Games of the Decade

With 2010 in full swing, I figure it's high time to look back at the past ten years of gaming. We have come a LONG way from the cartridge systems of yesteryear and have began to move forward into new territory thanks to the Nintendo Wii, the Sony PS3, and the X-box 360. Old stalwarts like the DS, PSP and PS2 are still kicking (for now) and in a few years time, the next big console systems will grace our presences and join the growing ranks of games in our libraries.

But what is the point of this sudden post. Well, how about a periodic series where I list the good, the bad, the ugly, the obscure, the famous and infamous at the same time in video games. That is right, gentlemen and ladies, it is time to showcase some of the best games of the decade.

I am going to post three games here, with a little blurb about each every time I can think of doing it. If it came out in 2000-2009, it fits the bill. Let's get started with some early releases back in 2000.

Jet Grind Radio
Released June, 2000 for the Sega Dreamcast

256px-Jgrbox.jpg

One of the first real experiences in cel-shading graphics, a new phenomenon at the time, Jet Grind Radio was a reason to own a Sega Dreamcast. It was quirky fun with a lot of promise and style, mixed with the right amount of substance to keep you coming back. Starring as a kid on roller blades, your job is to paint the town in various colors in an oppressive, totalitarian Japanese city by tagging random spots with custom or professional made graffiti signs. It featured tight controls reminiscent of Tony Hawk, awesome techno be-bop music from a renegade DJ, and really cool animations that many a reviewer praised back in 2000. By today's standards it may look a little blocky and unrealistic, but frankly, the cel-shading works in a game like Jet Grind Radio, it just augments the fun factor of it all. In fact, there is a rumor that the game may get a revival on the Wii, if only the publishers were wise enough to see a ample opportunity for some really rad.

Perfect Dark
Released May 2000 on the Nintendo 64

Perfect_dark_box.jpg

While cartridge games were beginning to lose their steam, thanks to the Nintendo 64, some of these games surpassed even the expectations of the reviewers and players at the time. Perfect Dark was a Sci-Fi FPS starring Joanna Dark, a British secret service agent that pretty much just kicks major ass. Thanks to a really developed storyline dealing with government conspiracies and aliens attacking earth, Perfect Dark was a fantastic game that reminded people why the N64 was still going strong, even into 2002. Also, it helped that the development team, Rare, has had great success on the system, delivering what I consider to be their best work ever produced in games like Goldeneye 007 and Banjo-Kazooie. Plus, the multi-player was fantastic for the time, offering a slew of unlockables to everyone to enjoy, including some call backs from Goldeneye. Overall, Perfect Dark was a perfect game to be released at the turn of the century, even if it required that damn expansion pack to run it.

Daikatana
Released in May 2000 for the Nintendo 64 and the PC

Bitchad.jpg

Remember when John Romero, the developer of previous games like Doom and Quake, said he would make you his bitch? Well, the tables turned with Daikatana, a game so broken that it pretty much ruined Romero's company Ion Storm and is now considered one of the worst financial flops ever in video game history, and THAT is saying something. Daikatana was ambitious at best, but poorly executed thanks to a number of factors that would take a blog entry in it's own to explore. team problems, a ridiculous time schedule, a controversial ad campaign, and being outpaced by other technological advances at the time, Daikatana was lucky it saw the light of day; it was originally supposed to be released in 1997, and it shows by looking at it now. As it stands, it's nothing more than a curious piece of gaming history, one that won't be forgotten for all the wrong reasons.

Daikatana.jpg

So there you have it for now. Next time, 3 more games from the past decade that were memorable, be it good or bad.

Damn, I was thinking about writing a blog similar to this, now I can't you psychic idea stealer, you.

Mind if I add some every now and then?

Sure.

I don't mind at all, hell, for a year project this could be a pretty sweet thread going, one worthy of Archival gold status at least.

The Sims
Released in January 2000 for PC

The_Sims_Coverart.png

What is there to say about Will Wright's digital dollhouse that hasn't been said before? Fun, addictive, and time wasting, The Sims truly was a new gaming experience that brought a whole new type of gamer to the PC, mainly the girl who didn't really play games. You could create a family and literally control their every move; whether or not they got married, whether or not they did well in their job, you could even make them happy or depressed, and even kill them. With two sequels and countless expansion packs this game definitely deserves a mention.

Diablo II
Released June 2000 for the PC

Diablo_II_Coverart.png

Hey, anyone remember killing Diablo in the 1990's? Well, he broke free and now you have to kill him again. Except this time it's not that easy. Before all you had to do was keep going farther and father down the catacombs of an old church, this time you will go through four acts, each in a different region of the world, and fight legions upon legions of undead and demonic forces just to get to Diablo. With incredible online play and a fantastic leveling system (including some of the first seen character skill trees ever) it's no wonder that people are still playing and BattleNet is still hosting servers for the game. And just when you thought you killed him for the last time, Blizzard goes and announces that he's free AGAIN and will be seen sometime in the next century for you to kill (we all know how Blizzard is when it comes to creating a masterpiece)

Pokemon: Gold and Silver
Released October 2000 for the GameBoy Color

Pok%C3%A9mongold.png

New Pokemon GameBoy Games! Now you can run around in a new region collecting, training, breeding, and ultimately mastering over 100 new Pokemon, as well as old favorites! Your self-named trainer starts out as a beginner with his very first Pokemon (coming in at level five, as always) which is either a water, grass, or fire type, this time being named Cyndaquil, Totodile, and Chikorita respectively. The top-down perspective is the same, the battle system is the same, and you still have to work hard to catch that damn Pikachu (because we all know everybody wanted one), but in the end it was all worth it. And, when you were ready, you could level grind your favorite six to your heart's content by battling the Elite Four over and over again. Now who wouldn't want to do that?

I just realized that I need to start crossing off the ones you do too...or anyone else for that matter....

Seriously though guys, post some memories, lets make this a community compilation!

Silent Hill 2
Released in 2001 (PS2)

silent%20hill%202%20cover%20front.jpg

One of the best horrors and psychological thrillers even 9 years later from its release! Silent Hill 2 bought sweating in your gaming chair for many an hour. The plot is gripping, the monsters are disturbing, and the experience is extremely tense throughout. It has such great character design, that even to this day fans are still pondering and placing theories on character's actions and script. The perfect recipe for a thriller! I think this should be in the Game of the Decade list, because in my opinion, it is the best horror game to date! In fact, the only game that can fight it is....

Dead Space
Released in 2008 (PS3, 360, PC)

851818-dead_space_cover_large.jpg

Ok, so I wont actually compare this to SH2, since they are completely different horror games! But Dead Space is the best thriller in the very common cheesy, jumpy, conventional department! But it's certainly a game that puts you in the mixer right off the bat! As soon as you start, you are gripped into the immense plot and scenarios that yourself as Isaac becomes entwined within. With innovative ideas such as Stasis, Kinesis and Zero Gravity, this game puts the entertainment in entertainm....wait....it's fucking good alright!!? Bringing plot twists, monsters reaching a mile high, intricate detail, and many, many...many scares, this game definately deserves to be on this list!

okami-ps2.jpg

Okami
Playstation 2 - 2006

When people talk about how some games look like "water paintings come to life", it doesn't apply to any other game more so than Okami. In an age where there's not that much room left for innovation, Okami is a game that is quite literally unlike any game ever made before it, and most likely after it. It's unfortunate that it wasn't as commercially successful as it deserved to be, but those who have played it know how amazing it really is.

final-fantasy-x.jpg

Final Fantasy 10
Playstation 2 - 2001

It changed the way people looked at JRPGs, in the sense that it brought voice actors and facial expressions, to make the characters come to life. Not to mention the amazing gameplay and magnetic story, Final Fantasy 10 is one of Square-Enix's finest pieces of work, which is a big statement on its own.

Melee_cover.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Gamecube - 2001

Truly one of the best sequels ever made. The fun factor of this game is undeniable, and it's replay value has still not run out. This game is actually far more intricate than it is given credit for, as there are many minor details about every character that can make or break a fight. The original was such a huge hit, that the expectations for the sequel were almost too high to reach. But Melee did just that, and even went above

I'm glad you all are taking to this like a duck to water. It makes me all giggity inside.

Let's add three more, shall we.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Released October, 2001 for the N64, PS2, PSone, XBOX, PC, and Game Boy

Tony_Hawk%27s_Pro_Skater_3_Coverart.png

In what is considered the magnum opus of the entire franchise, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 has a interesting history. Behind the corporation tie ins and the hidden combos, there were new innovations on the control schemes that kept vets of the series aching for me. It was one of the last games released for the Nintendo 64, and more importantly, the first game on the Sony Playstation 2 to have online capabilities.

A little bit of history on that alone makes it a worthy entry, but add to this the addictive quality of the game before it became stale and a former shell of itself, and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 earns it's place as a memorable addition to the video game library.

Paper Mario
Released August, 2000 for the Nintendo 64

Papermario.jpg

Mario in an RPG is considered to be one of the few gaming oddities everyone loves. While Super Mario RPG kicked the series off, and Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga kept it going on the GBA, it was Paper Mario that brought clever animation and light-heartedness to the entire franchises. As a print out of your Italian stallion, you go through numerous worlds trying to free the seven star spirits and stop an evil plot by Bowser.

The paper effects at the time were amazing, and only got better as later incarnations of the game came out on the Gamecube and Wii. The badge system in the game was a great addition that added some strategy to the whole role-playing experience, something that we would see in future games like The World Ends With You, for example. Finally, the game is just fun, in that whimsical way that Mario can, and always will, be fun. Be it a paper cut out or not, Paper Mario is a very worthy entry into the Mario franchise, and another Nintendo masterpiece.

Katamari Damacy
Released September, 2004 for the PS2

KatamariDamacybox.jpg

Just one look at this cover and I defy you to explain what the hell is going on. Released for $20.00 on the Playstation as a budget title from Namco, it spawned such a culture shock for it's extremely offbeat humor that the game became something more. As the prince to the grand king of all cosmos, your job is to create stars using a Katamari, a giant ball that, when rubbed over an object, makes it stick to it. Hilarity ensues as you roll up dogs, cats, people, and eventually buildings and the land itself.

The games premise is so ridiculous that it is hard not to love. The king is such a narcissistic bastard that you love to hate him, and the music is, quite frankly, one of the reasons video games need to exists. This was a perfect storm in many ways, spawning a number of sequels that never strayed away from the core formula or the offbeat humor.Coupled with colorful graphics and easy controls, these traits made sure this oddball has a spot on your game shelf. And if you still never played it, I would make sure to pick it up as soon as possible, since the price is now up to $30.00 new online.

katamari-damacy-20040827085327822.jpg

Good shout on Tony Hawks 3!!
I have one more to add, which I cant believe I forgot!

Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker
Released at 2003 (Gamecube)

PID283951W8C95QDDL.jpg

Now some of you may not agree with me on this one! Bringing in the new Toon Link, this game was very much a love it/hate it kind of game. But it is personally my favourite game to date! Whilst OoT and MM in the recent past before Wind Waker were well-made, offered great atmosphere in dungeons and portrayed the fantasy elements of their worlds so well; Wind Waker bought in the same! But in a different way. Much more character was added to the people within the game, and it gave this Zelda installment more of a fun adventure feel (Motherfucking pirates too)! Simplified graphics was also a large difference from previous Zelda installments, which may have bought less realism, but a MUCH smoother feel to it all. The lights and shadows created by the environment were set upon Link and his surroundings beautifully, with a nice cel-shaded aesthetic to put the cherry on top. Exploration and side-quests were epic in this game! Land being the usual format of the Zelda overworld, was replaced by the sea in Wind Waker. Featuring 49 islands, with only 25/26 being used for the main story! Leaving the rest to fully explore at your own accord. Having the mystery of what you could be sailing to next is truly an epic adventure feeling!
Okay, so maybe I'm being a little biased ;), but this game is definately one of the happiest games I've ever played. It would cheer up a legless sprinter! And it always puts a smile on my face, even 7 years later from its release. It's even sparked up a whole new series for Toon Link, with 2 DS games under his belt already, and a spot in Super Smash Bros. Brawl!

Argh....

More I need to cross off my list.

I had a list of around 100 games notable...so far most of them have been axed.

Good job so far, keep em coming and start discussing it too...come on GR community!

Vagrantstorybox.jpg

Vagrant story. one of a kind unique rpg experiance yet to be matched. it has weapon customization that would take years upon years to master. the idea of targeting a enemies limbs was one of the first in it's genre. then the range of your attacks. sure, it was a dungeon crawler, but this dungeon crawler was well worth it. the combat was ingenious. the characters neatly and nicely fleshed out. the story told in the form of speech bubbles. this game was one of a kind and still is.

God_Hand.jpg

spanking enemies and mule kicking them in the crotch. need i say more?

Gowbox.jpg

it's god of fucking war. what else do you need to hear? maybe the total badassery that is kratos? the ripping off of arms and beating them outside the head with it? this is the ONLY game that gets quick time events right.

DMC1FrontCover.jpg

the game that jump started a whole new genre. without it, we wouldn't have the new take on ninja gaiden, nor would we have god of war, or any of the other type of games like this. devil may cry is the orginal, and still the best in the genre.

Haha sorry Links! I HAD to put WW in (I'm playing it right now :D)

Good mention for Okami, Rakon! I absolutely love that game. And it is one of the most unique games to have been released not just this decade, but in the entire gaming era!

Also, Devil May Cry was going to be one of mine later too :p I have only one more left to post, but I'll wait a little bit! You may even be able to guess what it is ha!

I never played Vagrant Story, but people go on about it...should I give it an ebay purchase?!

LinksOcarina said:
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
In what is considered the magnum opus of the entire franchise

I'm pretty sure the first one was considered the best.

Vampire Masquerade bloodlines.
Released Novemeber 2004 on PC

vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines.jpg

No doubt, one of THE most underrated games the history of video games. It was often overlooked because it was wreck to run when it was first released. It was plagued with bugs and horrible performance issues,only to be improved with official and unofficial patches made by the community. The game was extremely deep and offered an alternative take on the RPG/FPS genre which some consider this game to be one of the best games of all time. It featured an engrossing story and many playable classes which made gamers play the game again 2-3 times over. All the dialogue in the game had been well voiced and choices in the game actually made a difference, giving players an experience like no other.

Viewtiful Joe
Released at 2003, Gamecube as well as 2004, PS2

viewtiful-joe-boxart.jpg

One of the Capcom 5 (Alongside Resident Evil 4, P.N.03, Killer 7 and Dead Phoenix (Canceled)) and has a right to be. It was hailed as a triumph and is still a highlight in the GC era. The cell-shaded style mixed with the stylistic combat made it a sure-fire hit and gave it a cult following. This is an essential to the libraries of GC and PS2 owners everywhere, and is definitely one of the best Action/Adventure titles for their systems.

Resident Evil 4
2005, Released on Gamecube, PS2, PC and Wii. (and to a lesser extent, iPhone)

resh.jpg

No more needs to be said, aside from the fact that you are still - 5 years later - able to purchase a copy brand new.

MattAY said:
Haha sorry Links! I HAD to put WW in (I'm playing it right now :D)

Good mention for Okami, Rakon! I absolutely love that game. And it is one of the most unique games to have been released not just this decade, but in the entire gaming era!

Also, Devil May Cry was going to be one of mine later too :p I have only one more left to post, but I'll wait a little bit! You may even be able to guess what it is ha!

I never played Vagrant Story, but people go on about it...should I give it an ebay purchase?!

i think you should buy it. it's worth it.

No mention of Jak and Daxter? The game that introduced open environment 3D gameplay to platformers? You know the one with no load times and the beloved "see there, go there" gameplay.

Jak & Daxter takes place in a huge 3D world complete with a variety of areas, such as a tropical jungle, snowy mountain top, volcanic lava bed, and more. But opposed to past platformers that feed you one specific area at a time, Jak & Daxter puts the choice in your hands by meshing them into a single cohesive world. If you can see it (and you'll be able to see a lot), you can get to it - it's all a matter of figuring out how. With all of these places to explore, you'll never feel like you're just trudging through the same area over and over again. Go anywhere you want, whenever you want. That's my kind of game.

Not only did it change the way platformers are played it also made the genre more appealing to older audiences with it's witty humour and more mature gameplay.

Taken from Brian Gees GR review which can be found here: http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/ps ... sor-legacy

Jak_and_Daxter_-_The_Precursor_Legacy_Coverart.png

Here's one that definitely has to be here...

rock-band-ps3.jpg

Rock Band
PS3/Xbox 360 - 2007

Whether the hardcore like it or not, gaming is becoming a mainstream thing. Well, I shouldn't say gaming. I should say video games are being played by a more mainstream audience (I don't think anyone of them have ever heard of God of War, or even Final Fantasy). This can be credited to the immense success of the Nintendo Wii, and this game; Rock Band. People who normally cringe at the sight of a console can't look away when this game comes on. For better of for worse, Rock Band has helped make video games mainstream. Who knows? Maybe we'll see a Zelda Rock Band...

Here are some more.

Grand Theft Auto III
Released October 2001 for the PS2, PC, and Xbox

GTA3boxcover.jpg

Not really much else needs to be said about the game. Pure violence and one of the first mainstream adult games, GTA III had you play as the silent protagonist Claude in doing odd jobs around Liberty City for the mafia, the triads, and other gangs and bad guys. It was run of the mill mission based game with a pretty surprising story, one that was filled with twists and turns and enough interest for the most die-hard of GTA fans.

But what set the game apart was the world. Vast, open ended and total sandbox gameplay made GTA III one of the biggest worlds to explore to date. It was lively and varied, filled with a ton of hidden nooks and crannies for special weapons and upgrades, and of course, the old school kill frenzies. The game became the archetype of all sandbox games, and was later perfected by the next numerical sequel six years later, GTA IV.

The Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask
Released October, 2000 for the Nintendo 64

ZeldaMMbox.jpg

How does one follow up perfection? After the smash hit that was the Ocarina of TIme, the Legend of Zelda series went into a curious, yet welcome direction, with Majoras mask. A game which let's you play a young link and a unfamiliar yet similar world known as Termina, where Link, transformed by the possessed skull kid, is transported there as a deku scrub, and eventually, must use his Ocarina to save the world of Termia from the falling moon. Given 3 days that can be repeated as much as possible, you must traverse through four dungeons to release the guardians of the land.

To be honest, when I first played this game I did not like it as much as I hoped to, I felt it was a poor version of Ocarina of Time. Over the years, it has grown on me and has become a personal favorite of mine, one that rivals the likes of Ocarina of Time as a whole. The story was so beautiful and layerd it rivals most modern generation games in terms of complexity and narrative, it's graphics were amazing for the time, it's sound was phenomenal as always, and the themes of death and rebirth, something I missed as a child, make Majoras Mask a very powerful game.

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
Released in October, 2004 for the PS2

Shin_Megami_Tensei_III_Nocturne.jpg

Many RPG franchises never have had the pedigree to the likes of Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. Elder Scrolls, Wild Arms, Romancing SaGa, and others have had great successes and critical praise, but when asking about what is famous in terms of it's calibur, they pale in comparison to the titans of RPGS.

One of these franchises is the Shin Megami Tensei, a franchise that has endured since 1992, and is only beginning to become a household name in the U.S. The first major release in the U.S, Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, was a niche game that is admittingly not for everyone, but it was memorable for it's harsh difficulty, an interesting cameo by Dante from Devil May Cry, a complex storyline dealing with death, destruction, demons and angels, and the abilities to summon demons and mythological creatures available to fight, and befriend, at your whim. The game is difficult, the style is japanese, yet Nocturne, like the entire Shin Megami Tensei series, has become one of the sleeping giants of the game industry, one that has only begun to grow into something big.

I was hoping you'd put Majora's Mask in. I love the game. I just love the idea of having a time limit in dungeons. Also, the groundhog day effect is a great scenario.
I personally loved collecting all the masks in Majora. Some were damn taxing to figure out though!

Dont want this to die out, so I'll post another:

Metroid Prime
Released 2002/2003 for Gamecube

MetroidPrimebox.jpg

Another series from Nintendo that is loved by fans worldwide. Retro Studios offer the first FPS version of Metroid, being able to see the world of Tallon IV through the eyes of Samus herself! Gameplay being described (by GR) as Zelda from the future, bringing puzzling that is entwined with power beam action and space jumping! I loved the idea of researching for the story yourself too. The ability to scan the surroundings and files scattered throughout the game let you learn what happened at your very own pace. A story that makes you want to keep playing just to see what happened next! Abilities such as different beams, finding secrets with the x-ray visor, and my personal favourite - fighitng space pirates in the dark with the thermal visor! Intelligent fighting with fantastic lighting and graphics make Metroid Prime an amazing gaming experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod