New Years Resolutions: 2016 Edition

I achieved a new personal best at the gym yesterday. Dead lifted 175 kg (385.8 Ibs) for three reps, which is an apparent calculated one rep maximum of 188 kg (414 Ibs). It actually felt really good, I reckon I may have been able to get out one or possibly two more reps.

How's everyone's resolutions going?

I have a job interview this Friday. :)

I'm actually really excited but also quite nervous. I've been back reading on previous threads/posts in regards to people's advice about job interviews.

Wish me luck. I'll be preparing for it.

Good luck.

Some advice:

Be yourself.
Be confident, but not cocky.
Research the company a bit and try to have a meaningful question or two to ask when they get to that part of the interview.

I had the interview. It was pretty hard actually, but I think I did relatively okay. Some of their questions were difficult, but I was able to make a recovery. I feel pretty good, but we'll see how I go in the next week or so.

It turns out there's now two positions available. One is permanent full time, the other is a three year contract, also full time. While I've applied for the permanent position, they've told me that if I'm unsuccessful with the permanent one, there's a chance I may win the second position, the three year contract. They asked me if I'd like to be put down for it and I said yes.

I know I'm a penniless hippy, but the words "permanent position" sound like a nightmare, to me.

Good luck with whichever one you get.

Depends on how you look at it, De-Ting.

A "permanent" position means that if you apply for and "win" the position, it's yours to keep. For example, your chances of being made redundant decrease greatly. If your position or/and unit is made redundant, you still have a "job" and are still employed, which means your organisation will have to find you another position, as similar as possible, of equal pay level.

While they do this, you don't work and you keep getting paid. If they can't find you a position, then you will have to resign, however you will be paid out a large amount of money, including all your saved recreation leave.

Your chances of being fired also decrease dramatically. Basically to get fired from a permanent position, you have to do something really, really bad.

Furthermore by being in a permanent position, this enables opportunities for professional development. For example, you might be in a permanent position and you might see a job that's a twelve month contract, albeit much better pay. You are allowed to apply for this job and if successful, you can transfer there for twelve months, and you will not lose your previous position. Your previous position will then be temporarily filled for twelve months, then when your contract is over, you can return to your previous position/job.

If you're on a contract, it's easier to get fired, it's like being on probation, so to speak. Furthermore, if your job or/and unit is made redundant and you're on a contract, well... you'll be completely out of a job, no pay out. Furthermore if you're on a contract for say, twelve months, and the twelve months reaches its time, your employer may or may not recontract you. This will depend entirely on the business of the budget as well as your performance as an employee. Sometimes an employer may not be able to recontract staff due to budget constraints. If said staff member is really shit, then the employer won't recontract them because well, they're shit.

I got word back about my job interview.

TL;DR - I didn't get the job.

I got a nice e-mail from the supervisor who was advertising the position. She told me that the panel liked the work I presented to them, they liked me as a person and they appreciated my honesty, but at the end of the day, a more qualified, experienced and therefore more suitable candidate was interviewed and was deemed successful. She then went on to say that it can be very difficult to compete with someone who has all the experience they are looking for.

She said she would have liked to have work with me and has forwarded my details across other departments and areas within the university. So... that's good, I guess. Until then, I'll be continuing to work at my current job, which I've been at for over five years now.

On one hand, I should consider myself lucky that I still have a job, that I still have a form of income, where as a lot of other people do not. Some people by choice, some people by unfortunate circumstances etc. On the other hand, I honestly feel like I'm "stuck" and have no where to go, no way to progress and simply no way to "get ahead", which is depressing.

I'm still studying my new qualification at university once (now twice) a week. The course finishes at the end of June. It's a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment as part of VET (Vocational and Education Training). Once I finish the course, it will qualify me to be a workplace trainer and assessor, as well as a university lecturer in VET classes... but for digital media and art only. Hopefully I might be able to get some new, better paying work with this new qualification.

Anyway. I just thought I'd share with you my results and how I'm going so far. Thanks again everyone who contributed their helpful advice for the interview process.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle