Next gen on PC Vs Consoles (visually)

GRColin

Rookie
So I don't know how to phrase my thoughts concerning this so bear with me here.

This past generation, games have often looked better and played better on the PC when they were given the TLC required and not just quick ports (I'm looking at you Dark Souls). One thing I'm wondering however, will that continue to be a trend with the next gen? I get games will look better, maybe not right away but once new GPUs are released and consoles are stuck, as they always are, with the same hardware they launch with. But will the current GPUs handle the games? I wasn't as big into PC gaming at the start of this current generation so I have no idea if (what was a good gpu then, a X1950?) the high end GPUs could offer competing visuals and FPS as their console counterpart back then. So have no point of reference.

I guess what I'm wondering is, do PC games play so well because games are developed by and large with the console and it's limited power in mind, so when a beefy PC gets the title it can run it no problem? And if that is the case, and developers aren't pushing the envelope visually and now they're given this new tech as far as consoles are concerned, will the GTX 770s of today be able to handle it? (I'm pretty sure a 790 or Titan can!) This may be a silly question but something I was curious about.

3r6blb.jpg

I think since PS4 and Xbox One architecture is very similar (certainly compared to PS3's cell) to PCs then PC will continue to have pretty awesome games alongside the consoles. Third-parties will continue to push PC so long as they're making money on it and since the PC market keeps expanding, they'll keep putting work there.

I'm really hoping we'll see games devloped for the PC and ported over to the consoles again.

We're at a point where modern AAA games manage to run like shit on a quad-SLI TITAN setup, simply because nobody bothers to do the PC version right. Spend 3 years making a 360 game to be the best of what it can be, and then 3 weeks slapping together a shit PC port to throw out the door to keep the kiddies happy. Don't forget to lock it up completely so they can't fix it, either!
Bethesda games are fine for this, at least. You can make Skyrim and F:NV both look noticeably better while running smoother with a combination of various mods.
Meanwhile, in Ass Creed 3, here's your 20FPS. Enjoy.

Just think about it, if they can make things like The Last of Us look so damn good on a PS3, what could they do with a modern low budget gaming machine, that's 4x as powerful just in the GPU?

Something you should know is Dark Souls on PC wasn't a good port by any means, however the TLC came from the community and for if this trend will continue it depends on the community.

As for EA don't expect this to be the case, regardless of quality that they put out on PC is strictly the will of whatever developer and Origin only.
Looking at you Dead Space 3.

And the current gen GPUs should continue to handle the games just fine I'm assuming? (I mean, BF4 does seem to run pretty well maxed out according to the leaked benchmarks.)

And yeah, Dark Souls, thanks to the modding community, is a great game on the PC. I completely agree.

Lethean said:
And the current gen GPUs should continue to handle the games just fine I'm assuming? (I mean, BF4 does seem to run pretty well maxed out according to the leaked benchmarks.)

And yeah, Dark Souls, thanks to the modding community, is a great game on the PC. I completely agree.

Well, unless the Devs have GPUs from the future, they're doing all their own work on current gen hardware, so I'd have a hard time believing that they'd be able to exceed that at the moment.

NickKmet said:
Lethean said:

Well, unless the Devs have GPUs from the future, they're doing all their own work on current gen hardware, so I'd have a hard time believing that they'd be able to exceed that at the moment.

Haha touche salesman!

213EDD said:
As for EA don't expect this to be the case, regardless of quality that they put out on PC is strictly the will of whatever developer and Origin only.
Wait so you like Dead Space 3 on PC? or no?

danielrbischoff said:
213EDD said:
Wait so you like Dead Space 3 on PC? or no?

http://www.shacknews.com/article/77584/ ... e-producer

Fuck no! Dead Space 3 was the worst Triple-A PC port in recent history and like the producer suggests we're lucky they gave us mouse & keyboard controls.

"As developers, you want to deliver an experience that's as similar as possible on different platforms"

Sure, that's why you're gonna be putting out all your new games on the WiiU with the same graphics as the Xbone and PS4, right guys?

Guys?

Still, it's not the worst port. Do me a favor - go play the PC versions of the Guitar Hero games.
Doesn't matter if you have a Netbook or some theoretical god machine from 2020, it's still gonna be unplayable.

Optimization (bad programing, memory leaks, layers upon layers of DRM) is also an issue. With a lot of ports (sometimes native PC games too) the game would look bad and run horrible too. Like in GTA IV no matter what settings you use or how powerful your computer is, you'd still have cars driving around with no one in it unless you go close to it. Makes sniping car drivers pointless.

At least the stupid DRM is easily fixed - simply go to the pirates.
How much did the cracked version of GTA4 improve performance again? By like 10% or something ridiculous because of it's 3x DRM structure, wasn't it?

Oh well. We still have the indie games.
I've had orders of magnitude more fun with Minecraft, KSP, Don't Starve and Automation (google it) than any recent AAA release in memory, excluding perhaps F:NV and the F1 2011-2013 games.

The modern world is excellent. We live in an age where stealing content provides better versions of it, whether it's movies with unskippable anti-piracy warnings and trailers, shit copies of music (see: metallicas loudness war. I have a copy of the GH audio myself) or video games where the legitimate version runs worse.
What the hell is happening to this planet?

Haha to mod GTA IV you do have to crack the game. It was ridiculous though. Log on to Steam then log on to Rockstar Social Club and THEN log on to Live for Windows. I'm so glad that MS is shutting down Live for Windows. Worst. Service. Ever.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle