What's the best RPG of all time(in your opinion)?

Diabolus

Rookie
Our RPG forum has been ass-raped, so I decided to post this here.

It's so predictable...but...mine is FFVII. :oops:

Second best is Dragon Quest VIII.

Final Fantasy III on the SNES is, was, and will always be the best FF. But the best RPG of all time? That is a tough one, they are all so different, you got Baldur’s Gate II, Final Fantasy III/VI, The Witcher (flawed but great), TES IV: Oblivion, Ultima VI, and Zelda (if you think it’s an RPG). There are so many I haven’t played, because I need a better PC gaming rig, like Mass Effect 1 + 2, Fallout 3 + New Vegas, Borderlands, The Witcher 2, and Skyrim is coming. I have a lot of catching up to do, but I hope to have the money saved up before 11/11/11. Well, if you held a gun to my head (and I wouldn’t put it past you Diabolus) I’d have to say Oblivion. Sorry FF III/VI I still love you, but…

Chrono Trigger would probably be my favorite overall. Second would have to be PSO if that game counts. My favorite recent rpg I guess would be the Mass Effect games.

From the lately releasead ones, Dragon Quest IX was a pleasant suprise.
Pokemon counts as an RPG, right?

We need to break this down into JRPGs and WRPGs, because the difference is incredibly noticeable.

I have nothing but utter contempt for Japanese RPGs, because I find it impossible to connect with any of the stupid haired characters in all of them. Too linear as well. The only one that works for me is pokemon, so there...Although mass effect is pretty much in the style of a JRPG, so maybe that.

For western RPG's, it has to go to either Morrowind or Neverwinter Nights, games I've sunk hundreds of my gaming hours into, even to this day. That's a decade of RPG'in.

Eyebrows, you need to play a real jrpg. Like an SMT.

Which would probably be one of my favorites. Any of them.

And Demon's Souls.

Tales of Symphonia I played into the early hours of the morning everyday in a week, it immersed me massively.

Final Fantasy 8 was another. Plus my friend would come round and literally watch me play FF8 all day. Great days they were!

I enjoy the town, dungeon, new town - buy latest weapons, dungeon, new town - buy latest weapons trend that appears in pretty much every JRPG. So any game with that is probably a favourite.

Tough choice, Final Fantasy Tactics and Fallout 3 are my two favorite. Even though I've sunk tons of time into Oblivion. The great thing is that each one offers something different.

I'd have enjoyed Demon's Souls a little more if they hid the story a little less. Loved the gameplay and concept though.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
We need to break this down into JRPGs and WRPGs, because the difference is incredibly noticeable.

Two things. 1, how is it noticeable?

2, can we stop using the JRPG/WRPG labels? It's so stupid...

As for me...well I play too many so my choices will change over time. Some of the best RPG's I ever went through though include Terranigma (on an emulator, can't get it in the U.S), Persona 4, Final Fantasy Legend III, Final Fantasy VIII, Dragon Age: Origins, Jade Empire, and Riviera: The Promised Land

I can go on for hours though...

Kijan said:
Golden Sun.

Hands down best game on the GBA in my eyes. :)

Now that was a great game! I forgot about that one. I had got the game and a copy of the Nintendo Power Advance(the gameboy one) and it had a walkthrough. Tried not using the walkthrough much but I kept going back to it to make sure I got all the items and djinn. I couldn't get into the new DS one as much though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod