New Years Resolutions: 2016 Edition

Bretimus is my spirit animal.

That said, when I finally have kids, I'm totally going to bug all of you for hand me downs.

It's not glamorous by any means. It is rather mundane. My parents planted big dreams in my head. Finding realistic goals and achievements was depressing and hard.

But I really want to pursue a loftier item in the next year or two. I just have no idea what to chase.

Bretimus_v2 said:
It's not glamorous by any means. It is rather mundane. My parents planted big dreams in my head. Finding realistic goals and achievements was depressing and hard.

But I really want to pursue a loftier item in the next year or two. I just have no idea what to chase.
It's the exact opposite for me. My family seems to think I'm a total idiot that will never amount to much and can't do anything well, yet I'm still "a smart guy."

They don't know how lucky they are that I'm not a bitter individual.

My parents put all the expectations on me in my family because well lets say my two older brothers are not the best and brightest.

Although I'm doing well I'm not doing it for my parents more so i can rub it in my brothers faces! They are giant dick bags so its ok. Wasted their college years by drinking too much and failing out so yeah

Man, sorry to hear about that, De-Ting. That doesn't sound nice. I hope things improve for you and I really hope you get going on those writings you've been talking about before.

I've started to slowly sort out my new year's resolutions...

1 - I've found a local business here that can do all my dietary meal preparation for me at a very reasonable price. It is a -little- more expensive if I do it myself, but I end up saving heaps of time. I'm returning to both my diet and my gym/judo training as of this coming Monday.

2 - I've decided to put a hold (sorta give up) on my YouTube stuff. Honestly... I wasn't enjoying it. I prefer drawing comics, and writing blogs... so I've spoken to my brother, and we're bringing the Reckless Abandon web comic back. I'll still be working on GR Strips, but I'll also be working on the RA comic.

3 - I've been doing a lot of sketches and writing down of ideas for a story I have... except I'm not sure if it'll be easier/better to try and make it into a comic, or a novel. I'm not very good at writing, but it's fun to make stuff up like that.

That's it for my resolutions so far. Will update later.

Master_Craig said:
1 - I've found a local business here that can do all my dietary meal preparation for me at a very reasonable price. It is a -little- more expensive if I do it myself, but I end up saving heaps of time. I'm returning to both my diet and my gym/judo training as of this coming Monday.

That sounds amazing! I would absolutely pay for this service. What is it?

Master_Craig said:
2 - I've decided to put a hold (sorta give up) on my YouTube stuff. Honestly... I wasn't enjoying it. I prefer drawing comics, and writing blogs... so I've spoken to my brother, and we're bringing the Reckless Abandon web comic back. I'll still be working on GR Strips, but I'll also be working on the RA comic.

:(

--------

That sucks Ting, what happened to you writing?!!? Write fool - I'd read the filth that spews out of your mind regularly if you did.. Not being understood by the fam is def. a generational thing - so just shrug them off.

Resolution-Gate 2016:

- So far I haven't had a drink and I've been pretty active on the weight loss front. Admittedly I'm still eating more than I should though. Tonight I'm going to try to chisel away at some of the single player games I own that I never finished starting with the Talos Principle.

Nice work so far, Urban! That's awesome. In all honesty, I wouldn't worry too much about the food just yet... what's important is you're being physically activate and that you've cut back on the alcohol, which is a tremendous accomplishment. Good job so far. :)

Sorry to disappoint you in regards to the YouTube stuff... I found I just wasn't enjoying it as much as I thought I might be. :(

Here's some progress on my new year's resolutions...

1 - I've started my new diet and training program. It's pretty hard to get back into the swing of things, but it feels good. It's also good to be back at judo, I went in for my first training session of the year last night and we got heaps of new people. It's awesome.

2 - I'm back at work this week and it's very hard to shake off my "holiday mode". I had a big chat with my boss and... well, I told him the truth. I told him that I feel like I'm not "growing" and that I have no where to go, and that if I don't try to go for other qualifications and jobs, then I'll be stuck here on the same pay, for the rest of my life. I also told him I've been here for nearly five years and would like to try and change.

My boss apologized that he can't give me higher pay, and he understood my desire for growth and change. He's offered to help me find a new job and he's offered to help me obtain further qualification to try and get a new job. I was really surprised, but happy about the support.

Soon I'll be enrolling in a course to try and get a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, so that I might one day be able to get into university lecturing, and be a lecturer in digital media.

That's it for now. :)

I made it 29 days before the death migraine kicked in.(I stopped caffeine on Christmas.) Def feel like I don't crave it as much and I've lost 10 pounds even though I've increased my beer intake. Has been an interesting year. Yesterday I moved to the south side of my city. Still waiting on Isp install tech to come.

Sourdeez said:
I made it 29 days before the death migraine kicked in.(I stopped caffeine on Christmas.) Def feel like I don't crave it as much and I've lost 10 pounds even though I've increased my beer intake. Has been an interesting year. Yesterday I moved to the south side of my city. Still waiting on Isp install tech to come.

Wait when you say you've kicked caffeine do you mean soda or coffee or both?

Both. I have started drinking soda when I eat out now because I can't stand local tap water.(once every couple weeks) Still, the addiction and cravings feel like they are soo little now that I can go without soda. It is nice.

I feel the same about beer now. I can totally go without it! Will probably drink during the superbowl - but the test will be to NOT binge.

Alcohol is something I can totally go without now. A few years ago when I worked in retail and was in university, I used to love drinking and getting drunk every weekend. Now it doesn't interest me at all. I'm getting old. Good job on kicking it, Urban. :)

Sugar I still struggle with from time to time though. Nice work, Sourdeez. :)

One month gone. Still not writing every day, but I am exercising. Heart rate's going down. Haven't measured it, but I can tell. Sometimes I freak out in my sleep because I can't feel it.

Great job dudes! One month +. Lets keep going..

Sugar is going to be the thing that kills me.. I know.. now, what do I plan on doing about it?

De-Ting said:
One month gone. Still not writing every day, but I am exercising. Heart rate's going down. Haven't measured it, but I can tell. Sometimes I freak out in my sleep because I can't feel it.

Glad to hear you're exercising and I'm happy to hear you've had good, positive results. Hopefully you'll get used to this new feeling soon. Keep up your writing, even if it's just small paragraphs per day while on your computer.

UrbanMasque said:
Great job dudes! One month +. Lets keep going..

Sugar is going to be the thing that kills me.. I know.. now, what do I plan on doing about it?

Everyone's doing a great job so far. :)

Sugar is a seriously hard one to kick... I have a few suggestions that might help?

1 - Eating a lot of good, whole but simple food throughout the day (lean meats and protein, mixed green vegetables for fiber, rice and oats for good carbohydrates) can help kick sugar. Some sweeter, but healthy foods like strawberries might be able to help too.

2 - Drinking lots of water, especially when you're craving. If you need to, you can always invest in one of those big arse water bottles that they sell at most health stores.

3 - If you're absolutely craving, a last resort could be diet soda. Sure, diet soda doesn't contain any calories (pretty much no sugar, carbohydrates or fat) but in saying that, it's still contains some nasty stuff that our bodies shouldn't have... but the occasional diet soda to help ease your cravings isn't that bad.

4 - Protein shakes can taste "sweet" and can supplement sugar, so to speak. I like to have vanilla or chocolate isolate whey protein (little to no carbs/sugar/fat, mostly protein) mixed with almond milk. I have that once per day. I also like to have oats, almond milk and the same protein powder mixed in for breakfast.

5 - Don't go completely cold turkey. Have something small in sugar maybe once or twice a week. Maybe it's a soda, maybe it's a piece of chocolate or a piece of fruit. If you can go cold turkey, awesome, more power to you. If you're like me and you can't, then give yourself a break every now and then.

Last night at judo, we had to do a physical test to measure where we are all at. Because it was our first test of the year (which we will be doing once a month), we all did horribly. That being said, we at least know where we're all at.

All of us haven't trained since the end of last year. We've all had, essentially a four to six week break from exercise and nutrition.

My results were... okay. I was happy with the strength results, but cardiovascular was atrocious. First up I weighed in, 107.5 kg (about 236 Ibs).

The first test was a beep test. I scored 6.1, before I started to slow down and didn't make it. The last time I did a beep test I got 7.2 (which is still average) but the drop is embarrassing. The best result was 9.6 by one of the lighter guys (he weighs 66 kg, about 145 Ibs).

The next test was for upper body power. The idea is you have to sit down with your back against the wall, your legs out straight in front of you, feet touching. With a 4 kg medicine ball (8.8 Ibs). You bring the ball to your chest, and just push it forward, not up or down. You then have the distance measured. I got the second best result at 459 cm (4.59 m), the best result was 4.89 m by one of the younger fellas. We all got three trials each.

The final test was a horizontal jump test to measure lower body power. You stand at a line (your toes must be behind the line), you then jump forward, either from a standing or squatting position, and where you land is your result. You're then measured from the line you jumped from, to the back of your rear heel. You gotta try and jump with your feet together, so let's say your left foot lands behind your right foot, your left foot is going to be measured. If you fall over, you fail, you get three trials.

My best jump was 239 cm (2.39 m). One of the lighter guys beat me by one frickin' center meter at 240 cm. God damn it.

I was really disappointed with my results, but in saying that, we all didn't do that good, we got a lot of work to do!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod