PC in the living room.

pres50

Rookie
Heres my rant. It seems like the big new thing these days is ''the computer experience'' in your living room. Well since about 2006 I have had my PC connected to my TV with an XBOX controller and its far better than a console because of the shear amount of freedom and options you have when compared.

Game consoles should be game consoles, I'm tired of this hybrid format of consoles we are getting that are trying to replace the PC in a certain sense (referencing the PS3 launch) and doing what they do best which play the game you put in it. Consoles need to go back to the basics, which is why I'm actually starting to see the Wii U as a promising system instead of a Pii U. The Wii U is way more back to basics than PS4 and XBOX One.

In my opinion, back to basics is needed because these new consoles and for that matter the updates for the current consoles are swaying more and more to the ''hey lets try and be a PC even though we arent supposed to be'' side of things. Pretty sure SNES and Genesis werent trying to replace the PC back in the day but they had similar hardware to a computer used soley to PLAY GAMES.

I look at online services like XBOX Live and for all the good they provide, they also do just as much damage by taking advantage of customers with lame map packs and such that were obviously going to be in the game no matter what before the game was released... NOT AFTER. Anywho I could go on and on but thats my rant for now.

The insistence in modern consoles to be everything BUT a console is one of the many reasons that i hate modern gaming.
DLC, shit consoles, microtransactions, buggy releases, the same game every year, focus on shiny graphics (that'll look shit in 2 years) over story and gameplay...

I'm sick of it. Aside from very few AAA releases, the only games i play these days are indie on PC. My 360 only ever goes on to play Forza, my PS3 up until recently (GTA5) only ever went on to play PS2 games.

Unless i'm absolutely blown away at the EB Expo, i have no plans whatsoever to buy the new consoles. Why would i? I've been playing games at 1920x1080 @ 60FPS for years now, let alone 30FPS.
Maybe if the 'next-gen' consoles didn't have so much software overhead trying desperately to be 1/2 as useful as a 3 year old laptop they would be better consoles.

Buy a cheap gaming PC, hook it up to your TV and just buy portables from now on. That's my plan, and in the long run it's going to be MUCH cheaper than a new console.

madster111 said:
The insistence in modern consoles to be everything BUT a console is one of the many reasons that i hate modern gaming.
DLC, shit consoles, microtransactions, buggy releases, the same game every year, focus on shiny graphics (that'll look shit in 2 years) over story and gameplay...

I'm sick of it. Aside from very few AAA releases, the only games i play these days are indie on PC. My 360 only ever goes on to play Forza, my PS3 up until recently (GTA5) only ever went on to play PS2 games.

Unless i'm absolutely blown away at the EB Expo, i have no plans whatsoever to buy the new consoles. Why would i? I've been playing games at 1920x1080 @ 60FPS for years now, let alone 30FPS.
Maybe if the 'next-gen' consoles didn't have so much software overhead trying desperately to be 1/2 as useful as a 3 year old laptop they would be better consoles.

Buy a cheap gaming PC, hook it up to your TV and just buy portables from now on. That's my plan, and in the long run it's going to be MUCH cheaper than a new console.

I 100 percent agree with everything you have said, nice to know someone sees it the same way. What happened to the industry? It's like MTV.

The Wii U on its own is a great console, but sadly it and the PS4 will be the last of the Mohicans. Agreed, a good gaming rig is invaluable, but the only thing Xbox got right was the need for the console to do everything ( ie complete entertainment system) like ps3 slogan. People are having a hard time justifying console purchases if they only play games and DVDs. People, meaning the aging gamers with families, so they have accommodate every one if they want sell more units.

Don't become yuppies about it though, like 'I wish games were still 8bit', 'remember when consoles only were for games'. Cmon guys it's progress and we should welcome it.

Modern consoles are more powerful than your average PC anyway.

UrbanMasque said:
Modern consoles ARE your average PC.

The hardware is roughly equal to a mid range laptop for the xbone and slightly better for the PS4. You can literally buy the processors used in both from AMD right now

madster111 said:
UrbanMasque said:

The hardware is roughly equal to a mid range laptop for the xbone and slightly better for the PS4. You can literally buy the processors used in both from AMD right now

Yeah it's not as dramatic as lets say the PS2 launch. When the PS2 hit around 99-2000 it was apparently more powerful than PC's on the market (at the time) which I dont think will ever happen again.

pres50 said:
madster111 said:
UrbanMasque said:

Yeah it's not as dramatic as lets say the PS2 launch. When the PS2 hit around 99-2000 it was apparently more powerful than PC's on the market (at the time) which I dont think will ever happen again.

One thing game consoles do that PCs will never have is that it sts industry standard for hardware. You'll never have to worry about not being able to play a game or view content because your hardware is dated, or was ordered and built before you knew the specs of Crysis 10.

The while gaming entertainment system will only grow, just for the industry standard.
Developers aren't catering to the PC because when you do, you risk assuming that potential buyers have the processing power to play a game with advanced graphics when really only a fraction do. Also $299 vs. $ 1,999 is an ready choice for midday people especially if they do the same thing .,

Once people gets used to the idea of incorporating a keyboard and mouset into their game play like in Dust.514 and a few others, then it should be lights out for PC gaming unless your into mods.

Already posted how you can build a gaming desktop that will outperform the PS4 for Xbone money, so money isn't an issue.

We'll wait and see. SteamOS and the controller are set to make MS and Sony shit themselves.

Wii U is super back to basics because Nintendo is starting from square one in the HD generation. It's going to hurt.

But yeah, I don't get why you would buy a box to do PC stuff under your TV when it's really quite easy to get your PC and TV hooked up and making sweet PCTV love, getting their prongs into each other's holes and such.

It would almost be a smart move for microsoft to just make all they're new operating systems integrated into their consoles and be done with the hybrid. The microsoft Xbox would be a console first but with the flick of a button switch to windows 7 or 8 and do anything your average PC could do. Or is this already happening? I know Steam is doing something bold like that.

UrbanMasque said:
madster111 said:
SteamOS and the controller are set to make MS and Sony shit themselves.

Maybe a little more of a threat to them than the Ouya, but not by much.
Ouya has no games.
Steam, meanwhile, has more games than the 360+PS3s libraries combined.

MS and Sony have really screwed themselves by choosing the hardware they have. Both the Xbone and PS4 can barely manage 30FPS at 1920x1080.
It would be piss easy for steam to come along with a little console that does 1920x1080@60FPS with better settings and cheaper games.
Optimize the drivers a little bit and carefully select the settings and on select games they could advertize non-upscaled 4K gaming.

And remember, both MS and Sony are now running PC hardware. Means it's now going to take developers appox. 5 minutes to port their games over for PC, and if steam starts selling some stuff they'll figure that the work to profit ratio for a steam port would be excellent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle