Selling points?

Kijan

Rookie
I've been asking myself for a while ... which parts of a game make or break the deal with a potential customer? Is it the graphics? Music? Story? Gameplay?

Now I know, everyone will buy a game where everything is of a high quality, but for you ... what are the two most important things a game should have?

For me it would gameplay and story. I forgive a game if it does not have the best physics engine, best realistic graphics or so. But gameplay and story are a must. :D

Care to share your thoughts? :)

I must have an ace story. But if the gameplay is SUPERB then it's fine.

EG, Lost Planet 2 sucks in the story part, but its gameplay makes up for it majorly.

My other need is music. I LOVE the music in some games. Okami being a strong favourite, I remember running and running around Ryoshima Coast just so I could listen to the nice music over and over again!
Viewtiful Joe, again music is ace, but story pretty much sucks. HOWEVER, gameplay makes up for it.

In short, my 2 highest needs are probably 1) music, 2) story, then JUST at 3) gameplay.

For me it's story and gameplay, but gameplay is a BIG category. In order for gameplay to be good the controls and physics in the game must be good. If a game's physics engine lets me jump too high and it becomes an inconvenience (or removes realism when the game is going for realism) then the gameplay isn't that great. Graphics help, but if they were too important I wouldn't still play FFVII or others like that...

^ Haha, being an Achievement Whore, I know where you're coming from!

(Unless you were joking, then I may have just embarassed myself.....)

For me it needs a great story and gameplay if those suck then it needs a good online, case in point COD: MW2

Interesting points, thank you for sharing them with. Most of my friends I talked just want awesome graphics, so I wanted to hear other opinions from people across the big puddle. :)

^Do all your "awesome-graphics" friends play on consoles?
If so, they should make their way to a PC sometime and see what they're missing out on. Really, there is no comparison between the way a console game looks on a big-screen TV, and the way a PC game looks with all its enhancements on a big-screen TV or monitor.

keepithowitis said:
^Do all your "awesome-graphics" friends play on consoles?
If so, they should make their way to a PC sometime and see what they're missing out on. Really, there is no comparison between the way a console game looks on a big-screen TV, and the way a PC game looks with all its enhancements on a big-screen TV or monitor.

They are all PC players --> FPS fanatics. But now we've had some talks about this subject and maybe they will also give other games a shot.

Anyway, thanks for the honest replies guys. :D

It's all about immersion and story. I could honestly play through a crappy game if the story intrigues me enough to want to know what happens.

Then there are times like FFXIII, where I get too frustrated and then sell the game and look up the ending on YouTube.

But that's rare.

Definitely co-op, especially local co-op. Some of my best memories involve a brother or a bestfriend sitting next to me. NFL Blitz, you are the love of my life~

Music, Story, Gameplay, Graphics, Interface

But it depends on what genre of game your playing, IE if it's a space simulator then Interface should be way up there with Story and Gameplay

Gameplay and fun factor.

They seem different to me; as a game can play great, it wouldn't mean I'll have loads of fun with it. An example here could be GTR2: just because it's a great racing sim, it doesn't mean I'll have loads of fun with it (I'm way out of the target audience for that one).
On the other hand, a game may be real fun to play, but have glaring flaws in the gameplay (I can assume From Russia With Love may fall in this category, with it being easy and being more forgiving than other Bond games. As well as Bond Focus).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle