To Gamefly or Not To Gamefly

Green_Lantern

Forum Moderator
Staff member
That really is the question....

I've had Gamefly before, actually on two different occasions, and I enjoy the service, but I cancelled since it always seems like they send you a game at the very bottom of your list even if there are games towards the top of your list that are available to be sent to me....Have they changed that at all? It's definitely a more sound financial decision that constantly buying new games and 5 days from Blockbuster is never enough time for me.

So what say you, people of GR...

I've never used it before, but I'm thinking I might use some of my tax return to pay for a three month subscription and go from there.

Not to mention that there aren't really any rental places within 10 miles of me. Blockbuster just shut down.

There's always the 7 day return policy at GameStop...

I had it for almost exactly a year. I eventually figured out the perfect timing to send a game back right as they were sending out new releases at the top of my list, and that always felt cool.

I eventually cancelled my subscription because I stocked up a big pile of used games from Goozex that are keeping me busy, and there weren't any new releases that I felt were must-plays, or that I couldn't wait for.

Get it if you need it, basically.

Eh, there's gotta be a reason I haven't signed up yet. Still, I've always been curious. I tend to buy games instead of renting though, but then again, I always hear that the best way to buy is to get the game from gamefly and then they ship you the box and manual and everything...

I say sign up for it.

I don't spend money renting. If I'm interested in a game, I ask around about it, read reviews, view screens and gameplay trailers, and ultimately it comes down to if I'd actually play it, with all the other games I have right now.

I almost never buy a game I'm truly disappointed with. If I do, it was probably on sale for very, very cheap.

Depends. I mean how long will you keep a game for? If you keep it for like 2 or 3 weeks, you're only getting a game or two a month for 15 bucks. How is that cheaper than going to a video store and renting a game?

used44 said:
I had it for almost exactly a year. I eventually figured out the perfect timing to send a game back right as they were sending out new releases at the top of my list, and that always felt cool..

What used said, took me a long time to figure out the timing and I still don't really understand it. I admit I mostly don't get games I want at the time I want them but I like how there is a huge catalog of what I can rent unlike Blockbuster who had mostly recent games and never had enough copies "Just one slot for Modern Warfare 1 but 6 slots dedicated to Barbie's adventure?" Honestly Gamefly is useful to people who rent a lot or only buy major series games that they know they'll love but still want to play every game that comes out. I like it and it may not be as awesome with gaming as netflix is with movies but it's better than driving to a Blockbuster just to find out they don't have the game you want. I say do it there's a lot of games coming out this year that seem worthy of sucking your free time.

I usually just buy games cheap anyway, so I dun care much.

There's something about owning a physical copy of a game that makes me feel powerful that renting and downloading doesn't have.

Longo_2_guns said:
I usually just buy games cheap anyway, so I dun care much.

There's something about owning a physical copy of a game that makes me feel powerful that renting and downloading doesn't have.

I'm imagining you saying that from a throne constructed from all of your purchased game boxes.

Considering the first game I would probably get would be Persona 4, I'm probably better off by just buying that shit.

Oh yeah. No point in Gameflying a long ass game. You'd basically be paying a monthly fee to play Persona, and then you'd try to rush through it. Better off using Gamefly to rent older, short, singleplayer games.

I've been using GameFly for about a year, and I've been balancing purchasing games and renting by how much I'm going to play and how long it will take me to get bored of it.

I can tell you that GameFly has saved me a tremendous amount of money when I wanna rent games like Splatterhouse, Kane & Lynch 2, and other games that I would've bought and within a couple days sold back for less money than before.

But I still buy games that will take me a lot of time like MvC3, Two Worlds II, and Black Ops, since the point of GameFly to me is to treat myself with games I would've never pulled the trigger on since there just may not be enough in the game to make it worth it. I love to play a bunch of different games, to get a taste of every genre, but my wallet never gave me the ability to do so until I got GameFly.

IF you're one to sit on a game for weeks on end, I wouldn't get GameFly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle