Android

I'm currently using the Galaxy S2 X from Telus (same model as T-Mobile). The phone is amazing. Have it rooted and capable of under and overclocking it. I can watch 6-8hrs of movies on my phone while still having 30% battery left or have it on light use and get a good day and a half out of the battery.

Galaxy Nexus is the only phone with ICS currently, but do not let that be the selling feature, Galaxy S2 will be upgradable, along with most android phones from this point on. Currently have a custom ROM that gives me all the ICS images, animations, themes anyways, doesn't have beam etc features, but it looks like ICS so thats good enough for now.

There is also the Galaxy Note, which has a 5.3 or 5.5" screen if I remember correctly. It also has a pen for a more business like use.

I got my Galaxy S2 for 99.99 on a 3 year $50 contract. Said contact contains unlimited calling and texts, along with 5gigs data. It's a 1.5 duo cored phone with duo antennas for better cell coverage.

In a way, Frozen is right, you don't NEEED a smart phone, you just want one.

There are many things that we don't really need but we want them and delude ourselves into thinking we need it. You can thank advertisers for that.

In my experience people don't buy expensive phones so they can quickly google things or figure out scientific equations. It's simply so they can continue to feed their narcissistic habit by checking twitter and facebook.

I guess it's just a bit of a pet peeve of mine how many people I see with their heads in their phone when they're out at a restaurant or whatever. If you're out with friends and family you should be engaging in a freaking conversation. Save the tweets for when you get home FFS.

But that's just my opinion, I'm sure the rest of the world is different and there are no narcissists. Right? .... right????

WickedLiquid said:
In a way, Frozen is right, you don't NEEED a smart phone, you just want one.

There are many things that we don't really need but we want them and delude ourselves into thinking we need it. You can thank advertisers for that.

In my experience people don't buy expensive phones so they can quickly google things or figure out scientific equations. It's simply so they can continue to feed their narcissistic habit by checking twitter and facebook.

I guess it's just a bit of a pet peeve of mine how many people I see with their heads in their phone when they're out at a restaurant or whatever. If you're out with friends and family you should be engaging in a freaking conversation. Save the tweets for when you get home FFS.

But that's just my opinion, I'm sure the rest of the world is different and there are no narcissists. Right? .... right????

i originally got a smart phone because I work at a job where im frequently completely removed from any form of contact with the outside world for up to 3 days and needed one to keep sane. I do not use Facebook nor Twitter, I basically use it to browse, make calls, text, and play games.

i could walk into anyones home on this message board including the almighty chris crime and point out hundreds of things you purchased that you don't "need". we work, we make money, we buy the occasional nice unnecessary thing for ourselves. that's life. no one on here is better than the next person, even though 1-2 of you may think you're special because you don't own a smart phone.

WickedLiquid said:
It's more like DVR for tv. Sure, you don't need it, but it's modern convenience that allows you to better fill in the gaps of the second in your life. I could run off for hours about the conspiracy theory part of it all, but nah.

Though I agree that messing around on your phone at dinner and stuff is rude.

intoTheRain said:
i could walk into anyones home on this message board including the almighty chris crime and point out hundreds of things you purchased that you don't "need". we work, we make money, we buy the occasional nice unnecessary thing for ourselves. that's life. no one on here is better than the next person, even though 1-2 of you may think you're special because you don't own a smart phone.

Chris is from Texas, if you walk into his home he could legally shoot you, lol.

My point wasn't to tell you what should and shouldn't buy. Just clarifying the difference between needs and wants. For example, something you would "see" in my apartment is my PS3. I wanted a PS3 but I don't need one, therefore I didn't buy one when it first came out. Unlike the nut-jobs who paid $1000 to get it first. I mean, if you have more money than brains then why not buy it at that price. But the other 99% of the world aren't that rich.

Regardless, my PS3 is something I enjoy when I'm at home, usually by myself. I'm talking about people who are out and can't look you in the eye because their face is glued to their phone. Now if you don't do that then you don't fall into the category of pretentious twats I'm talking about, but they're out there and there's more of them then I care for.

Lethean said:
Oh and ignore Frozen. He has an iPhone 4S.

I got one so I could develop apps for it.

But yeah, that is just my excuse. The the truth is I totally don't need it and the *real* reason I got it is so I could tweet about how the stupid cleak at starbucks gave me grande ice caffe latte when I clearly asked for a vente ice caffe mocha.

Hey now, my PS3 was $600 and it plays PS2 games and is awesome.

As for me, I have the LG Revolution, and it's awesome. Not perfect, but it does what it needs to do and then some.

I don't use twitter and hardly use Facebook. In fact, the last real Facebook thing I did on my phone, other than message my friends (which is free and something I also do on my computer) is write out "If you're walking down a narrow hall packed with people and decide to stop, I will push you out of the way. I don't care who sees, no jury would convict me anyway." That was about two weeks ago.

So, yeah. I personally hardly use my phone. But I don't regret the 200 bucks I put down on it in the slightest.

Now whenever I see Frozen post I'm going to picture

35fnyz.jpg

Longo_2_guns said:
Hey now, my PS3 was $600 and it plays PS2 games and is awesome.

That's cool, I meant the guys who bought PS3's off eBay for way too much.

It's not about the phone, it's about what your phone says about you.

Phone A says you're an important guy. You could probably introduce me to uTorrent and help me better config my ipblock ranges.
o7ks4l.jpg

What phone A doesn't say is that you work at Pizza Hut [i love PH btw] and you're not the computer programmer your phone makes you out to be. Except in Frozen's case. There's always one.

Phone B says get out of my way, I have business to attend to, none of it having to do with my YouTube channel.
12662x2.jpg

"Look at my new cell phone, fellas," in a low, husky voice is what phone B doesn't say.

Where are the chicks that are interested in new cell phones? Not here.

WickedLiquid said:
intoTheRain said:

Regardless, my PS3 is something I enjoy when I'm at home, usually by myself. I'm talking about people who are out and can't look you in the eye because their face is glued to their phone. Now if you don't do that then you don't fall into the category of pretentious t*** I'm talking about, but they're out there and there's more of them then I care for.

That's fine and all but let's not assume this is everyone who owns a smart phone :p. I make a very conscious effort not to use my phone while in public or in the car. People got along just fine without them before they were invented, so I don't need to risk peoples lives or be rude and obnoxious because I can't wait 5-10 minutes to get a hold of my friend or tell everyone about how my grocery shopping experience just went on Twitter.

I have a smart phone, but in no way do I use it to post to facebook (which I hardly use anyways) or twitter (which I still don't understand, nor have an account for). It is handy for using google to look up stuff when I'm not near a computer (which is quite frequently, since I'm a college student, spend most of my time on campus, and don't want to lug around my 30 pound, 18 inch gaming laptop).

It's also nice for reading the news (I have apps for Slate, BBC, and the Seattle Times that I use frequently) and playing games when I'm waiting for class, or riding the bus downtown to meet up with my girlfriend.

I didn't buy my phone to impress anyone. I just got it for its functionality, which I utilize daily. I spent $30 on my phone when I upgraded. The last phone I had lasted for 3 years. There is no way in hell I'm spending more than $50 for my next phone either.

Also, fuck apple, because the iPhone is ridiculously over priced.

But yeah, people who go out and buy the next new phone every year are stupid. It's really a waste because the technology improves incrementally with each release. It's much better to wait a few years so that what you're getting is an actual upgrade over what you have.

But really, let me steer this conversation into a new direction, and say, fuck all of you guys, who wasted money on cars. I take the bus. LOL. losers, bought something you really don't need, just so you can show it off to your friends. Yeah, i'm better than all of you. /sarcasm

NickKmet said:
I have a smart phone, but in no way do I use it to post to facebook (which I hardly use anyways) or twitter (which I still don't understand, nor have an account for). It is handy for using google to look up stuff when I'm not near a computer (which is quite frequently, since I'm a college student, spend most of my time on campus, and don't want to lug around my 30 pound, 18 inch gaming laptop).

It's also nice for reading the news (I have apps for Slate, BBC, and the Seattle Times that I use frequently) and playing games when I'm waiting for class, or riding the bus downtown to meet up with my girlfriend.

I didn't buy my phone to impress anyone. I just got it for its functionality, which I utilize daily. I spent $30 on my phone when I upgraded. The last phone I had lasted for 3 years. There is no way in hell I'm spending more than $50 for my next phone either.

Also, f*** apple, because the iPhone is ridiculously over priced.

But yeah, people who go out and buy the next new phone every year are stupid. It's really a waste because the technology improves incrementally with each release. It's much better to wait a few years so that what you're getting is an actual upgrade over what you have.

But really, let me steer this conversation into a new direction, and say, f*** all of you guys, who wasted money on cars. I take the bus. LOL. losers, bought something you really don't need, just so you can show it off to your friends. Yeah, i'm better than all of you. /sarcasm

Yadda, yadda, yadda. We all know you just bought your phone to look really cool. As Chris Crime said, you could have spent that 30 dollars on two years of geek squad TV service, you stupid dumbass.

Chris_Crime said:
Scientific calculator? Quickly google things? On the road you mean? When would you honestly need to do any of that?
I go to TAFE (which is effectively a slightly easier version of college, nonaustralians), and i've done both of those things several times over the last week. Quickly googling things i have done several thousand times over the last couple years.

Chris_Crime said:
You could Google these other things, these purchases at home.
Unless you're at a shopping center and, like i've done a shitload of times, want to quickly check your bank account to see how much of a drain this product will take out and to quickly compare to some online prices to see how much you're getting ripped off by and to decide if that rip off is fine by you being able to take the product home right then.

Chris_Crime said:
You're not a photographer. Who wants to see your crap quality cellphone pictures?
Various other forums i frequent, including car forums where one of my latest iPhone 4S pictures was:
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5875/img0017bme.jpg
(1920x1440)

Which is more than enough quality for forum posts to show various things, and avoid the hassle of me taking my big camera everywhere.

Also, phone B says 'cannot connect to HSDPA850 network' and thus cannot work in around 40% of my country.

NickKmet said:
wasted money on cars
car =/= cell phone

you don't re-up on your car every year and a half.

intoTheRain said:
you stupid dumbass.
heheh, stupid and dumbass.

Madster, I will give you the scientific calculator. (...)
Why wouldn't you already know how much money is in your bank account? What are you 10?
A picture of a tire. Yep, you're no photographer. You could have taken that picture with a fucking Etch-A-Sketch. It's a tire. Disposable cameras would've been like, "Seriously? A tire?"

dude, Madster, I'm beginning to realize you're one of the people who should own a smart phone.

Chris_Crime said:
NickKmet said:
wasted money on cars
car =/= cell phone

you don't re-up on your car every year and a half.

Yeah, except I don't. If cell phones cost $10,000+, do you think people would buy them like they do now? Are you telling me that if you had the financial resources to buy the next new car when it came out, you wouldn't? How much money do you spend each year on the next new set of video games? Your argument is dumb. I'm sure most of us who use a smart phone get plenty of use out of it. People who buy phones to look cool and then don't use them are fucking stupid. Just because you had a bad run-in once with some hipster doesn't mean everyone who has a smart phone is like that.

But really, your argument is, "i don't need this, so nobody else does either." Well, that's great. I'm sure that there are plenty of things you own that I would look at and say, "why the fuck would anybody spend money on that?" The point is, it's an opinion, and it doesn't make you any better than anyone else.

Chris_Crime said:
Madster, I will give you the scientific calculator. (...)
Why wouldn't you already know how much money is in your bank account? What are you 10?
Because money goes in and out of my bank account all the time, i buy things with my card all the time and a permanent amount of money needs to stay in my account at all times for various things, so sometimes i need to know if i'm able to buy a fucking coke without having my car payment for that month fail.

Chris_Crime said:
A picture of a tire. Yep, you're no photographer. You could have taken that picture with a fucking Etch-A-Sketch. It's a tire. Disposable cameras would've been like, "Seriously? A tire?"
A disposable camera would've been like "No, we cannot macro that close or send a digital copy of the high resolution, geotagged image to your computer with 2 clicks".

That image is 1920x1440 and contains a shitload of detail, which is the reason that when my iPhone works i no longer carry around my separate camera. It's no longer needed.

I can do douche photos if i feel like it, too:
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5201/img0073fhdr.jpg

NickKmet said:
Are you telling me that if you had the financial resources to buy the next new car when it came out, you wouldn't?
"i don't need this, so nobody else does either."...it's an opinion
That's what I'm telling you. Is it really that shocking? It'd be a waste of money. Upgrading from an iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S is not the same as upgrading from a bike to an automobile. New set of video games? Honey boo-boo child, please.

If you are going from automobile to automobile every few years, then god bless you. It's still a waste of money, but not my money. I'm just giving my opinion as well. I never expected to change anyone's mind. Like I said before, there's a new cell phone topic every other week. Good luck finding where I've voiced an opinion before in one of those threads. So you can calm down. I spoke up once, but I'm not preaching to anyone, and no one's listening.

why not a Post your Cell Phones Thread? 48 pages long. It would save time.

Madster said:
I can do douche photos if i feel like it, too:
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5201/img0073fhdr.jpg
A nature pic. So this is the douche picture? And the picture of the tire is the what... ?
Enjoy your cell phone, Madster.

The hipster thing to do today is to make fun of people who embrace apple and technology in general.

True story.

I'm browsing this thread wearing my trollface mask.

They must have hopped onto my bandwagon because I've been saying this for years.

this is really how I feel about cell phones

well, not apple. Not technology, either. feeding the maw, man, every other year. i personally find it wasteful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle