The Future of Gaming

rckaratekid said:
They may make it to where you stick a little chip into a memory card and copy the game to the memory card in order to play it, instead of wasting money making discs.
UghRochester said:
I agree with what Nick Tan and Rakon's last post

LinksOcarina,Yes that PSP that is only downloadable is true, Nick Tan i believe mentioned it on Podcast 58 or 59 (forget which one) that the "PSPGo" is going to not going to have UMD and therefore only for internal memory

I'm still not sure if we're allowed to mentioned this or not, are we allowed Ninja Nick Tan?

I have a feeling most of the money isn't actually in the making of the discs. DVD-ROMs are next to free today in terms of pricing, and that's what games tend to be printed on (unless you're making a PS3 game, but I'm pretty sure Blu Ray discs are pretty affordable too). I think more of the money goes into actually printing the artwork for the case the game is to be housed in, as well as paying the production company to actually put the game on the disc, which wouldn't change in price if the game got put on a flash drive.

Personally, as cool as DLC is and as cool as upcoming features such as OnLive look, I don't think anything will beat a hard copy of a game. Hard copies are 100% incorruptible unless you scratch the disc all to hell, and even then there's a disc doctor for that very problem. Nothing compares to the thrill of making that pilgrimage to the local GameStop for me, getting there to find out that they do still have copies in stock, trading in the necessary things to get your store credit high enough or forking over the cash, and going home anticipating the action that is to come.

But that's just me of course.

UghRochester said:
LinksOcarina,Yes that PSP that is only downloadable is true, Nick Tan i believe mentioned it on Podcast 58 or 59 (forget which one) that the "PSPGo"
I'm still not sure if we're allowed to mentioned this or not, are we allowed Ninja Nick Tan?

I'm pretty sure you are since it's been semi-announced and has pictures of it on Google Images if you look.
It should be formally announced at this year's E3 though.

for someone like myself, an avid game collector, i shiver at the thought of not having a physical copy of the game. like schimmel hinted at finding the game is part of the fun most notably when your hunting down classic games with out the help of ebay that is. my game room would be a very said place if all it consisted of was a giant hd sitting next to my tv...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle