Presidential debate

I love that there are Canadians here. Did you guys see that ridiculous commercial they have on for celebrating the bicentenary of the 1812 war?

I saw Kate Beaton at the local monthly comic con, and she drew a picture of Tesla for me. I gave her a moustache. She first thought that it was a piece of lint. :(

Keep in mind that these debates are targeted towards people who are still undecided, and largely, to be honest, who probably aren't interested in better ways of deciding for themselves (i.e., research and facts). It's far more about being a performer than anything else. We know that Obama isn't great with debates, and the way he carried himself was perhaps subdued in comparison to Romney. I think it's unfortunate, and Obama is going to have to do some more practice and preparation for these things if he wants to keep up. We've seen him come back tougher in campaigning, so he just has to translate that kind of confidence and charisma to in-person interactions with Romney.

Optimus-Crime said:
The idea is not to be a dick about it. Take Cinco de Mayo for instance. Hell, we celebrate that holiday. Huge boxing PPV events are planned around it. It's enough for a few days of good will towards our Mexican chums. And why? Because Mexico took the whole Mexican-American war in stride. Whatever happened happened, we're not big on the details all these years later.

Actually, Cinco de Mayo commemorates a victory for the Mexican people when they stampeded a herd of cows into the invading French Army. It has nothing to do with the Mexican-American War or "Mexican Independence Day." I learned that in...8th grade French class.

Sightless said:
I saw Kate Beaton at the local monthly comic con, and she drew a picture of Tesla for me. I gave her a moustache. She first thought that it was a piece of lint. :(

Cool! Can we see the picture? Or the moustache?

Optimus-Crime said:
The idea is not to be a dick about it. Take Cinco de Mayo for instance. Hell, we celebrate that holiday. Huge boxing PPV events are planned around it. It's enough for a few days of good will towards our Mexican chums. And why? Because Mexico took the whole Mexican-American war in stride. Whatever happened happened, we're not big on the details all these years later. Point being if you ever want us to celebrate Bastille Day or Thanksgiving in July or whatever you guys do in your igloos, you'll have to let this petty stuff go. I'm nearly 100% positive you don't even celebrate Bastille Day, but that just speaks to my level of knowledge on Canadian holidays. You gotta run with the pack is all I'm saying. Or stay bitter forever in your eskimo igloos, eating ice and syrup.

SEE? WE KNOW NOTHING OF YOUR WAYS!

I'm not sure who's being a dick about it, it is a sense of Canadian pride, not so much because it was against America, as it was because it was the first time Canadians fought, and fought for their country none the less (boar war not included, as British simply plucked Canadians and sent them to Africa to fight)

And lets be fair, if it had of been America that pushed into Canada and burnt down our parliament building, there'd be a movie about it with everyone waving miniature american flags

It's not even celebrated up here really, it just happens to be the 200 year anniversary, this is sort of my point though, any pride in it, and it's considered anti-american,even though thats not the sentiment we are trying to convey, but hey, how dare we take pride in something, it's not like America ever boasts, or mocks Canada for lack of a military ;)

And yes you know nothing of our ways, many Canadians don't even know our ways, which is a direct result of American media companies having a stranglehold on entertainment, Canadian content in the media is few and far in-between, and because we aren't part of the monopoly, those who do try to produce content in Canada are generally fighting an uphill battle due to lack of funding, and limited networks willing to carry content that only appeals to a nation with the population the size of California

sometimes we get lucky and a low budget show becomes a hit, like trailer park boys

Ohhhh Canada, our home and native land
True daaaaa da-da
Um... da da da da daaa
With glowing hearts we see... more hearts
The cold North is so cold
Oh Mr seal, you must die now, and something about 1812
God keep our ham
Glorious and free!
Oh Canada, we love American TV
Ohhhh Canada, we sure do love American TV!!!!!

Wait this is about the Presidential debate? WTF

Cinco de Mayo could be about the 5 mayonnaise saints of Guadalajara for all I care, but that we celebrate it as a party holiday here in the US means something. Maybe it's ironic, but hey, it's an excuse to get drunk and wear sombreros for bunches of people across this country, so it can't be all bad.

Having a war to celebrate isn't that great of a deal to me personally. Some sort of remembrance day is cool, honorable even, but other than that? meh. And you know what kind of movies they make for situations like this? The shitty kind you have to see with your class on field trips to the theater filed under "educational film." I HATED those movies. There's never any discernible actors...it's always a low budget propaganda piece that's 5 hours too long. If you thought you were getting a AAA blockbuster about the war of 1812...boy, you have some imagination. We really don't know much about one another.
Canada has so little bearing on my actual day-to-day that it would be crazy for me to stop and think about Canada anyway. That's not me being condescending, that's me not having enough time in my day to stop and mull over Canada's lack of a military--the notion that your country has no military, btw? ridiculous. I have enough assholes in my own backyard. Why would I need to travel to any other country to find more? We're well off on assholes right here.

Canada / UK / America / everyone. This whole discussion is had only online, which speaks to the triviality of it all.

Also, I heard during the civil war the North only beat the South because Canada helped supply them bears. After supplying the Americans with weapons of mass hibernation Canada then invaded the US using propaganda to brainwash Canadians into thinking the USA would use those weapons against us. So they burned down the white house al qaeda style.

But if you can forgive the Germans, the Japanese and the Russians surely you can forgive us, eh?

Optimus-Crime said:
This whole discussion is had only online, which speaks to the triviality of it all.
*rolls up sleeves* You wanna take this offline?

nt4oo.jpg

lol, but in all seriousness Icepick is right, we don't celebrate the war of 1812 or anything like that. I was never taught it in history class back in high school. And like most have said, we only heard about it or were reminded recently because it's the 200th anniversary.

200 years of modesty! How aboot that eh?

WickedLiquid said:
surely you can forgive us, eh?

NO. 200 years later, I still hold a grudge.

/sarcasm

Sightless said:
are you sure you want some of this!
idunno.gif

i have, in my possession, 2 ninja throwing stars and a black baklava to look the part. just sayin'

Rakon said:
However, we did burn down the White House (after the US took York, now Toronto (Get it? New York!?!?!?))

I hate to burst your bubble (at least, this is what it seems like you're insinuating), but it's called New York after York in England. Just like New Hampshire is named after Hampshire.

Optimus-Crime said:
Sightless said:
are you sure you want some of this!
idunno.gif

i have, in my possession, 2 ninja throwing stars and a black baklava to look the part. just sayin'
Come at me bro.

NickKmet said:
I hate to burst your bubble (at least, this is what it seems like you're insinuating), but it's called New York after York in England. Just like New Hampshire is named after Hampshire.
Psh, next thing you'll be telling me is that New Jersey is named after Jersey!

Sightless said:

Actually it is. at least that's what the mutated talking pine tree that stood in my backyard back when I lived in New Jersey told me.

Sightless said:
NickKmet said:

Actually, that's a common mistake. It was originally just called Jersey, but after it became known as the toxic waste dump of America, they thought adding New to the front would confuse people enough that they would still visit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod