The End of a Decade or the Beginning of a New One

schimmel

Rookie
So as we enter into this new year, a lot of arguments are being made. Some people say that we're in a new decade (2010-2019, with 2020 being a new decade again), where others are saying that we're in the last year of the first decade of the new millennium (2001-2010). The people who say we're starting a new decade are going based off common sense, a year ending in 0 signifies the start of a new era, where the other side is going with the Gregorian Calendar, which states that a year ending in 1 signifies the start of a new era.

Things to know:
The Gregorian Calendar is responsible for giving us leap years and marking centuries, along with determining months in a year days in a month, and even days of the week. However they believe decades, millennia, and centuries begin in year 1. My interpretation of that tells me that for some reason or another this calendar (which of course is used for AD/CE time) did not recognize year zero, although it existed. Year zero, in fact, was the year Christ was born (thus determining what historians refer to as the "Common Era".

So what do you think? Is 2010 the beginning of a new decade or not? I think it is

Its the beginning, otherwise decades wouldnt be able to say something as simple as the 80's or 90's. We would have to say the 81-90's and the 91-2000's

Yeah, it's the beginning of a new decade; the 10's. We're just repeating what we called each decade in the 20th century. Once we get to 2020 it'll be easier to call it the 20's and so forth.

lol, this reminds of the time I once went to IMDB and claimed Memento was one of the best films of the decade. Only to get a reply by some nut-job stating how wrong I was because 2000 was apart of the 90's. Some other guy replied afterwards saying he was wrong which lead to a lengthy debate.

Half-way through reading it I got a headache. So I closed the window, took some Tylenol, had a nap and vowed never to go back to IMDB again. :D

It's the Teenies! And it's the beginning. Why are people moaning about it now? They were pretty quiet about it during the damn millenium! Weve been doing the same for about 2000 years!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod