The Least Surpising News of New Decade

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by Shaft, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Shaft

Shaft Rookie

Mark Mcgwire used Steroids

Everyone pretty much knew this already, but its the first time he has come out and said it himself.

The question i have for baseball fans out there is what do you do with these superstars who used steroids in regards to the Hall of Fame? Let them in? Keep them out?

2. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

I don't care either way, because there are probably a ton of players who have used steroids in the hall of fame already anyway.

3. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

nah, there ARE

4. schimmel

schimmel Rookie

5. Trippysmurf

Trippysmurf Rookie

Yeah, I saw this on the news aggregates today. I said out loud "How is this news?"

But you bring up a difficult debate. Yes, performance enhancing drugs do change the game (some will say for the better), but how far back do you go? Some could say that chewing tobacco back in the 30s was a form of performance enhancement, and if so, should those players that chewed be removed from the Hall of Fame?

I actually prefer the asterisk next to the name. If you remove them, they just get forgotten. But if you leave their name in the Hall of Fame with an asterisk that says "By the way, this man was a filthy cheater, and that's the only reason he's in here." is far more biting and shameful than just being removed.

6. Chris_Crime

Chris_Crime Rookie

every fan of the game knows what the steroid era is, and going forward they'll remember what it was. that's why I say let him in.
    baseball's history isn't without its controversy.. so what's changed?

7. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Do that and we might have to suffer through Pete Rose harrumphing and asking for a double asterisk.

8. Chris_Crime

Chris_Crime Rookie

When I think of MLB HOF, I think of Pete Rose. And isn't that concession enough? :)

9. Rakon

Rakon Rookie

Taking steroids is cheating. If you cheat, you don't deserve to be in the hall of fame. If you don't care for the rules, you don't care for the game.

10. BigZell2020

BigZell2020 Rookie

Whoopity dooooooooooooo! They might as well just clear out the baseball HOF and start over from scratch, where are we going to find someone to make all the giant asterisks that will need to be hung over 90% of the memorabilia kept there?

11. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Exactly, cheaters never prosper outside the business world and that includes those who run the businiess of the MLB.

12. MonkeyPox

MonkeyPox Rookie

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_palin_fox_news

I think this ^^^ takes the Least Surprising News of Decade Award. Fox News just loves filling its station personal with archaic, crazy people that if given power would destroy our world in 3 months.

13. Ted_Wolff

Ted_Wolff Rookie

There was no objective standard when he took them. They weren't against the rules, so taking them wasn't cheating (at that time). Anything else is purely subjective wishy-washy back-and-forth.

The Hall of Fame already has its share of grumpy detractors. You have people who think Andre Dawson is a clear-cut Hall of Famer because he was one of the best players for 5 years or so, and then you have people who say he most definitely is not because his on-base percentage sucked and his "runs created" were meager compared to others left out (e.g., Tim Raines). Simply put, the Hall pleases few.

I agree with Buster Olney. The Hall should be neutral. Put a bunch of steroid users in, sure, but write a neutral description, as with Babe Ruth or Ted Williams (or any other more "pure" Hall of Famer), under their plaque.

14. MikeyVassallo

MikeyVassallo Rookie

Yeah, now time for Bonds and Sosa to come out before somebody ghostwrites his "tell all". I can see the Entertainment Tonight headlines now...

15. MikeyVassallo

MikeyVassallo Rookie

Also, how awesome is Jose Conseco looking right about now? Too awesome?

16. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

Slow news day.

17. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh no, some guy is willingly shortening his lifespan and ruining his health for our entertainment. This is a terrible, terrible thing.

18. BigZell2020

BigZell2020 Rookie

He's probably looking exceptionally tan.

19. MikeyVassallo

MikeyVassallo Rookie

20. Ted_Wolff

Ted_Wolff Rookie

Well, I always pegged Palin more as a Democracy Underground kinda contributor..