GameTrailers closing today

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
While I'm not a very big fan of Kotaku (aside from trying to enter some of their competitions), my friend pointed me toward this article which kinda made me sad.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/02/video- ... -13-years/

After thirteen years of operation, today is GameTrailers.com last day of operations. This is due to the popular uprising of YouTube and Twitch.

GameTrailers was one of my go to websites for game reviews. I've been a regular visitor to GameTrailers since 2004, when our family first upgraded from dial up Internet to ADSL. The first review I ever watched was for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

While I read GameRevolution for reviews, I enjoyed GameTrailers purely because of their video reviews, where I could see all the points that they made. Video reviews to me, are actually more engaging than written reviews, but then again that's just me.

I wish all the remaining staff at GameTrailers well, in regards to their future endeavors.

Oh that's a total bummer. I was never a huge follower of GameTrailers, but I would go through little phases of watching their latest Xbox 360 review catalog to find a hidden gem or two. Loved the style of their reviews and that it was a way of seeing actual gameplay back when that was a rarity.

I liked their retrospectives especially The Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy series. Their reviews were good as well. Too bad the site became really bloated later on.

Ah, a pity. I noticed struggling with traffic, and that transition to the new site a month before "death" likely didn't help much.

I hope the staff will land softly elsewhere!?

Oh wow. GR outlasted GT.

I'll admit I used GT for their video reviews but it's the community that kept me at GR. Plus the guy's voice just sounded good, as opposed to the boy/girl hybrid in IGN'S video reviews.

GameTrailers is still up, but it hasn't been updated since the day of its closing.

I also really liked their video reviews and the guy's voice worked so well with it.

Not gonna lie, the GameTrailers community was pretty shocking. Very vulgar and rude towards one another. A lot of trolls.

Yeah, suppose that's true. GR is a pretty tight, mostly nice to each other community. Most forums just rip the shit out of each other.

Yeah, their forums are still active, but GameTrailers is no longer updating their site with any of their usual content.

We were talking about their forums because well, their forums, as well as their comments sections are actually really horrible.

The staff of GameTrailers have regrouped together and are launching a new site called "Easy Allies". They've already set up a Twitch site, a YouTube page and a Twitter account. They've also started up a Patreon page and have already found a lot of support - https://www.patreon.com/EasyAllies?ty=h

Looks like they're coming back?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod