Violent video games - how old when you first played?

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
So once again, I've been hearing more news reports and garbage about violent video games, how they're bad and turning kids into terrible human beings.

So, how old were you when you played your first violent video game?

And by "violent" I'm talking... graphic violence, gore that kind of thing.

I think for me, I was seven years old and playing Doom on the Super Nintendo. Back then, that game absolutely terrified me, but for some reason it kept dragging me back to play it again, push through it and somehow finish the damn game.

You somehow finish Doom on the SNES? Nice, I thought it was harder than it needed to be without saving.

I didn't play any violent games until I borrowed Doom on the SNES from a friend. I think when I was...11?

Mortal Kombat was graphic but in a blatantly obvious DO NOT IMPALE YOUR FRIENDS sort of way.

The original birds eye view GTA was great b/c it encouraged your imagination to run wild.

As for shaping my world view at a young age? I have Leisure Suit Larry to thank for that.

Mortal Kombat was probably the first game I played that I'd classify as gory. I only played that on my uncle's Genesis, though.

I spent a lot of time playing Diablo, however. And Rampage.

The first game that I played that stood out to me for being graphic or gory was the original prince of persia game. It came out in 1990 so that would put me at 11 at the time.

GIFSoup

C_nate said:
The first game that I played that stood out to me for being graphic or gory was the original prince of persia game. It came out in 1990 so that would put me at 11 at the time.

GIFSoup

Oh man. Seeing that .gif makes me remember the Goddamn music that plays when you die.

Like most people, Mortal Kombat was my introduction to violence in games. Same goes for Doom. Like Ugh I saw it at around age 6. I was too young to play the game, as in understand it, I just remember it looking really scary yet somehow fascinating. I got into the Doom games when I was a little older, I'd say at 9 I was playing Doom which was the first violent game I played at home. I can recall playing Doom 2 on my computer while listening to Offspring on CD, good times.

The sad thing was that's about as far as I got when it came to PC gaming... like, ever.

The first game I played where I thought "holy crap, this is the most fucked up thing I have ever played" would have to be Manhunt. When did that come out? 10 years ago? That game actually disturbed me while Doom and MK was just bloody good fun.

Although being a big MGS fan I thought the stealth gameplay was fantastic. Then a year or two after its release people who don't play games found out about it and it get banned or slapped with an AO rating.

Ill just put this here.
TombRaider_RiverDeath.gif

I don't know. 10? My grandma thought that the cloud guy who shoots out spikes in Kirby's Dream Land was violent so I guess the bar was set pretty low pretty early.

cyberjim2000 said:
Green_Lantern said:
My first violent video game was probably Oregon Trail in the early 90s probably. So much death!

Dysentery has got to be the most violent death out there.
I just read that Francis Drake died of dysentery, after I looked up what exactly dysentery is, and then was reminded of Icepick's latest story.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle