Violent video games - how old when you first played?

I stumbled upon Blakestone on my moms Pentium 75 when I was very young, I have no idea how old though. But that was about as violent as you got back then. I'm going to guess I was in the age 8-11 range.

The first console game I got that was very violent and bothered my mom was Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.. god I loved that game..

I would have been 12 at that point.

Ahh yea forgot about Mortal Kombat.. i was likely 8-11ish when I played it as well.

Hah! Turok! "I AM, TUROK!" That game was pretty bad ass. I wasn't very fond of Turok 2: Seeds of Evil though...

The only game my mum ever had a problem with me playing, was Diablo. I played that when I was eleven. My mum is religious (Luthren) and she didn't like the idea about a game being named after... well, the devil. We had to convince her that you know, you're fighting to -stop- the devil and stuff.

I remember being nine years old and playing GoldenEye: 007 on the N64. My dad was watching me play, and he knows nothing about video games. He was watching me always going for head shots.

"Why are you always trying to shoot their head?" he asks.

"Because they die." I say.

Dad replies, "If you shoot them in the chest you'll puncture their lungs, their heart or maybe their spine. I'm pretty sure they'll die anyway."

I remember this because it made me laugh so much. That's kinda messed up now that I think about it...

Yea, Turok 2 was a huge letdown. But I still played it and enjoyed it, just wasn't half the game Turok: Dinosaur Hunter was.

I remember how it was like the king of graphics when it came out though.

And yea I think we all played Goldeneye, but I don't really consider it gory.

But I do remember shooting dead bodies as much as I could to try and make them entirely red.

turok2screen3.jpg

ahh nostalgia.. the brain drilling gun

intoTheRain said:
But I do remember shooting dead bodies as much as I could to try and make them entirely red.

^ I did this too. I think everybody did.

I remember in Perfect Dark, that's when they introduced like... blood splatter on the walls and stuff.

That is one thing about Turok 2: Seeds of Evil that impressed me. The graphics at the time. It looked awesome. That weapon there, the Cerebral Bore, that always gets voted as a "top weapon" in top ten lists of game weapons.

cyberjim2000 said:
Anyone here played Soldier of Fortune for the PC? Man, that was pure gore back in the day. Was hard to shoot anybody.

loved it so much

soldier of fortune 2: double helix

intoTheRain said:
cyberjim2000 said:
Anyone here played Soldier of Fortune for the PC? Man, that was pure gore back in the day. Was hard to shoot anybody.

loved it so much

Yeah I played Double Helix! I never played single player, I only bought the game to play multiplayer.

That game was gorey as f-

Master_Craig said:
intoTheRain said:
cyberjim2000 said:

loved it so much

Yeah I played Double Helix! I never played single player, I only bought the game to play multiplayer.

That game was gorey as f-

I loved me some Soldier of Fortune.

Never played Double Helix.

My first game was Star Wars: Dark Forces, and that was decently violent. No blood really, but it was a shooter.

NickKmet said:
My first game was Star Wars: Dark Forces, and that was decently violent. No blood really, but it was a shooter.

That's about as violent as a domestic abuse cutaway scene in a movie. No arousal. No bruising. No point!

lol, but I was like 8. Shit makes an impression. First truly bloody game that I owned? Hell, I don't know. That was a long time ago.

NickKmet said:
lol, but I was like 8. Shit makes an impression. First truly bloody game that I owned? Hell, I don't know. That was a long time ago.

In all seriousness I think blood or no blood, when you're 8 and shooting people, shit is going to be violent.

Lethean said:
NickKmet said:

In all seriousness I think blood or no blood, when you're 8 and shooting people, shit is going to be violent.

yeah, pretty much. But hey, I turned out alright.

Doom was installed on the first computer my family bought used. I also remember slightly some zombie light gun game at a movie theater that was darn terrifying yet seducing in my young mind.

NickKmet said:
Lethean said:
NickKmet said:

yeah, pretty much. But hey, I turned out alright.

Didn't we all?

Excuse me, I think Mother wants to stab my newest guest while she's in the shower. BRB.

Has to be Mortal Kombat. Christ, I must have been like 4, 5 years old. Playing that at that age had to have screwed with my brain.

NjNakedSnake said:
Has to be Mortal Kombat. Christ, I must have been like 4, 5 years old. Playing that at that age had to have screwed with my brain.
I remember the attract-mode for MK splashing blood everywhere at the local pizza joint, probably the same age as you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle