How do you prefer your game reviews?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GRColin, Nov 20, 2013.

1. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Lately I've noticed a lot more video reviews for games, particularly on IGN. I don't mind them. I guess. I do dislike clicking the link for the review and a video player opening up as I was expecting a text based review. Personally, I prefer written reviews. It allows me to skim and find the information I'm looking for a lot quicker than using a video player slider. But maybe I'm in the minority as I'm seeing more video reviews popping up.

So which do you prefer? Would you like to see GR do more video reviews?

2. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Nah, written reviews are far better. More details, less buffering, and probably more colourful vocabulary and witty remarks. Most sites do video reviews just because they can, it's not necessary. Plus, GR has more character in the written word than in video I think.

3. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

I agree. I'm thankful GR focuses on written reviews that's for sure.

4. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I like video reviews when I want to see actual gameplay and not just screens or trailers. Polygon's and GameTrailers' are both good. In fact, Polygon's are usually the reviewer himself/herself paraphrasing lines from their own text review and delivering it in a really nicely designed and delivered video package.

I would love if GR did video reviews. But only if they did it well.

5. cyberjim2000

cyberjim2000 Veteran

It's sorta the same with GameTrailer's reviews except they just hire a voice actor to paraphrase their reviews. I would like to see GR make one video before deciding it's what they want to do. Can't be worst than the bikini reviews.

6. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

7. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Well of course there would be both! What kind of world would we live in otherwise?!

8. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I love that voice actor, for whatever reason.

9. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

I write them, I prefer writing them, and I will always stick to writing them.

Video reviews tend to fall into the trap of video entertainment. It is not so much a review but a show, a character shouting things at the screen and trying to either make an educated point, a sly joke, or just being an angry video game nerd.

The written reviews you can get a lot more out of it, and save for the few times you try to do something artsy with the review, its usually tamer and honestly, more professional-like in my book.

10. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I can't imagine the appeal of those shouty angry "YouTube personality" reviews, but I know tons of people watch them.

11. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

But Yahtzee is so edgy!

12. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I like my game reviews like I like my games, with lots of content. I'm not a huge fan of most video reviews, unless it shows actual gameplay and is longer than five minutes long. Like, ten minutes long. Text is usually better, as long as the person writing it is a good writer. If you're a good enough writer, it doesn't matter how crappy you are at video games or how bad your taste is, I'll still want to read your stuff. If you're a bad writer, then that's a whole different story.

Like for example, if I read a review that literally doesn't talk about the gameplay or the story other than "it's good" or "it's bad" I'm gonna make fun of you endlessly. Even moreso if it isn't really that good or bad.

13. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 So tired.

I like to get two things: an opinion and some entertainment. I have usually already made up my mind so it's your job to either change it or make it worth me reading about how you agree with me.

14. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

I prefer written reviews as well. Watching a video of the review tends to be spoilerific.

Although I would like to make fun of Daniel's crazy terrorist beard more.

15. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I get the spoiler thing. I don't watch video reviews for some games that I am especially not wanting spoiled.

Always love Daniel's beard, but video reviews are best when they don't have somebody's dumb face stumbling through unscripted opinion. Maybe that's the YouTube model, but a professional games site should do something classier. I bet Daniel or somebody else at GR could nail it if they tried.

16. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

I really don't get the spoiler thing. A review is meant to be for someone who has not played the game so why ruin it? Kind of like when trailers for movies show waaaay too much. It's just a douche move.

For more info on gaming, check out my review for Resident Evil titled "The guy who wears his sunglasses at night is actually the bad guy".

I wear my sunglasses at night. So I can so I can...

17. cyberjim2000

cyberjim2000 Veteran

GT's video reviews are usually aren't that "spoil-ly". The trick is that you just show gameplay footage that wouldn't make sense without context. Like combat, exploration, or ever interacting with NPCs that doesn't reveal the main story elements.

18. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

I wear my sunglasses at night because the sun never sets on cool.(I actually have light sensitivity.)
    I've been told "Don't be that cool guy who wears sunglasses at night"

I also wear sunglasses inside in stores and you know what was said about that.

19. danielrbischoff

Define this.
    You'd have to say the score every two or three minutes so so people don't get pissed off at you. So many Youtube comments "FFFF What's the score?!"
    I do live in a cave.

20. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Youtube comments are the lowest dregs of society. You should pay them no mind.