the day. Now, not so much.

And see, when I go back to my older titles I still find that I love them to death. Some of them are hard to go back to, sure - I loved playing through Lunar, but I haven't been able to get back into the swing of it (could be that I beat it, so yeah) - but my absolute favorites seem to last and still be fun.

Super Mario Bros. 3 anyone? NiGHTS Into Dreams? Hell yes, cut me some of that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KKj-o8MMIM

KevinS said:
And see, when I go back to my older titles I still find that I love them to death. Some of them are hard to go back to, sure - I loved playing through Lunar, but I haven't been able to get back into the swing of it (could be that I beat it, so yeah) - but my absolute favorites seem to last and still be fun.

Wasn't Lunar on Sega Saturn? I didn't own one of those, although sometimes I'd wished I had. X-Men vs Street Fighter being one of the reasons, although the fatality loading in MKII made me giggle.

Recently I started a co-op playthough of the Halo trilogy with a mate of mine. Halo was pretty hard to get through. The game just drags on and on and on. I remember hating the Flood parts while playing solo, but playing it co-op had its charm. Still, I won't be playing Halo for a long while now, really had enough of it.
People complain that games are too short, Halo takes far too long imo.

I still fondly remember my NES titles, I buy old titles -which I used to borrow from friends- at a second hand store from time to time. Some titles I still like, others I hate with gusto. What truly amazes me that I find some of these games next to impossible to beat these days, while I could do it with my eyes closed back when I was a kid. This leads me to conclude two things:
I am getting old.
Games are easier nowadays.

Diabolus said:
KevinS said:

Wasn't Lunar on Sega Saturn? I didn't own one of those, although sometimes I'd wished I had. X-Men vs Street Fighter being one of the reasons, although the fatality loading in MKII made me giggle.

Lunar: The Silver Star and Eternal Blue were both on the Sega CD, and might've seen some limited release on the Saturn in Japan, though I don't think they ever made it to the States on the Saturn. But for the Saturn, I would suggest X-Men: Children of the Atom... holds a little piece of my heart. :D

Saturn had some great stuff on it, too bad we didn't see half of the awesome stuff... the shooters especially. Just makes me sad...

I've actually started replaying the classics and I'm having quite the opposite experience. My fiance found a boxed original NES copy of Final Fantasy for my birthday and as simplistic as it is, I can't help but be amazed at what they fit onto the little NES cart. Time for the obligatory Chrono trigger mention which I'll just follow with blah blah blah... you've already heard everything to hear about that one so I'll not give anyone the excuse to strangle me with my SNES cord. Metal Gear solid for the PSX still stands as THE definitive version of that game, the PSX Final Fantasies are great for putting me back in the mindset of the 17 year old kid staying up til 10 in the morning playing them I used to be, and System Shock 2 (once you find a way to make it play nice with Vista) is still a great scare.

More than any other game though, I've been replaying the Descent Freespace and Homeworld series... for some reason nobody has been able to do a decent space game since 1999, Sins of a Solar Empire excluded, of course.

-And before anyone yaps up I KNOW the space simulator "12 million key commands to operate your figther" genre is past dead. I still sniffle. I'm an old school PCer at heart....

And, you are all likely to be eaten by a grue. :wink: (Zork... ahhh....)

I love this topic. Get a nice warm nostalgia feeling after a post.

I tried to play Halo 2, and Halo 1 a few months back, great games when they first came out, but now they just feel like another FPS.
I can't think of a more accurate description of the halo games than "just another FPS". I think you've just written the most concise review ever.

Mobius_Sean said:
I've actually started replaying the classics and I'm having quite the opposite experience. My fiance found a boxed original NES copy of Final Fantasy for my birthday and as simplistic as it is, I can't help but be amazed at what they fit onto the little NES cart. Time for the obligatory Chrono trigger mention which I'll just follow with blah blah blah... you've already heard everything to hear about that one so I'll not give anyone the excuse to strangle me with my SNES cord. Metal Gear solid for the PSX still stands as THE definitive version of that game, the PSX Final Fantasies are great for putting me back in the mindset of the 17 year old kid staying up til 10 in the morning playing them I used to be, and System Shock 2 (once you find a way to make it play nice with Vista) is still a great scare.

More than any other game though, I've been replaying the Descent Freespace and Homeworld series... for some reason nobody has been able to do a decent space game since 1999, Sins of a Solar Empire excluded, of course.

-And before anyone yaps up I KNOW the space simulator "12 million key commands to operate your figther" genre is past dead. I still sniffle. I'm an old school PCer at heart....

And, you are all likely to be eaten by a grue. :wink: (Zork... ahhh....)

I love this topic. Get a nice warm nostalgia feeling after a post.

There are still quite a few "12 million key commands to operate your figther" games to be found out there. My most recent purchase is X3: Terran Conflic which concludes the X universe trilogy. Think of it as elite with superb graphics. Days are too short for this game, so much can be seen and done. Ah well.

As for Homeworld and Freespace, I heard the Homeworld franchise has been picked up again, Homeworld 3 may just be in the future... And Freespace 2 got a second life thanks to the graphics mod which add current day lighting models and updated physics, the game is ever so sweet to play now.

It's funny this comes up.

I just brought out my N64 again to play Banjo-Tooie and Ogre Battle 64, plus Mariokart 64 which I am reviewing for my "Well" review this week.

All three of them are still good in my mind. Yeah there is noticeable slowdown when playing, graphic seams and the lack of polish you would expect from a game today, but there still great games.

Just yesterday i mentioned the whole point of this topic on another one (can't remember wich one) and mentioned that old classics trample the new games when it comes to having fun.

Games like doom and hexen, both incredible for its time, may not hold up anymore, but games like Deus-ex and System Shock 2, the old rpgs and jrpgs like Classic Final Fantasies, The first 2 Suikodens (wich i'm replaying right now), the Baldur's Gate series and old creative fighting games like Bushido Blade I & II... All those games, despite not looking as good as the new ones, are way better designed and way more fun than their newer cousins.

For example:Mass Effect promissed a deep and rewarding exploration of the game's world and an engaging story, instead we get a few story related planets wich we can't really explore and a bunch of planets in wich the exploration feels more like a driving minigame that gets old quickly. The story wasn't bad, but tripped on a lot cliches that any old school gamer who hasn't lost his ability to follow video-game logic could easily identify to know what was going to happen ahead of time. Baldur's Gate on the other hand, had beatiful sceneries full of unique sidequests that would give players that nice acomplishment feeling whenever they stumbled upon it, that would give the players a reason to explore, to hit every tavern and house on the place to find people to help or to rip off. It was a deep and rewarding game, with an incredible story to back it up.

Games nowadays just feel rushed -both story and gameplaywise- in comparison to the deep and genuinely fun games of old. Bioshock for instance is a good and beautiful game, but it can't hold a candle to FPSRPG classics like Deus-ex and System Shock 2 on any category other than textures.

EDIT: Just so i won't completely derail from the topic, some games are indeed crap when you don't have the pink-googles on. I used to have great memories of WWC Royal Rumble for the SNES and so did a friend of mine, so decided to pick it up for nostalgia's sake. We played for about 5 minutes before realising how crappy it was and moving on to Toejam&Earl for the Genesis (wich is still hilariously fun, even after all these years.)

Gameplay, for shooters, is most of the time not the thing that stands the test of time. It's the story, locations, the characters and the awesome weapons that keep people coming back to them. That's why Half-Life is still so popular.

EDIT: 200 POSTS!!!! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle