Recording games (PS4) for video editing

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys, I'm going to ask a really stupid question here because I know absolutely nothing about it.

I have a PS4. As we all know, PS4's have the ability to record in-game video, so to record what you're playing. I've never tried it before, but I was wondering... is it possible to record some game play video on your PS4, take the video off your PS4 somehow (maybe by USB or external HDD) to put it into video editing software like Adobe Premiere, and then edit it from there?

What I've been thinking about doing (one of my "plans I never end up doing but would like to do" as we all have) is to try and make sorta "let's play" videos of me playing games, but only for three, five and maybe up to ten minutes in length. I'd like to be able to use one of my own cameras (a Nikon D3200 DSLR) to record myself playing the game, and I'd like to mix that footage with the footage I capture on the PS4.

Long story short, I want to make a YouTube channel. I want to put videos of myself doing stuff like drawing (GR Strips and such), video tutorials on digital drawing and how to draw, as well as some video game stuff like "let's play" videos. Regarding the game videos, I might see if my girlfriend is willing to jump in with me to provide commentary, because her reactions to some of the games I play (and some of the stuff she says) I think is pretty funny. I'd like to try and do this with games I've never played before and am just about to play.

Is what I'm asking possible and is it simple as it sounds? Is it complex? How would I go about doing it? Any help is appreciated. :)

Yep, I've copied PS4 videos to my USB stick plenty of times with no issues. Also, you can use the ShareFactory app on PS4 to make simpler videos and then take that project and put it through a more involved editing process on Adobe or whatever you use. I don't have any kind of video editing experience, so I like using ShareFactory a lot.

Master_Craig said:
Long story short, I want to make a YouTube channel. I want to put videos of myself doing stuff like drawing (GR Strips and such), video tutorials on digital drawing and how to draw, as well as some video game stuff like "let's play" videos.

vyFpLc7.gif

Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

I think that's what I would like to do. I'd like to record the footage using my PS4 (which means I'm going to have to clear up some space as my console HDD is nearly full) and I'd like to collect my footage via USB and import it into Adobe Premiere. I'm pretty good with the Creative Suite as I use it for work.

De-Ting, thanks for the video tutorial, I appreciate it. If I ever do try to make a video, I'll let you know how it goes, particularly the process behind it.

Urban, that's the greatest .gif animation I have ever seen. :)

De-Ting said:
Yes. You can record clips up to 15 mins. in length and export them to a USB device.

Barry's got a nice tutorial for editing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip-qANnA0Js

If you want any help, just ask. I've wanted to do the YouTube thing for a while now.

What about screencaps, is there a way to get them to the internet?

I want to learn this all for myself, so when No Mans Sky comes out I can document what I find as if it were a journal.

LinksOcarina said:

I want to learn this all for myself, so when No Mans Sky comes out I can document what I find as if it were a journal.

I'm gonna assume so. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe with the screenshots collected and stored onto your PS4, you could download them via a USB similar to the videos, as both De-Ting and Anthony have described? It's something worth giving a go, I reckon.

I do have one more question about recording on a PS4.

De-Ting, you mentioned that you can record videos up to fifteen minutes in length. What happens if you try to record more?

I guess to put it into perspective... at work we use a Canon 5D Mk III DSLR to record some of our videos. If we say record... forty minutes worth of footage, what the Canon will automatically do upon export is cut the files up, so forty minutes worth of footage becomes four separate ten minute clips. I hope that makes sense.

Does the PS4 recording function similar? E.g. you keep recording and it just cuts clips up into separate fifteen minute clips? Or once fifteen minutes is up, then the clip stops recording and I have to proceed with recording a new clip?

LinksOcarina said:
De-Ting said:
Yes. You can record clips up to 15 mins. in length and export them to a USB device.

If you want any help, just ask. I've wanted to do the YouTube thing for a while now.

On the PS4 you just click the save screenshot button (triangle I think) after clicking the share button at a specific moment. From there you can copy it to a USB device or even upload straight to Facebook/Twitter if your accounts are linked.

I really like that No Man's Sky idea by the way, making a visual journal as you discover new planets and creatures sounds like fun.

Anthony_LaBella said:
LinksOcarina said:
De-Ting said:

On the PS4 you just click the save screenshot button (triangle I think) after clicking the share button at a specific moment. From there you can copy it to a USB device or even upload straight to Facebook/Twitter if your accounts are linked.

I really like that No Man's Sky idea by the way, making a visual journal as you discover new planets and creatures sounds like fun.

Thank you for the help.

It will in part be a weekly series for the game site I write for, plus just in general for facebook on the side. If nothing else it's a reason to keep playing No Mans Sky, provided they announce the game already.

Master_Craig said:
De-Ting, you mentioned that you can record videos up to fifteen minutes in length. What happens if you try to record more?

I guess to put it into perspective... at work we use a Canon 5D Mk III DSLR to record some of our videos. If we say record... forty minutes worth of footage, what the Canon will automatically do upon export is cut the files up, so forty minutes worth of footage becomes four separate ten minute clips. I hope that makes sense.

Does the PS4 recording function similar? E.g. you keep recording and it just cuts clips up into separate fifteen minute clips? Or once fifteen minutes is up, then the clip stops recording and I have to proceed with recording a new clip?
I'm almost certain there's no way to have it automatically record again after it maxes out each time. Pretty sure it has to be that way because otherwise people would accidentally fill up their HDD in one go.

What you could do is have a timer next to the TV to warn you when time's almost up. That way you have time to prepare for the next recording and make sure you don't skip over anything.

Anthony_LaBella said:
LinksOcarina said:
De-Ting said:

Just adding, there are settings where you can just click the share button and screenshot the game. However, there are some moments in the game where you can't capture the image due to spoilers. Master_Craig, this applies do recording a game footage as well.

Ugh makes a good point about the spoiler blocking. You'll either have to integrate that into your videos, or forget about all of this and just buy a capture card.

Even then, he would have to find a way to bypass HDCP. I understand you can turn that off in the PS4 settings, but you're still going to have those images blocked. Sony's a real ass about that. I use this HDMI splitter to bypass HDCP http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HX ... ge_o07_s00 though some say it doesn't work form them. It's cheap and I guess it's a small risk to buy. I took the risk and again, it works perfectly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo