What to do for next-gen

Delorean88

Rookie
We all know it's happening, may not know when but it's happening very soon that the next gen is coming. I think I've been the only one not up for a new gen only cause I don't want to fork over the money for a new console that has bugs or wait for the bugs to leave but then miss on launch titles that seemed amazing but have dated by the time I get the new console. I'm in a grass is always greener situation as a xbox owner because I see the PS3 as a console with all these great exclusives I can never play while xbox clings too much to terrible kinect-ness and the only games to save me are multi-platform or Halo (basically the only exclusive besides gears). But then when I say that to Sony owners I know they say this wish they got xbox instead and list their reasons.

From rumors the next xbox may still be too motion focused meaning I might go Sony but I'm feeling like the solution to my first world problem is to just go into PC gaming. Problem is, contrary to what you guys may say, I see PC gaming as an expensive hobby that I have to constantly pay to maintain. All the money I have to fork over to get a good enough rig just to play the games I want (which I agree can be compared to forking over money to get a console to play a game), then the money used to update the rig (video cards etc.) just to play newer games released not that far into the future. Renting and gamefly go out of the window meaning I won't be able to play and test as many games as I could on a console.

Sure there's steam sales but I'd have to wait till there's a sale on a game I'd like to try out but not necessarily buy. Example: I thought the new medal of honor would be good, it was crap, I rented it, played it, hated it and returned it. A process that I feel if I had a PC would go like: bought it, hated it and myself for a eternity.

Also if I got a PC gaming it would have to be a laptop cause I'll also use it for school (probably would be in graduate school when the next gen comes out if it's in the next 2-3 year period) or even then I don't want a desktop and I know when it comes to gaming desktops are better to go with than laptops.

I wrote all of this to ask you guys what you thought: is the next gen of consoles, from rumors and speculations, worth giving a try or at least waiting to discover if it is or should I just start banking on PC gaming and that maybe it isn't as expensive of a hobby to maintain?

The state the console industry is in scares me. What I imagine a next-gen console to be I cannot expect Microsoft or Sony to come up with. Nintendo has once again fallen back on a gimic, which might be fun in a quirky way, but is nowhere near the performance I'd like to see. But of course, I expect whatever they release to be eaten up by the public.

So, to answer your question, yes. I think investing in PC gaming might be the best thing to do, unless you want to wait it out to see what kind of consoles end up defining the next generation.

Delorean88 said:
We all know it's happening, may not know when but it's happening very soon that the next gen is coming. I think I've been the only one not up for a new gen only cause I don't want to fork over the money for a new console that has bugs or wait for the bugs to leave but then miss on launch titles that seemed amazing but have dated by the time I get the new console. I'm in a grass is always greener situation as a xbox owner because I see the PS3 as a console with all these great exclusives I can never play while xbox clings too much to terrible kinect-ness and the only games to save me are multi-platform or Halo (basically the only exclusive besides gears). But then when I say that to Sony owners I know they say this wish they got xbox instead and list their reasons.

From rumors the next xbox may still be too motion focused meaning I might go Sony but I'm feeling like the solution to my first world problem is to just go into PC gaming. Problem is, contrary to what you guys may say, I see PC gaming as an expensive hobby that I have to constantly pay to maintain. All the money I have to fork over to get a good enough rig just to play the games I want (which I agree can be compared to forking over money to get a console to play a game), then the money used to update the rig (video cards etc.) just to play newer games released not that far into the future. Renting and gamefly go out of the window meaning I won't be able to play and test as many games as I could on a console.

Sure there's steam sales but I'd have to wait till there's a sale on a game I'd like to try out but not necessarily buy. Example: I thought the new medal of honor would be good, it was crap, I rented it, played it, hated it and returned it. A process that I feel if I had a PC would go like: bought it, hated it and myself for a eternity.

Also if I got a PC gaming it would have to be a laptop cause I'll also use it for school (probably would be in graduate school when the next gen comes out if it's in the next 2-3 year period) or even then I don't want a desktop and I know when it comes to gaming desktops are better to go with than laptops.

I wrote all of this to ask you guys what you thought: is the next gen of consoles, from rumors and speculations, worth giving a try or at least waiting to discover if it is or should I just start banking on PC gaming and that maybe it isn't as expensive of a hobby to maintain?

Too long; didn't read.

De-Ting said:
The state the console industry is in scares me. What I imagine a next-gen console to be I cannot expect Microsoft or Sony to come up with. Nintendo has once again fallen back on a gimic, which might be fun in a quirky way, but is nowhere near the performance I'd like to see. But of course, I expect whatever they release to be eaten up by the public.

So, to answer your question, yes. I think investing in PC gaming might be the best thing to do, unless you want to wait it out to see what kind of consoles end up defining the next generation.

Too De-Ting; didn't read.

Don't worry about it, used. I'm sure you'd accept logical thinking if it becomes socially acceptable.

used44 said:
Delorean88 said:

Too long; didn't read.

De-Ting said:

Too De-Ting; didn't read.

This is perfect.

My one argument is that despite console gaming being "dead" or "more obsolete" in comparison to console games...I don't see game producers running to make their games there first.

Mostly because the market is much, much larger for consoles than it is for PC.

Me, I'll wait until there's something worth investing in before I invest in anything.

I don't see why they are bringing in new consoles. I'm perfectly happy with my PS3, and I'm pretty sure a PS4 won't be considerably different. The graphics and processing might be a bit better, but the PS3 is a beast of a machine and developers haven't really been able to push it. I don't see a need.

As for Xbox, I don't give a shit.

The future of the gaming industry is very bleak. If MS and Sony go ahead with their stupid, stupid plans the next generation of consoles with be fueled by micro-transactions and always-online requirements, with yearly remakes of EA sports games and more Call of Duty to go along with microsofts new always-on monitoring camera to make sure no more than 2 people are watching the screen you're playing on.

I'm getting the feeling that within the next 10 years i'm going to end up forming a team and burning the entire fucking games industry to the ground, hopefully so we can start again.

Rakon said:
I don't see why they are bringing in new consoles. I'm perfectly happy with my PS3, and I'm pretty sure a PS4 won't be considerably different. The graphics and processing might be a bit better, but the PS3 is a beast of a machine and developers haven't really been able to push it. I don't see a need.

As for Xbox, I don't give a shit.
Nobody's been able to push the PS3 because it uses all that power in a fucking retarded way that makes it extremely hard to program for, compared to some nice DX9 for the 360 that enables quick, easy porting to the PC.

The PS4 is set to change that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod