Gamefly.

GRColin

Rookie
Does anyone here use gamefly?

http://www.gamefly.com/

In case you're unfamiliar with it, Gamefly is an online rental service like Netflix. You pay a monthly rate and they send you whatever videogame you want, You can keep it as long as you like and return it whenever. When they get their title back, they send you a new one. It's cheaper than going to a video store to rent a title. (If you rent more than one game or have an issue getting it back on time.)

I'm just wondering if anyone here has used this service and if it works as well as Netflix.

Do you get your titles in a timely fashion?
Is the customer service good?
Are the games in good condition?
Do you have to wait a short period of time for a certain game?

I'm thinking of giving it a go but I don't know. They do offer a free trial as well for anyone interested. (Note: You must be 18 or over and have a valid credit card.)

It actually is a good system. I need to get into using it, but personally, I would rather own the games I play (to death, usually) then rant them out, unless if they suck, horribly.

I actually just put this on my Christmas list, and most likely will be getting it.

As far as I understand, you can choose to purchase any game if you rent it and end up liking it...all instruction manuals and such are included. So if you rent a new release, you'll likely be the first to use that particular copy and if you like it you can buy it and it's just as good as if you had gone to the store and picked it up.

I want this because I tend to play the shit out of a game for a few weeks, then once I beat everything and accomplish everything in the game I end up selling it back...I do however keep some of the games I know will be classics even if I don't play them anymore so the option to buy them is nice.

BigZell2020 said:
I actually just put this on my Christmas list, and most likely will be getting it.

As far as I understand, you can choose to purchase any game if you rent it and end up liking it...all instruction manuals and such are included.
Actually when you rent it you only get the disk, with nothing else.

napsterxxl said:
BigZell2020 said:

As far as I understand, you can choose to purchase any game if you rent it and end up liking it...all instruction manuals and such are included.
Actually when you rent it you only get the disk, with nothing else.

From their site:

Our "Keep It" feature allows you to buy the games you rent if you love them. With this option, you can try before you buy any game. Original game manuals and cases are included and shipped to you with no shipping or handling fees, as long as you are a renting member.

Apparently they ship it after you decide to buy it...

First off, because it's the holidays I highly recommend asking people for gamefly gift certificates. That way you'll get to try it out on Santa's dime for a while. They discount them up to 20% during the holidays and depending on how generous whoever is giving them to you is you could be looking at anywhere from a few months to a year.

I've had gamefly forever and yes, you get games quick. I get mine in 3 days or less. They have 4 distribution centers - TX, CA, PA & FL. It's a queue based system just like Netflix but, because video games are in much higher demand they ship things based on availability. If you want the experience to be a crap shoot, load your queue up. If you want specific games only put those games in your queue. For example, if you have 10 games in there and the game in your number 1 slot isn't available but the one in your number 6 slot is they're going to ship that. So, if you're like me, only put the games you really want to play in and save stuff you're less interested in for later.

Customer service is fine. I've never had any issues and when I have had to contact them things have been resolved without any drama.

Games are in excellent shape. This is truly a strong point for Gamefly. I wish they could teach Netflix their secret. This is particularly nice when buying pre-played games from them. You know you'll get quality and when you buy from them they send along all the original packaging and manuals.

Finally, if you get a hot title in your queue late you'll probably have to wait. That said, I've never had to wait more than a week for anything. It all boils down to how you manage your queue. Also, get stuff in there pre-release. As long as you have a slot open for a game to ship and you've got it at the top of your queue you'll get it day of release. I've had the last 3/4 new releases ship to me release day this way.

Anyway, if you're going to do it, the holidays are the best time to start up on the cheap. And definitely milk the gift certificate thing.

Here's the link: http://www.gamefly.com/giftcert/giftbuy.asp

i had it for a month when it first came out.

i'm used to netflix ship speed, which is like 2 days after you send it back.

game fly took like 4 days inbetween games (for me i live in tn)

for me this was too long, but if they shortened up their times from then (they may have) i would maybe go back.

its a great system for trying out games without buying them.

I used it back in the day for like a month trial with my xbox in ways that I won't get into, since some of you guys are prudes. But overall, it was a good system that I would have paid for if I hadn't already gotten what I wanted out of it.

On an unrelated topic, did anyone else mod their own xbox...

clayman637 said:
i had it for a month when it first came out.

i'm used to netflix ship speed, which is like 2 days after you send it back.

game fly took like 4 days inbetween games (for me i live in tn)

for me this was too long, but if they shortened up their times from then (they may have) i would maybe go back.

its a great system for trying out games without buying them.

Yeah, it's like night and day from when they first started out. They only had one distribution center in the beginning but now they have 4 and now they have the whole fast return setup with the post office too (if your post office participates anyway) so it's way faster.

I'd much rather own games. I haven't rented from any source since back in the N64 days.

I had it and quit it. I could never get the new games I wanted. At one point I had four games in my que and did not receive any of them for over two weeks. I would confirm with somebody who has it now to see if they've fixed their inventory issues before I ever considered getting it again.

flyingmoose said:
I had it and quit it. I could never get the new games I wanted. At one point I had four games in my que and did not receive any of them for over two weeks. I would confirm with somebody who has it now to see if they've fixed their inventory issues before I ever considered getting it again.

Well that's a bummer. How long ago was this? Did you contact them about it? That's not normal. The longest I've ever waited is a week and that was by my own doing because of the way I'd set up my queue. If you're waiting more than a few days for anything there's something wrong and you should contact them about it.

I haven't found inventory to be a problem. Like I mentioned, I've had the last 3 or 4 new releases ship on day of release and they've got 4 distribution centers so games are shipping quickly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod