Sleep

How would you rate your general sleep quality?

• Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good

• Just Okay

• Bad

• Terrible

• All of the Above

• Total voters

De-Ting

Rookie
How long do you usually sleep?

How long does it take you to fall asleep?

What time do you try to wake up? Do you use an alarm?

Do you use a sleep aid, medicinal or environmental?

How tired are you when you wake up and throughout the day?

Do you need a nap to get you through the day?

I voted for good, typically I sleep between 6-7 hours during the week and 8-9 on the weekends.

Never takes me log to fall asleep, I'm usually out right after laying down.

Yes to an alarm during the week, typically wake up around 6:30 or so. After 8 on the weekends

Don't use sleep aids, I don't need them and I'm on call 24/7 so I need to be able to wake up to answer a phone call in the middle of the night.

Depends on the day, sometimes not at all, sometimes really tired, usually get coffee in me and I'm good to go throughout the day.

No to naps. I don't think I've napped since college.

I voted Bad.

I usually get somewhere between 4-6 hours of sleep each night, maybe a little more on the weekends.

I don't have as much trouble falling asleep as I used to, probably due to exhaustion. Every now and then, though, I'll have trouble turning my brain off so random thoughts just keep coming into my head, making it hard to get to sleep.

I have an alarm set for 6:00 AM on the weekdays to make sure I'm up and get to work on time. However, I rarely need it because one or both of my kids tend to wake up before it goes off, these days usually somewhere between 4:30-5:30.

No sleep aids.

Usually feel pretty tired when I wake up, depending on how much sleep I got. I've noticed in my life that I seem to do better with multiples of 3. If I have slept 3, 6, or 9 hours, I wake up pretty good and don't feel sluggish at all. In between those, however, I'll usually feel like I need more rest. I wonder if there is some element of REM sleep that finishes right after those 3 hour increments, leading to feeling more rested if I wake up then. After moving around for a bit I'm usually good for the day, unless I have extended periods of sitting doing nothing. If so, then I start getting drowsy.

I rarely have the opportunity to get a nap, so beyond the very occasional couple hour nap on a weekend I would say no.

Green_Lantern said:
I voted for good, typically I sleep between 6-7 hours during the week and 8-9 on the weekends.

I feel like those are my total hours of sleep through the week and weekends. It's not that bad, thankfully, but still it's pretty bad.

How long do you usually sleep? It ranges from as little as 4 hours to as long as 9 or 10. Depends on how I'm feeling.

How long does it take you to fall asleep? Depends on how sleepy I get. 10 minutes at the least sometimes it takes a couple hours.

What time do you try to wake up? Do you use an alarm? In the mornings, usually at 8AM. I don't need to use an alarm unless it's really needed.

Do you use a sleep aid, medicinal or environmental? I need to have the fan on at least some kind of white noise.

How tired are you when you wake up and throughout the day? Not very. Depends on the day.

Do you need a nap to get you through the day? Depends on what I'm doing and what I'm dealing with. Sometimes people just tire me out and I need to lie down and close my eyes.

I got a fitbit just so that I could track how much sleep I get.

Apparently I sleep decently. I barely nap, but I usually don't get the 8 hours I need.

I voted good. Generally, I can manage to get at least close to 7 hours of sleep during the week, and plenty more on the weekends.

The quality is the only part that would bring me down from "great" territory. While I can generally sleep through the night just fine, I frequently feel like I'm getting my best sleep right when I need to wake up. Sleeping an hour later during the week (till 7 am) would be ideal for me, I think.

I voted "Good" was well. I sleep pretty good for the most part. I find I sleep very well on nights when I went to the gym in the afternoon, but on nights when I come home from judo, I find it very hard to sleep. So... two nights a week I don't sleep great, five nights a week I sleep pretty good.

I used to sleep terribly, because I couldn't turn my brain off and I'd be up all night anxious and stressing. Now though, I've cut a lot of stresses out of my life, so I sleep a lot better.

During the week, I'm usually in bed by 10 or 10:30 PM. I probably get somewhere between six to eight hours of sleep. Probably seven on average?

Depends on how tired I am. Sometimes it takes a while (an hour or so), sometimes it's pretty quick. My partner manages to fall asleep super quick, something I am quite envious of.

I do use an alarm, yeah, but only on days when I have to be up in the morning. Monday to Friday, I'll set my alarm for 6:30 AM so that I can get up for work and be on time. On Saturdays, I'll have my alarm set for around 9 AM, so that I can go to judo and be there on time. On Sundays, I don't have an alarm, but usually wake up around 8 or 9 AM on average.

I take a supplement called "Delta Zone" which was recommended to me by my strength coach. He recommended it to me when I told him I have trouble sleeping on Tuesday/Thursday nights (I usually come from judo at around 9:30 PM, have dinner and I'm not in bed until 11 PM or so on those nights) - http://www.bodybuildingoz.com.au/sleep- ... -zone.html - I find it helps. I only really take this stuff on Tuesday or Thursday nights. Every other night, I'm generally okay without it.

It really depends on how much sleep I get. If I don't get enough sleep (for me, that's six hours or under), I wake up feeling extremely groggy. I feel sick. I honestly feel like I'm hung over, as if I was drinking all night, but I rarely touch alcohol.

Not very often. Sometimes, especially if I didn't sleep well the night before, I might have a nap before going to judo or something... but I find if I nap, I actually wake up feeling like crap (again, hang over effect). So yeah, don't nap very often because of it.

If anyone has trouble sleeping, here's a few tips that might be able to help. Some of you probably already know this stuff. For some people, they can still sleep regardless of these things or not.

If you can't sleep, don't look at the time:

If you need or want to be up early the next morning for any reason and you can't fall asleep, do not look at the time. It'll only stress you out and make it harder to go to sleep.

When you're in bed, don't look at bright objects (phone, tablets, laptop etc):

People who do this are essentially re-training their brain to think that "bed time" is no longer "bed time" but rather "device time", so instead of going to sleep, your brain will want to be looking at a screen instead.

If you can't sleep, get up:

If you can't sleep, don't force yourself to lie in bed with your eyes open. Instead, get out of bed and go do something for a while. Go get some water, read a book or a magazine, or maybe get on your computer (this kinda makes the second point a bit hypocritical, but it's not so bad because well, your computer isn't in bed with you, I hope). When you start feeling tired, go back to bed.

Avoid caffeinated drinks or/and sugary drinks during the day, especially at night:

Because this shit can make you bounce off walls.

If you go to bed late, try to reduce how much you stay up and take it one step at a time:

If you're someone who goes to bed late (whether it's 1 AM or 4 AM) and you want to go to bed earlier, you can try and go to bed at an earlier time, just not so dramatically. If you're someone who goes to bed at 2 AM typically and you try to force yourself to be in bed by 10 PM, it probably won't work. What you can try instead, is to go to bed at 1 AM, instead of 2. Then maybe a few nights later, or a week, try going to bed at 12 AM instead of 1. Slowly build up to an earlier stage.

Alternatively, one hard and probably unhealthy method (which is what I used to do) is that if you stay up late, force yourself to get up early the next day, gruel through the day with little to no caffeine or/and sugar, then when 10 PM or so rolls up, it's heavenly.

Sucks so much doing that, though. You probably shouldn't do it.

"Brain train" to sleep:

My strength coach suggested to me that if I have trouble sleeping, I can try and "train" my brain to sleep. Things like having screens off, or at least reduce brightness on screens, dimming down or turning off lights and reducing volume on electronic devices.

There's a few suggestions. They might help you out, if you're having trouble sleeping.

How long do you usually sleep? 6-9 hours. 9 on the weekends, 6 on the weeknights

How long does it take you to fall asleep? Usually instantly since I'm set to a sleep scheduale.

What time do you try to wake up? Do you use an alarm? On the weekdays I try to get up for 6am but its usually 6:10 or 6:20. I always use an alarm or else I won't wake up.

Do you use a sleep aid, medicinal or environmental? I used to suffer from Insomnia so I took prescription medication to help me sleep. I don't anymore and haven't suffered with Insomnia for almost 4 years

How tired are you when you wake up and throughout the day? I'm usually good. It really depends more on how my work day is than how much sleep I get. If it's excruciatingly boring then I'll feel tired throughout the day.

Do you need a nap to get you through the day? Nah.

I get terrible sleep, because I've been sleeping on a couch and work overnights. Whenever I sleep, the sun is shining and people in my apartment start out their day. Many times I would hear my landlord working on something.

I try my best to get 7 hours of sleep, but I'm usually woken up to use the restroom or just my mind bouncing back and forth. Lot of times during my off days, I'll get extremely mad at myself by waking up at a set time and deciding to go back to sleep causing a day off completely wasted.

Not long. It depends on if I have energy in me.

I try to wake up and hour and half before work, so I can shower and walk there. It's a mile and half walk. My alarm is from my cell phone, which I leave the notifications off silent mode for reasons I wish not to mention.

Nope, unless you're talking food. If I eat anything, I'll be close to passing out within an hour.

Tired as f*ck when I wake up. I'm not tired if I'm constantly doing something. The moment I sit down for a few minutes is the moment I get drowsy.

I try taking a nap on my days off, so I do stuff later on. It just results in my sleeping throughout the day.

How would you guys feel about having to sleep ~45% less over an unspecified period of time, having to be in bed and wake up at the same times each day?

Good sleeper generally (eight hours or so average) but then probably one night a week lately I just won't be able to sleep and will stay up so damn late and get maybe four hours of sleep. Conversely, sometimes I'll go to put the kids to bed at their bedtime and then just fall asleep with them and end up sleeping through the night for like 10 hours of sleep, haha.

For the most part I'm good though. Just maybe a little irregular/inconsistent.

De-Ting said:
How would you guys feel about having to sleep ~45% less over an unspecified period of time, having to be in bed and wake up at the same times each day?

Sounds horrible.

At the end of last year, I was going through a very stressful time where I was often feeling quite anxious, so I had a lot of trouble sleeping.

I would end up laying in bed awake and only getting three to five hours of sleep per night. When ever I woke up, I always felt really sick (head aches, sore/upset stomach etc).

In the end... in order to get rid of those stresses in my life, I cut them out.

It was hard, some people didn't like it, but I did what was best for me and now, I sleep a lot easier at night.

I thought it was selfish at first but for the first time in my life, it made me realize that there is nothing wrong with trying to look after yourself.

I need about 8 hours sleep like most people.
I so wish I could be like the few in the world who can just chirp up after 4 hours sleep like a new day in Mary-fucking-Poppins.

Doesn't take long to go to sleep or anything. I just never want the next day to arrive since I enjoy my evening chillout time too much!

No naps! Just coffee!

used44 said:
Good sleeper generally (eight hours or so average) but then probably one night a week lately I just won't be able to sleep and will stay up so damn late and get maybe four hours of sleep. Conversely, sometimes I'll go to put the kids to bed at their bedtime and then just fall asleep with them and end up sleeping through the night for like 10 hours of sleep, haha.

For the most part I'm good though. Just maybe a little irregular/inconsistent.

This! Less so now but still it made me laugh.

Okay, here's the deal.

I don't sleep on a schedule. I have trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, and waking up. I typically stay in bed about 9-10 hours at a time either sleeping or trying to sleep. This puts me on a different wavelength as everybody else, as I also typically stay awake for 16-18 hours, which makes my personal day longer than 24 hours.

We've tried and failed multiple times to change this. Last month, my dad paid to put me on a self-help program called SHUTi. Without any medical diagnoses, or even a consultation with an actual doctor, the program has instructed me to get into bed and out of bed at set times, and follow "best practices" for getting restful sleep.

I'm 4 weeks into the program now and I'm just exhausted every day. Sleeping isn't any better or easier. In fact, my quality of sleep has been much worse. Like...very, very bad. Nothing good has come from this excruciating experience so far.

Now I'm sitting here angrily typing this up at 3 AM, two hours past my scheduled bed time, and I'm supposed to be up and moving for the day at 7 AM. I've followed the guidelines, I've tried to stay positive, but now I'm passed tired; I'm livid.

Sorry, this isn't anyone's problem but my own, and there isn't really anything anyone could do to help, but I'm so starved of sleep I don't care. It just proves to myself once again that I'm cut from a different cloth, cast from a different mold than everyone I know and what everyone expects me to be.

I'm glad to hear that you're at least trying to do something to help yourself, but man, this doesn't sound very helpful at all. It actually sounds really painful.

I think, as hard as it might be, you should (if you haven't already) speak to your dad and let him know how you're feeling. Tell him that this program isn't helping and tell him that you're actually feeling worse for it. It's been a month, surely by now there should have been some positive progress if this program is legit? Don't blame yourself either.

It's easier said than done, but I think you should try and seek professional help, either from a doctor/psychiatrist or a psychologist, especially a professional who specializes in the field of sleep.

Master_Craig said:
It's easier said than done, but I think you should try and seek professional help, either from a doctor/psychiatrist or a psychologist, especially a professional who specializes in the field of sleep.
Did, twice. Nobody was able to help or identify a cause. I'm gonna have to try again sometime this year before I'm not allowed to be on my dad's insurance plan anymore.

My life isn't terrible by any means. This is just a major inconvenience.

You've probably heard this already but if not I'll mention it. Exercise. Exercise. Exercise. Working out every day can play a beneficial role in your sleeping habits.

I mentioned before I suffered with Insomnia 4 years ago and it was hell. But to be honest I was going through a rough break up. It was rough, like, really rough, and I found myself unable to sleep at all to the point where I was experiencing hallucinations. I talked about my breakup a little bit on the forums but didn't go into much detail since I was embarrassed to. But it was so long ago that I don't care anymore.

I also found myself in an unhealthy rebound relationship with a girl who was way too crazy and caused way too much drama that I care to get into. But I got some help and was prescribed Ambien. Eventually I got over it but my problem was connected to the stressor and once I got over that stressor I got over my insomnia.

The point of all this is you're not alone when it comes to sleep problems and there is a solution out there for you. Take some time and see if there is a stressor in your life that could be contributing to your problems. In the mean time get plenty of exercise, drink plenty of water and eat right. Have you also tried going in for a sleep study? I did one of those where you're hooked up to a million wires throughout the night and are monitored as you sleep for 8 hours. It's hard to sleep being all hooked up and I think I only slept for like half an hour but they were able to discover some things that I found to be beneficial.

Alot of times we just need to make peace with ourselves in order to move on. And yeah, I know, easier said than done.

WickedLiquid said:
You've probably heard this already but if not I'll mention it. Exercise. Exercise. Exercise. Working out every day can play a beneficial role in your sleeping habits. ... drink plenty of water and eat right.
I do. It doesn't.

WickedLiquid said:
Take some time and see if there is a stressor in your life that could be contributing to your problems.
If there is a specific thing that's subconsciously messing me up to prevent me from sleeping well, it's probably the fact that I don't sleep well. To quote Fat Bastard, "I eat because I'm unhappy. I'm unhappy because I eat. It's a vicious cycle."

WickedLiquid said:
Have you also tried going in for a sleep study?
Twice, like I said. After the first one, they tried putting me on medication. It didn't work. After the second one, they didn't offer any help. So far I'm an unsolvable case. Additionally, I've been put on medication to treat restless leg syndrome, which has shown up in my gene pool before, but it did nothing other than assured I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod