The Stop Online Piracy Act discussion

Lien

Rookie
Well, i was checking out the escapist todaywhen i found today's jimquisition who stopped being a sarcastic douche and warn us of a bill that's in the talks in congress:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/4993-Sony-Nintendo-EA-and-SOPA

It's called The Stop Online Piracy Act, sometimes abridged to SOPA, and it's being back by Sony, EA and even Nintendo in response to the rise of hacking these past years. Now before you gonna say "F*** the hackers and pirates! SUPPORT THE BILL!" you HAVE to read the bill first...

...Cause it could shut down sites like IGN, Kotaku and even Game Revolution in the united states.

I'd love to sum up the bill real quick but it's better if you read it straight from the source (sorry, pdf file). I can say that concerning the video game industry, the bill will restrain video streaming of certain videos (even marathon runs for charities or speed runs) will allows corporation to stop any services they offer to you at any notice (wither you read or signed the EULA or if you work in a review site and was already authorized to make previews) and even allow them to get the law on your butt if they find one hint of potential piracy content in your household. This bill is similar to "protect IP" bill which concerns mostly youtube and bloggers that got overturn a couple of months ago (and is in talk to be back in the senate).
In the bills defense, i can tell you that this bill, if it would to pass, will be a BIG help against piracy... but just like the DRM, we will all suffer the same fate innocent or guilty. The jimquisition guy is right to be concerned. Like he said, The video game corporations got lots of rights on their side already, why should we give them more?

I'm sorry to make a political thread here but just like how many freedom of speech movement started, we never sought politics, politics came to us first. So i oppose this bill and i invite anyone else to the following link to help the fight.
http://stopcensorship.org/

All is invited to talk on this, supporters or not.

freedom in the age of obama, eh? :)

Yeah, I expected this. Soon enough we won't be able to mention oranges without citing tropicana first. Ron Paul is against of course. Gotta love em. Really shows the ignorance of old people in power... the HoR needs a maximum age of 50 methinks.

It's a pretty damn scary bill actually, and I'm not really sure how it has managed to get this far - you know, with the First Amendment and all. Luckily there are some pretty big players against the bill like Google. Hopefully if this bill or a bill like it passes the Supreme Court wouldn't ever allow it....

And how stupid is something like this when all you have to do is type the IP address of a blocked website and it takes you there anyways...I mean seriously.

Green_Lantern said:
It's a pretty damn scary bill actually, and I'm not really sure how it has managed to get this far - you know, with the First Amendment and all. Luckily there are some pretty big players against the bill like Google. Hopefully if this bill or a bill like it passes the Supreme Court wouldn't ever allow it....

And how stupid is something like this when all you have to do is type the IP address of a blocked website and it takes you there anyways...I mean seriously.

but look at who is supporting the bill.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
he HoR needs a maximum age of 50 methinks.
this.. .a hundred time this!
I got enough of old people not realizing that the world is changing and that simple bills like these can mean a whole lot. The fact it's in talk is ridiculous and even more that most of them are old cooks who only use twitter "cause everyone does it".

Also to troll eyebrows here, you know who is threatening to veto the bill if passed? I'll give ya a hint, he's running for election in 2012... and he's black... and doesn't own a pizza franchise... hehehe...

and glad people are taking notice of this, it almost went unnoticed, like "protect IP". Mega thanks to NecroWolf for actually writting to them :p i hope you are against it...

TheJx4 said:
Green_Lantern said:

but look at who is supporting the bill.
Yes, the only reason why companies would support this bill is due to online piracy. They don't care about how many jobs would be lost if they had sites shutdown. All they care is to have money in their own pockets. Like many here have stated, this is a stupid bill. I'm worried about how far this bill will go if passed.

Of course I'm against it, this bill annoys me greatly. I may be against piracy and outspoken, but there is a limit. This bill could easily be abused to enforce a corps will upon the world, or the governments will. The other thing is the plan is use DNS routing similar to China, which in truth is easy to bypass, but that isn't the point. They're a bunch of old men who don't understand what this bill will do. There is an answer to online piracy, I don't know what that answer is, but I know this isn't it.

Maximum age of 50?

50 is when you hate everything new and think iPods are the work of the devil, and Alfred Molina.

^Most Americans aren't even 'adults' until the age of 35. 50 is a fine number for the house at least. I think the youngest you can be is 25, so a nice 25 year window.

Also term limits, 2 for senate (12 yrs) and 6 for house.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
^Most Americans aren't even 'adults' until the age of 35. 50 is a fine number for the house at least. I think the youngest you can be is 25, so a nice 25 year window.

Also term limits, 2 for senate (12 yrs) and 6 for house.

When you're an adult, you hate everything young people like. Fact.
Ask Danny.

Lien said:
danielrbischoff said:
I'M ONLY 23!!
...my god... I am old... Why jesus... why!

11598245.jpg

Sometimes I feel so much older than all of you. But then I remember that I'm so not and am just so much smarter better and more mature than all of you. So suck that, buttmunches!

Longo_2_guns said:
Sometimes I feel so much older than all of you. But then I remember that I'm so not and am just so much smarter better and more mature than all of you. So suck that, buttmunches!

Most mature statement ever. See this? This is the kind of people we need in Congress and the Senate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle