While I'm on a nostalgic gaming kick, I've realized...

Diabolus

Rookie
That Red Faction is a game that deserves to mentioned in the same breath as Halo and Half-Life. Of course, that will never happen. But we old school PS2 gamers know that it's a FACT.

I just played the game again for the first time in 7 years, and, true to memory, the game really was innovative and awesome for it's time. Ignore the outdated graphics, and you'll find a game that rivals any FPS released today.

Didn't it have destructible environments? I vaguely remember a tutorial where you had to shoot glass and it would shatter "realistically" same goes for shooting rockets into walls or blowing bridges up.

Red Faction was great!

When I first played Halo 1... I landed on halo and admired how the sun beams would shine through the trees. In red faction i would shoot windows all the time just to see the glass shatter.

That crap really blew my mind back in the day.

AMANIAC said:
I've never heard of it.

Then do yourself a favor and pick it up cheap. As long as you aren't a pure graphics whore, you'll have a goddamned blast. When it comes to games, I don't lie. Trust me.

I smile when I realize all the things both Halo and Red Faction had that we take for granted nowadays. You'd have to be an idiot to release a shooter that didn't have a "grenade" button that didn't force you to switch through all your guns to get to, and it's nice to see destructible environments finally starting to be taken seriously. like in Crysis and some of the newer shooters While I felt RFII wasn't as great as the 1st, everyone can agree the levels in the powered armor suit were just rediculous fun.

I remember looking at the game a long time ago thinking "this looks like a pretty wicked game" never did play it though...

Ofcourse Red Faction spawned the dismal sequel Red Faction II, which should never again be mentioned. I wonder how the new Red Faction will turn out.

Red Faction made me fall in love with the ultimate weapon in personnel disposal: the Satchel Charge. Stick it on an enemy and they run about frantically before you decide to detonate the charge. Double the fun when they run back to warn their friends of how fiendishly you wield the detonator in your right hand...

The ending of the game frustrated the hell out of me though, the random sequence on the bomb control. I succeeded only once in finding the right code to diffuse the bomb. I suck at these 'James Bond' gameplay moments.

Ever noticed that there is a pre-set limit to the amount of destruction you can cause. After enough damage is done to the environment the game won't allow you to destroy any more of the world.

I always liked Red Faction. I didn't even know they made it for a console. I don't know if I'd group it with Half-Life or even Halo though.

I thought the story was pretty decent though, and the action was quite good as well. Especially with nuking the land bridge when the tank is driving across it.

Yeah I luuuurvve Red Faction, it was graciously my introduction to FPS's, as I played it slowly but surely roudn a friends house at the weekend. I never managed to complete it at his, but then after buying the game for myself and getting up to the point I was before- turns out I was in the corridor bit before beating the game.
I'm so glad I didnt finish it there, means I got to play through that wonderful game again.

I remember my friend chris was really into the whole destructible environments thing. He would dig out big pits in the ground with his grenades trying to see how far he could go. I still play it occasionally at work it is a good play.

I had a friend who really loved the game, and I played it with him a few times. But that was all.

*adds Red Faction to 'Oldies That I Need to Buy' list*

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo