Revisiting unliked games

Longo_2_guns

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Have you ever played a game and gone "Well, I'm not a fan of this," only to pick it up later on and enjoy it?

I'm not talking so much like really bad/mediocre games, moreso games that just didn't click the first time you played them.

For me, that game was No More Heroes. I just didn't get it at first. And then I picked it up almost a year later and ADORED it. It's still one of my favorite games.

How about you?

I was like this with Oblivion at first. Got it just after launch for the 360, and wasn't really keen on it until i went back to it after 4 months. And then i spent more hours playing it than sleeping.

I'm like this with pretty much all of the X series (Link). Probably mainly because when they first came out the games were extremely buggy and there's a huge learning curve. Also the production values are low... real low. Don't expect a game like Freelancer like I did. Once you get past the first few rough hours, however, you'll be treated to a pretty addicting game about micromanaging your intergalactic corporation. Like protecting your supply chain, finding suppliers and buyers, etc.

I've thought about going back and revisiting Darksiders at some point. I was sorely disappointed by that game and can't remember the last time I was so frustrated with a control scheme. I gave up at the first boss where you had to throw the bombs back at the guy or something like that. It was just so clunky and unintuitive that I gave up out of frustration which is something I usually never do.

I thought the story and the lore behind the game were pretty interesting though so if I ever get time I may go back and give the game another try.

madster111 said:
I was like this with Oblivion at first. Got it just after launch for the 360, and wasn't really keen on it until i went back to it after 4 months. And then i spent more hours playing it than sleeping.

I was just like this as well. When I first played Oblivion, I didn't really like it and had no idea what the hell I was doing. Stopped playing. Tried it again about six months later and I really got into it.

I've got a few other games like this.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within is a good example. I played it a few times and I didn't really like it. Then I tried it again like, two years later after getting it, and I thought it was a damn awesome game.

City of Heroes got me too. The only MMO I really ever got into (may it rest in peace). When I first played it, I only got to level sixteen or so, then I stopped. About a year later I watched a superhero movie (I forget which one) and decided to re-subscribe. Ended up joining a supergroup (guild) and getting a level 50 character (max level). Good times.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Played it a few times and couldn't get into it, then I decided to give it a proper go. Awesome game.

As much as I loved Metroid: Prime and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, I absolutely hated Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. I finally finished a year or two after I actually got it, and I didn't really enjoy it. I only finished it because I wanted to finish it. So it felt like a chore, honestly.

Okami was like that for me. I played it about 10 hours at first, got bored and loaned it to a friend. When I got it back I decided to give it another try and enjoyed it very much.

Most recently, it was RE6 for me. I bought it day one (the collectors edition with all the previous RE games) and I am just now starting to get into it more. Although I am only playing it on the side, I still get bored and take a few days break here and there.

PineappleUltra said:
Most recently, it was RE6 for me. I bought it day one (the collectors edition with all the previous RE games) and I am just now starting to get into it more. Although I am only playing it on the side, I still get bored and take a few days break here and there.
That game was so polarizing, this kind of thing wouldn't surprise me.

To answer the topic, I honestly can't think of anything I've gone back to and liked. I usually don't go back to games if they can't get me the first time. I guess I just think I have better things to do or other responsibilities to spend time on than a game I don't like.

Yeah I wasn't too fond of Resident Evil 6. It had a great start in Leon's campaign (which is the best campaign of the lot I reckon), but the rest just feels so lackluster and so... boring. Chris and Jake's campaign seriously feel like generic third person shooters.

It was a shame, I managed to finish RE6 but I only finished it just so I could, you know? It honestly became a chore for me to play. ESPECIALLY Jake's campaign.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod