What kind of content do you like to see most?

So what would a quality-driven approach to the news look like?

This question is addressed to Lethean and C_nate, but if anyone else feels the same way, please chime in.

Well, for me personally, something like:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/assa ... rder-13249

is an example of a quality gaming news article. It is well written and Nick includes all the relevant information pertaining to the product and even manages to add in a little personal touch of humor without going overboard with it.

I'm less a fan of articles that deal mainly with rumor, gossip, or speculation but I kind of get why they are done because everyone wants to break a story first.

Also, I know some days are slow news wise so don't feel like you have to fill up the front page with fluff stuff like a bunch of opinion pieces and polls or general questions to the audience just to fill it out. Again, I know why it is done. Kinda of a way to get people participating in the community but if it is overdone it starts feeling more bloggy than newsy I guess.

And I know it probably won't happen but I'd love to see game reviews become the main focus and feature again like they used to be. But barring that, yeah, all that other stuff I said then.

So you don't mind the news and you don't mind "some" stuff like Tell GR?

Obviously reviews are still a big focus for us, but we just don't get copies of all the shittiest games. People have grown a little too wise to our -9 point average on Metacritic I guess.

The take away I'm getting is "less bloggy, more straight-forward news, less rumor, and more reviews." Is that right?

I really liked the hitman preview, dan. Doing some more like that where we get some impressions of the game would be great (though I know you guys are usually handicapped from saying much).

So in terms of previews and reviews, do you guys prefer the step-by-step approach i took in Hitman?

When I read those back to myself they seem kind of boring, but I know that conveying A TON of details is always a plus for readers.

Reviews are harder to take that tactic, because what are we going to do? Run through the whole game in the review?

Thanks Nick :)

I really think it was just nice to get a sense of what actually playing the game is like, rather than just a bullet list of developer press points (in the preview). I think the best reviews are the ones that mix up their content to give a larger viewpoint on the game. I certainly don't expect a play-by-play of your entire playthrough, but it is nice to see one or two paragraphs dedicated to something that happened in game, described in detail, that informs on your overall impression. Sometimes I feel like your guys' reviews are a bit too brief to make that happen. I know that recently I've found myself wishing for some extended reviews, or a more detailed explanation of something that is mentioned.

I'll try to implement that in my own reviews more often and I'll bring this up next time we all talk. In the mean time, any comments I see with questions I answer, so that's the most direct way to get more information on a particular aspect.

To redirect back to manifestos and such, would you guys like to see more news-type features? Long form news articles?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod