The GR Far Cry 2 Review

EliaSoZ

Rookie
The reviewer actually applauded the character models, instead of saying how bland they look.

That oversight just really bothers me.

//and it's not a matter of opinion, they really look bad

I'm playing on the 360 and I think they're fine. Maybe you can see a greater diffrence on a nice PC. The character models are varied, and as far as character design I don't know how they could have spiced them up considering the setting.

Specifically what is it about the models that you don't like?

IGN gave the graphics an 8.0, while GTA IV got a 10...If that isn't ludacris I don't know what is.

The character models are not great, but not noticeably bad considering how good the rest of the environment looks.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Character models look excellent, the AI is very stupid though.
The AI isn't exactly ground breaking, or even constantly out smarting the player like it often did in FEAR (holy snap, they jumped over the rail on the 2nd floor to bypass the steps that I was camping? That's pro!), but they do okay. They react to the situation, they're reactions make sense, they use cover. Sometimes the way a guy in a sedan will come gunning right at you when you're behind a machine gun, makes you wonder if these guys are looking for a payday or 72 virgins. It could definitely be better, but so far I'm not really complaining. Except maybe their senses are a bit too sharp, and their pursuits a touch too dogged.

The whole original Far Cry feeling is gone, the feeling that you actually outwitted and outlasted your enemy. Right now it just feels like all of the enemies have xray vision and can see you for miles ahead before you can even see them. Even after having played on the highest difficulty now for a bit, this still feels wrong. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? You just can't fire a single shot or even knife one of the suckers to death, without getting a whole regiment of freedom fighters buzzing around your head like they are bees and you stuck your head in a jar of honey.

O and what happened to peeking? The last thing I would do when I know I am surrounded by 20 big black men with bigger guns is expose my whole body in the open. You might as well paint a cross on your forehead.

I remember playing the original Far Cry for quite a long time, setting traps all over the place and luring baddies into the wild to take them out one by one, instead of rushing in with a submachine gun ye olde rambo style..
Somehow, with all the errands you are doing all the time and the fact that there actually is a whole map, it just somehow feels like GTA: scary africa edition. Which is not necesarrily a bad thing, but it feels quite a bit different. Such a shame. If I had actually paid for it, I would have been somewhat dissappointed for sure.

The whole seen a mile away thing IS really annoying, One of my biggest complaints with this game, and Crysis.

As for the character models, I meant they look really bland and stiff. It's like I'm playing GTA IV. Many reviews noticed this (like the IGN review).

Peanutkiller, this isn't a chat room or GameFAQs. Use the edit button if you want to add something.

Sam

What I want to know is the same thing IGN asked in their review of the game (though I was wondering this before said review):

What the hell does this game have anything to do with Far Cry? No Jack Carver, none of the story elements from the game, nothing. Fancy visuals and a big world, yeah, Far Cry did that, but that's not enough to warrant calling it a sequel. It's like brand recognition is the only reason Ubisoft named the game Far Cry 2.

Man, they seem to have killed the franchise after EA bought Crytek from them. Far Cry Vengeance on Wii was just horrible in every way, for example. Drastically bad model and texture pop-in (like, ten feet in front of you, no joke), bad graphics overall (and its not just because its the Wii), even worse-looking pre-rendered cutscenes, horrible voice acting (and not even that so-bad-its-awesome kind of bad), and finished off with controls that make me want to commit seppuku with my Wii remote.

The only time enemies spot me is when I approach in a vehicle or at a run. Otherwise, they don't know I'm there until they hear the brush rustling or hear me fire my first round. Using a silenced pistol or dart rifle usually keeps them from spotting me.

Enemies in FC2 might not be brilliant strategists, but at least they do things that are interesting. I've been out-flanked, outnumbered, out-stealthed, out-run, and just plain run over by more enemies than I can count.

been playing too much fallout, my copy of fc2 is sitting here unopened. but when i played it over at ubisoft, i thought it looked great.

This sort of topic is proof that a comments section under reviews would be great.

used44 said:
This sort of topic is proof that a comments section under reviews would be great.

yes, and a modified version of that is in the tech queue. however, what i really want is for EliaSoz to go and write his/her own review to contrast blake's. i even did it myself over blake's force unleashed review.

used44 said:
I would just go through the archives and burn on Jesse Constantino all day.
Yeah, I hate that guy. He smells. Really bad.

And I'm pretty sure I saw him eat a kitten once. He'd deny it if you brought it up, but he knows that I know that he knows that I saw him do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod