Are you spending more or less on gifts this Christmas?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by Optimus-Crime, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Optimus-Crime

Optimus-Crime Rookie

Sort of an unofficial economy gauge. I'm spending way, waay more this year but one man does not a healthy economy make. Or are things getting a little better? Worse? Too many variables, i get that, but ... I dunno, maybe I'm just in the holiday spirit. bah humbug.

2. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm trying to spend lightly, but we'll see how that goes. Making gifts for the 7 or 8 kids on our list, but kids are never really the costly gifts so that's only helping finances so much.

3. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

This year Christmas = cancelled.

Well, not quite but yeah. My wife and I won't be buying each other any gifts. It just isn't in the budget. Our daughter will be getting a few things however. Whether we were rich or poor she wouldn't be getting a lot. I don't want her to get a ton of presents like I did as a kid and have that be so much of the norm that she loses sight of what Christmas really is all about. CHRISTMAS MOVIES! FACEBOOK POSTS ABOUT KEEPING CHRIST IN CHRISTMAS! GETTING MAD ABOUT SAYING HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Seriously, the "Keep Christ in Christmas!" and "I refuse to say happy holidays!" stuff is annoying. Christmas movies I love however.

4. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

I rather say Happy Holidays, because it isn't just Christmas. Also, my family never spends a bunch on people. I'm getting my mom and step-dad a Blu-Ray player. My brothers 12 throwing knives each based off of Assassin's Creed design. My father a guitar pick maker. I haven't quite figured out what to get my sister, her husband and my uncle, yet.

5. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm spending more and more. More nieces and nephews means more toys for them. ARRRRGH! Still - I've asked for Diablo 3 in terms of game requests!

6. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

Everyone gets two gifts from me.

High end and lower more practical gift. Should cover all my bases, but it still means I'm spending more or equal to what I spent last year.

7. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

I think that's a decent way of doing it if funding allows. We weren't getting anything for my brother in law and his wife this year and we expect them to do the same. Not only have we not been on the best of terms with them lately but things are tight for them as well. We will definitely be buying a gift for their daughter though.

8. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Something you want something you need something to wear and something to read is how I grew up. We always set a low budget and break it cuz...kids' toy sales. I'd say we're spending even on last year. We never go crazy between Mrs v2 and I. Usually something practical.

9. Eyebrowsbv31

Eyebrowsbv31 Rookie

one 50-60 dollar gift for the GF. Not having a lot of friends makes Christmas easy.

10. danielrbischoff

11. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Every time I ask my girlfriend what she wants for Christmas she says "I don't know." So I'm just gonna get her a prostitute. Which means I'm going to spend the exact same amount of money as last year.

12. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

Any girl who says "I dont know/i dont care" when you ask them what they want for Xmas gets a PS4 , end of story.

-i rember seeing this last year

13. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

I thought it usually means they told you in some type of hint and you have to figure it out.

14. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

Broke college student here. Not giving my family members anything, Don't plan on getting anything. Same goes for birthdays.

I'm a merry christmas guy but only on christmas eve and day. Im not down with saying it all december.

15. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

I never buy anything that the people I'm buying for asked for. Everyone I buy for except my girlfriend have more than enough money to buy themselves anything they want any time they want. So just buying them something on their list is zero fun to me, seeing they'll just buy it on boxing day if they don't get it anyway.

So I have fun trying to find gifts that they will absolutely love but had no knowledge of beforehand. I'd say I have about a 70% success rate. Some fall flat but most are very well received. Have a lot more fun shopping this way, and it's a lot more personal.

As for how much I'll spend, I plan to spend less this year. I always get carried away. $100 per person, $200 for the GF is my limit this year.

As for merry Christmas vs. happy holidays, I will always say Merry Christmas. That's what I'm celebrating and I'd like you to know it. Feel free to say Happy Hanukkah, or whatever you're celebrating back. If you get offended by my saying Merry Christmas, I do not like you so I do not care. Simple enough.

16. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

My friends from judo and I have our own little Christmas party every year, so I buy presents for them... speaking of which, I'm gonna be busy for the next few weeks.

I also occasionally buy gifts for family, but not very often, they never ask and usually tell me not to, considering they don't really buy gifts for me either, which is fine.