How do you prefer your game reviews?

^GR's Kevin Schaller is extremely pissed off at this and I can see why. Google is ruining YouTube just to promote a site barely anyone uses. Sorry to hurt your feelings, Dan.

MattAY said:
Nah, written reviews are far better. More details, less buffering, and probably more colourful vocabulary and witty remarks. Most sites do video reviews just because they can, it's not necessary. Plus, GR has more character in the written word than in video I think.

I think this is the way most of us are thinking, but why not give the option and let the populace decide by tracking the traffic.

But I agree - we are a more cultured group.

I like both video and text. I go to three specific sites for what I want. Two sites are for text, one is for video.

I go to GameRevolution to read text reviews. I enjoy the writing of the reviewers here and I feel they're unbiased and well written. Sometimes I won't always agree (for example, I know GR loves Assassin's Creed III, while I wasn't too big on it) but most of the time, I agree. I appreciate their writing.

I don't mean to advertise or anything, but I go to GameTrailers to watch video reviews. I like video reviews, because it shows me the game and its game play. I can pretty much see it all for myself. I also like that when GT discusses bugs and stuff, they usually show it. They usually prove their points through the video. Sometimes though, GT can be very misleading when it comes to its scoring... they'll highly praise a game with minimal negative comments or critique, then suddenly the game has a 7 or 8 out of 10. Bit strange. As I said before, like GR, sometimes I don't always agree with GT.

Finally I go to Wikipedia and look at the general reception of the game, to basically get a "nutshell" scoring of what online reviewers and metacritic have given the game. It's also good to read the reception to see what people have had to say about the game, again in a nutshell.

Ha ha, you enjoy things! That is funny to me! I shall laugh at you for it! Ha ha ha!
That'll teach you for having an opinion about things!

I'm not so full of myself that people can't disagree with me. I'd say I'm "right" most of the time, but I'm humble too so if people disagree I never have a problem with it. ACIII's issues are apparent enough that I get why people hate on it (and obviously it's not topping my 25 games of the era list like P4G), but I still look back on that game pretty fondly.

JUST started ACIV though and it looks soooo pretty.

Longo_2_guns said:
Ha ha, you enjoy things! That is funny to me! I shall laugh at you for it! Ha ha ha!
That'll teach you for having an opinion about things!

If the mods could have placards that explained themselves to users this would be on Longos.

Well that's it really. Reviews, whether you watch videos or read reviews are just opinions. They aren't necessarily "right" or "wrong", but a good reviewer like the ones here at GR will give their review in an honest and unbiased manner. Sure, if they love the game it doesn't mean you will, and if they hate the game it doesn't mean you'll hate it.

For the most part, I do agree with the reviewers of GR, that's why I come to GR when it comes to reading reviews. Heaps of other reviewers hated ZombiU for the Wii U, but GR loved it, I took GR's opinion on board and I loved ZombiU too.

I usually always look at reviews because when I buy games I really want it to be worth my time and money. Games are expensive, especially here in Australia. We pay a minimum of $79 AUD for a new release title on average however, new release titles are usually $89 AUD.

At this stage... $79 AUD = $72.40 USD, $89 AUD = $81.57, as indicated by Google.

When I was in America last year, I saw games at Gamestop for $59 USD for new releases. That's $64.38 AUD. Long story short - we get completely ripped off.

Reviews are good for me because they can suggest to me if the game I'm interested in is going to be worth my time and money. Furthermore, if I really want to try the game regardless despite what reviewers say (e.g. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed), I'll buy it from EB Games... thank God for their seven day money back guaranteed return policy.

1368485455553.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle