Sleep

How would you rate your general sleep quality?

• Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good

• Just Okay

• Bad

• Terrible

• All of the Above

• Total voters
I agree with Wicked_Liquid. I know this probably won't help you De-Ting, but I'd like to share it with you anyway.

Stress is a huge one. Eliminating "stressors" can seriously help us to get a better night's rest.

Last year, I was going through a great deal of stress, or at least to me, it felt like a great deal. It was mostly because of my judo club.

Without going into too much detail, I was on the judo club's committee of management and unfortunately, there was lots of arguments and a lot of conflict inside the committee of management. So much at that, that it destroyed friendships and everyone, even those outside the committee (parents, people coming to train etc.), could feel the tension in the air. I was caught right in the middle.

This was causing me so many sleepless nights and on top of that, was creating more "work" for me outside of my working life, work which I wasn't getting paid for. I couldn't work on the things I wanted to work on (hell, this is honestly one of the reasons why I resigned from GR Strips). I was beginning to hate judo.

Full time work, GR Strips, judo committee, coaching kids, trying to go to the gym and trying to train in judo? I felt very claustrophobic, I felt like I had absolutely no room or time, for me.

Eventually, I made the difficult decision to resign from the committee and I also took a further step back and resigned as a kid's coach. So now when it comes to judo, I only train - I no longer do any work for the club and I no longer do any coaching, basically what I did when I first started.

Some people didn't like my decision. Some people (particularly the parents who bring their kids to judo) give me odd, even nasty looks when I come in, like I've betrayed the head coach or something... but at the end of the day, I feel a lot better for my decisions. I feel a massive weight lifted off my shoulders and I sleep a lot easier at night. On top of that, I have a lot more time on my hands now and I have a new found sense of freedom. I also now train at two different clubs... one week, I go to my old one, the next week, I go to a different one, vice versa. Gives my life some variety.

This whole situation has also helped me to not care about what others think of me. Don't get me wrong, I do care about people's opinions of me, but nowadays, those people need to actually matter to me. If it's just... I dunno, "Bob the guy who brings his kid to judo" who I don't know very well and he doesn't like me very much for whatever reasons? Then fuck him, I don't care, it's not my problem.

It's helped me to not be such a "yes man" and to better focus on the things that make me happy. 2017 has started off quite positive for me and for the most part, I sleep a lot better and generally feel better about myself.

As for the whole exercise thing... yes. I agree to that as well.

I don't know what kind of exercise you were doing. There's too many variables involved, e.g. what kind of exercise(s) you were doing, the intensity, the duration, the time of day etc.

I find that when I go to the gym and lift weights, I'll be very tired at night and will sleep quite easily. I'll generally train for about an hour and a half, maybe up to two hours (depending on how busy the gym is) and I try and train straight after work, so about 4:30 or 5 PM. Lifting weights will make you tired and ready for bed.

On the contrary... on Tuesday/Thursday nights, I find it harder to sleep because I go to judo, and that's a different, more cardiovascular form of exercise. Because I get home late from judo, my body is quite "awake" and it's hard to sleep.

It's been suggested to me that yes, regular and intensive exercise can help you sleep, but you shouldn't be doing it close towards bed time. Tuesday/Thursday nights I don't have a choice due to judo, unless I don't go.

Our diets can also contribute to our lack of sleep, especially if we're eating foods high in sugar or other unwanted chemicals (McDonalds for example, not saying you do). Same goes for drinks.

I dunno if this will help at all, but I hope it does. I understand that this is a very difficult situation where the solution is much easier said than done.

De-Ting said:
It just proves to myself once again that I'm cut from a different cloth, cast from a different mold than everyone I know and what everyone expects me to be.

Haha geez dude.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod