Presidential debate

Icepick

Rookie
why is a Canadian making this topic? Did anyone else watch it? Critics are claiming it was a landslide victory for Romney, while I agree he came off stronger, I sincerely disagree with the notion of it being a landslide. Obama being ahead in the polls played it safe, while Mitt had to come out swinging. But by no means did he blow Obama out of the water, unless i America "landslide" means "slightly edged out", which would explain America's idea that they "won" Vietnam :p

Didn't bother to watch it...People are going to hear what they want to hear no matter what either one says.

Icepick said:
unless in America "landslide" means "slightly edged out", which would explain America's idea that they "won" Vietnam :p

Pro tip from the States....You're pretty much spot on.

you'd think that...

I mean, I admit, Romney was poised and ready for this, while Obama looked a bit more caustic and reserved. He didn't look as solid as he used to be.

However, Romney petty much did a lot of fibbing on the podium there, most of the major beats he presented were either flat-out wrong, or far from the truth.

Plus he gave few specifics, which is a big pet peeve of mine. I mean, Obama was not perfect either, he had a lot of misleading aspects too, but actually had some evidence to back up what he said.

In the end, the debate may not matter much, but I guarentee it will give Romney a small boost because he looked better.

Which is not how a debate should be, it should be about the facts vs the image.

LinksOcarina said:
Romney petty much did a lot of fibbing on the podium there.
Plus he gave few specifics, which is a big pet peeve of mine.
Which is not how a debate should be, it should be about the facts vs the image.
This. It's the educated viewer vs. the uneducated from here on out. You look at what Romney said...actually what did he say beyond he's repealing Obamacare? His platform seems to be he's repealing whatever Obama did, and he's doing it all on his first day. Well, what about the rest of Romney's presidential term? He gave no specifics and, at the same time, tried touching base on everything. To me Romney seemed to be whitewashing his entire campaign, not on promises that he'll keep but on ideas that haven't been presented nor even conjured apparently because he gave none.
"I like some of Obama's ideas, but a lot of his ideas don't work, so I'm repealing some, too."
There's nothing specific in that, but it sure comes off smooth on tv so I'm not surprised the majority are calling Romney the winner of the first debate. Obama's talking corporate welfare, Romney's talking North Carolina women whose husbands are out of job.

I don't pay attention to politics but from what I know Presidents usually stay on for 8 years. Everyone hated Bush in 2004 yet he somehow won. So common sense tells me Obama will have another 4 years.

The dude killed Bin Laden, doesn't that earn him another shot? Conspiracy theorists say that never happened, but conspiracy theorists also say Bush faked 9/11 and he was still re-elected, proving that their votes don't matter.

The way I see it you can either stick with Obama or side with Clint Eastwood and talk to an empty stool. Trouble With the Curve? More like Trouble With the Boxoffice. Looks like when Eastwood's baseball drama was released he was also talking to a bunch of empty movie theaters.

I just couldn't believe how Romney basically told Jim Lehrer, that if elected, Lehrer would be out of a job. It didn't seem to me like Romney "won" at all. Obama kept putting him in a position where Romney continuously said "that's not my plan" but wouldn't elaborate on what his plan was.

I honestly don't see Romney winning this election. He reminds me of John Kerry. The incumbent is the stronger choice, but not just because of his experience.

Icepick said:
But by no means did he blow Obama out of the water, unless i America "landslide" means "slightly edged out", which would explain America's idea that they "won" Vietnam :p

What? Is this a thing? Can you find, oh, I don't know, four people who actually believe this?

I can't but I can probably find 4 Americans who think they won the war of 1812. Of course those are also the only 4 who have heard of it.

the war of 1812 is a fun party trick to bust out when with Americans

you can turn the most patriotic over the top freedom lover into a silenced statue by stating Canada beat them in a war, works every time

Icepick said:
the war of 1812 is a fun party trick to bust out when with Americans

you can turn the most patriotic over the top freedom lover into a silenced statue by stating Canada beat them in a war, works every time

No one won the war of 1812. However, we did burn down the White House (after the US took York, now Toronto (Get it? New York!?!?!?)), and we were poised to take the rest of the colonies down. Also, we were still British then, because hockey wasn't invented yet.

And the US straight up lost the Vietnam war.

But back to the topic at hand. Romney won't win this election simply because he doesn't care about half the country. I said this during the midterm election: Obama will win again because whoever the Republicans pit against him won't be strong enough. I think the Biden/Ryan debate will have some major influence (unlike last time, where it wasn't even close). Be prepared for Obama to strike back hard at the next debate.

Yeah, I was gonna say, there are several things wrong with saying that Canada won the War of 1812. That's like saying that Canada was established when America won the French and Indian War.

This comic sums up the War of 1812: And it comes courtesy of a Canadian!

argument.png

And Rakon, since New Amsterdam becaGme New York over 100 years before York/Toronto was founded...No, I don't think so.

danielrbischoff said:
I honestly don't see Romney winning this election. He reminds me of John Kerry. The incumbent is the stronger choice, but not just because of his experience.

"We hate that guy in office so much. Just hate his guts. Hate him, hate him, hate him. And lots of other people hate him too. Finding someone to run against him shouldn't be hard, though. What's that? The crazy people have fizzled out? Well, get that guy from Massachusetts. You know, the guy...with the nice suits. And the presidential hair."

...said the Dems in 2004, and the GOP in 2012.

there's way too much truth packed into that comic strip, it should be illegal.

my American rage goes from 0 - 60 in about what's on tv tonight? And I'm really into politics and shit. The whole USA #1 thing is a) blown out of proportion, and b) the unintended consequence of what happens when sarcastic americans join in on the joke.
It's trolls trolling trolls, basically. But let's not forget that America is pretty much the best country in the universe. Even this website is based in America. You're welcome, everyone.

See? Glad I could help move the joke along.

Oh jeebus I feel like a troll. Why did I have to bring up that war? I was actually counting on nobody knowing WTF that war was (Americans OR Canadians). I blame the internet.

At least I wasn't talking to empty chairs HEY YO!

The only people who lost in the war of 1812 was the first nations (or native americans to you aggressive folk down south)

Canada won a sense of independence and national identity given for the fact the first half was fought mostly by Canadian militia as Britain was dealing with the whole Napoleon issue

America got a national anthem and a chance to redecorate the white house and other portions of DC

First Nations lost their unified leader at the time, in the end lost out on British support to get a area of land dedicated to their interest, and mostly disbanded and had to assimilate

fun fact, the war of 1812 was America's first declaration of war, and to this day had the declaration passed by the slimmest margin in history

WickedLiquid said:
Oh jeebus I feel like a troll. Why did I have to bring up that war? I was actually counting on nobody knowing WTF that war was (Americans OR Canadians). I blame the internet.
Well to be fair, even i knew what that war was.
Cracked and Wikipedia are doing more for educating the people than the school system.

Seeing how it's 2012 there has been mention of it since it was 200 years ago. But if you asked me last year what the war of 1812 was I'd probably ask if that was the movie Gangs of New York.

The idea is not to be a dick about it. Take Cinco de Mayo for instance. Hell, we celebrate that holiday. Huge boxing PPV events are planned around it. It's enough for a few days of good will towards our Mexican chums. And why? Because Mexico took the whole Mexican-American war in stride. Whatever happened happened, we're not big on the details all these years later. Point being if you ever want us to celebrate Bastille Day or Thanksgiving in July or whatever you guys do in your igloos, you'll have to let this petty stuff go. I'm nearly 100% positive you don't even celebrate Bastille Day, but that just speaks to my level of knowledge on Canadian holidays. You gotta run with the pack is all I'm saying. Or stay bitter forever in your eskimo igloos, eating ice and syrup.

SEE? WE KNOW NOTHING OF YOUR WAYS!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod