Best introductory video games

Ted_Wolff

Rookie
Imagine you had the attention of someone for a week to have them play anything you wanted. What are you going to give them that makes them think the week after, "Hey, I could really go for some more of Game X!"?

If we want to break down barriers to get others to see video games as more, then let's start.

Why'n'theheck do we spend so much time playing video games? Because they're an experience! They are entertaining. Yet, they're more than that.

We all know that "someone". That someone who doesn't "get" games. Well let's get them to get them. Get that?

Let's start by compiling a list of the best video games for introducing nongamers to video games.

I don't know if I've ever seen a list for this, so let's create one. Heck, let's get it on G-R's front page.

Some criteria to think of (a game doesn't have to meet each, but the more the better):

• First, it's all about the experience. A game has to create a memorable experience that begs to be enjoyed.

Second, it's gameplay, duh. Interactivity is what makes games games. The game should let the player do stuff before it plays the show and tell game.

Third, it should be easy to get into. The player should be welcomed immediately.

Fourth, whatever story, visuals, and sound it contains should be pleasant, not distract, but also stick out from other games. The story should be memorable, the dialogue quotable, the visuals eye-catching, the sound hummable.

Fifth, come up with some new criteria.
My two recommendations:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
NSMB, especially when played with friends, is nothing short of an experience. It takes a simple designâ€â€

I just have to say that although I agree with your nomination for NSMB: Wii, I have to say as a seasoned Mario player (I've played virtually every one around, as have most people posting here) I have to say that as a beginner Mario game it's a bad choice. The game is fun but it's incredibly hard and frustrating at times. So instead, I'll go for:

Super Mario World (SNES)
The game that introduced Yoshi, the yellow feather, and gave you that ridiculously memorable early on level with hundreds of coins, guaranteeing you to never get a Game Over. This is the game for new gamers. The cons are it's hard to find these days, but if you have a SNES laying around and this game, it'll bring anyone into it to have a good time.

de BLOB (Wii)
A platformer that focuses on painting the world certain colors instead of getting to a castle only to find out the Princess isn't there. Kill the evil corporation painting the world gray and restore the vibrant colors of the rainbow (primary color mixtures only) to bring happiness back.

littleBIGplanet (PS3/PSP)
The Mario of Sony, Sackboy made his debut on the PS3 a couple years ago with the platforming gimic of being able to create levels with anything you see in the premade levels. And go online and play other peoples' custom levels if you're too lazy/not good enough to make good ones yourself. Fun for hours!

First person shooter-Halo- Easy to get in to and a good story
Racing-Mario Kart 64-Still the best one.
RPG-Super Mario RPG- Easy to learn and everone already knows the story.

Platformer: New Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo DS.

FPS: Halo: Combat Evolved --> simple, but good.

RPG: Dragon Quest 8 --> don't know why exactly ... but it seems like a fine game that is not too hard to learn. :)

Action Game: God of War --> simply thrilling. :D

Uncharted 1 or 2
Both of these games have an easy to learn interface and the adjustment to difficulty actually changes the game play. Set on Easy or Normal, you can sit back and just enjoy a story ripped from any summer blockbuster. It's funny, the characters are quirky and the story has the required twists and turns to draw the game out.

Guitar Hero/Rock Band
I hate to say it, but these games are about as easy to get into as [insert person]'s sister! Shazam! If a person has even a modicum of rhythm, then these games can be played. For instance, this is the game that finally got me and my dad (+65) to sit down for a whole evening of video games!

Syphon Filter

I know this series has been mostly updated on the PSP/PS2. But I feel the game's potential in Omega Strain could work better with the better online capabilities of the current-gen systems of the PS3. The teamwork missions in Omega Strain were a lot of fun and could be made to a better, polished core.

Survivor for the PC
Reality TV hits a video game, you get to be part of the show! What more can I say?
yes this is a joke, but if you want something to get in for FPS go for "DOOM" It's easy to learn and it's a classic.

Ugh, get the funk out.

It's things like that which make people pigeonhole gamers. Do you want another Jack Thompson?

Do you?

Do you?

See, my first thought would be MGS, and yet, it's a bit intense for an intro game. Perhaps Tekken?

I mean, it's one of the best fighting interfaces to me. There are buttons for limbs, as opposed to the old HMLB of Soul Calibur. So, it is conducive to button-mashing for the purposes of learning the game basics.

The story isn't too heavy, and the thrill of beating a CPU opponent isn't one you forget.

I agree with Ted and Blair!

Braid would be good, it;s not a conventional game. But it shows how clever and innovative games can be.

And Tekken would show people the basics.

I'm going to throw in a Crash Bandicoot. One of the first 3D platformers around (since all games are pretty much 3D now!)

Okami would be for the AWSUM factor...

I'm a God...that is a wolf.....AWSUM!!!

If you are supposed to introduce some games to person who is completely unfamiliar with games, I would start with really simple ones. My older sister and father had trouble even with LPB controls. Games like Tekken and any FPS (console atleast) wouldn't hold their interest long enough that they would learn to play.

Theme Park/Hospital - Simple building and playing with lots of humor. What's not to like? + Easy mouse control.

Flower - Artsy little game that shows not all games are hectic action. + Easy controls.

And then some games that focus more on the story than action like Syberia, Heavy Rain or something.

Bomberman Ultra - One button does it all fun and easy

Heavy Rain - because it will help get the novice gamer to understand the controller button layout and they can focus on the story - not really a game just getting them used to controls

Depending on the person the next game would be:

A fighting game -Tekken, Soul Caliber, Fight Night, or Street Fighter - for those agressive/competitive types

A music game - Guitar Hero, Rock Band, whatever - simon says nex gen

A throwback - Wolf of the Battlefield, Contra etc

Bioshock : It's extremely easy to get into, it doesn't have to be too difficult (adjust difficulty to easy) and it tells an engrossing story that would keep anyone coming back for more.
Shadow of the Colossus : I shouldn't even need to explain this. It's such a fantastic game that I'm convinced even 60 year old women would enjoy it.

I just bought Shadow of the Colossus last night! Super excited to play it.

But I say Super Mario Galaxy because no person with a soul would not enjoy that.

Well for simply STARTING...

Mario 1 (Nes) I liked 2 and 3 and a couple of the nes ones, but all the ones since havent done a thing for me. Plus, the simple formula of mario 1 doesnt fiddle about with bear suits etc, and a new gamer could easily get the basics of a platformer from it.

Tetris. .

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut (wii): Classic adventure game updated. Easy to play, fun added puzzles, and as I bought this for my girlfriend's wii owning siblings for christmas, I've seen first hand grandparents engaging with it.

Assassins creed 2: Easy to pick up and I've had a lot of non gamers see me playing it and hijack the controller.

Peggle: Just really addictive and easy to get into.

One thing a list of introductory games probably needs is categorization so we have different intro games for different people, such as those who are into fighting but not solving puzzles.

For example:

Racingâ€â€

shandog137 said:
Heavy Rain - because it will help get the novice gamer to understand the controller button layout and they can focus on the story - not really a game just getting them used to controls

I'd disagree with this one. Although you make some good points, I've heard that the beginning to this is very slow, and a novice gamer (especially the kind that doesn't "get" videogames) wouldn't stick around for a few extra hours because it will get good, they'd rather be doing something else.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod