Pink Floyd...

Is Pink Floyd overrated?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hell no! You suck for even thinking so!

• Yes, but I chose option number 2 just to tell you that you suck.

• Total voters
GhostTrip said:
Lethean said:
Also Gost - I have absolutely no problem getting into slow, melancholy music.

That's cool man, I wasn't talking about anyone in general.

I missed the "h" in your name. I'm sorry :(. Normally I would edit my post, then edit your quote to cover up my mistake but I just cannot bring myself to deceive you in such a horrible manner!

When it comes to classic rock I'd go with

Beatles> Pink Floyd> Zeppelin> Doors> Hendrix> Stones> Queen

Now it's time for you all to tell me I'm wrong :p

for it's...

Zeppelin>Stones>The Who>Dylan>Hendrix Experience>Pink Floyd>Beatles>Bowie

I like the Beatles, but they're just pop music.

Hexagram said:
I'm still waiting to see him pop up in the best horror game thread.
Sorry guys, I wasn't around yesterday... I got caught up on the horror thread, now I see this one? Jeesh.

Grey said:
I can't wait for mC to see this.

I'm not terribly surprised the question has been put. Do I think Pink Floyd is overrated? Yes and no. Some albums are terribly overrated, but there's a lot of genius in that band, too much for me to ever vote 'yes'.
In my opinion, Pink Floyd started off brilliantly; Piper, Saucer, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and Obscured by Clouds - I love every one of those albums. I know most people tend to scoff at Atom, but I found it intriguingly addictive.
Dark Side of the Moon was a good album, the band was still working as a band should, producing some very good tracks. Time and Any Colour You Like were great, but I never understood how Money and The Great Gig in the Sky got so much airtime...
Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall are probably my three least favourite albums. Do I think those albums are overrated? Yes, I do. Somehow those three caught on like wildfire. I don't know, I've never been a huge fan of Waters' lyrics, he's much too politically or socially motivated for my tastes. I'm in it for the music, not the message, and those albums just have too much message for my taste. The music is good yes, but it's almost overshadowed by the message.
However, despite saying that I found The Final Cut, which for anyone who doesn't know was entirely written by Roger, and is highly political in nature, an interesting deviation from the Pink Floyd sound you hear on the radio. It's a good album. Far from my favourite, but good.
The two recent studio albums, A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell, are both excellent albums. A drastic departure from their early stuff and their 70's rock albums, but excellent in their own right. I've always loved the 80's sound in AMLOR, and TDB is just so refreshing, it literally is a breath of fresh air.

Every time I see somebody in the under-25 crowd walking around wearing some sort of Pink Floyd merchandise, it's always the same thing; the Dark Side prism, or the screaming face or marching hammers from The Wall. Occasionally I see the burning man from the cover of Wish You Were Here. How often do you see the talking head sculptures from The Division Bell cover? How often do you see a hat with Ummagumma live album cover image with the instruments all laid out on the pavement in front of the truck? When I went to The Australian Pink Floyd Show last, I had to make my own Atom Heart Mother t-shirt! I went out to Staples and bought the t-shirt transfers and ironed it on myself, using the image off the back side of the album with the three cows looking into the camera (because I always found the front cover picture of the cow mooning the camera naughty).
So yes, I think that Wish You Were Here, Animals and especially The Wall are overrated albums. I have absolutely no idea what so ever how much Floyd everyone here has been exposed to, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but I wonder how many people here who claim Pink Floyd to be overrated haven't looked past the big four albums (DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall) and explored some earlier stuff. Give Meddle or Obscured by Clouds a listen.

Echoes may be the reason you're looking for, for the wildfire, because commercially their biggest hits went on to use the same sound. And that sound is pretty much why Pink Floyd is the monster it is today, or at least the reason for this topic.

I guess you're right though, it's funny to think how their earlier work was possibly even more musical.

Chris_Crime said:
Echoes may be the reason you're looking for, for the wildfire, because commercially their biggest hits went on to use the same sound. And that sound is pretty much why Pink Floyd is the monster it is today, or at least the reason for this topic.
Agreed that Echoes and Meddle as an album laid the foundation for a lot of their 70's sound. Echoes is one of my favourites by far, an extremely well done track. It takes you places when you listen to it, what more can you ask for
However, I don't know if I would say it's the reason the albums which followed caught on so well.. I think a lot of people liked the heavy political and social commentary in the lyrics that followed, especially on Dark Side and Animals, whereas the earlier stuff tended to be more musical, soundscapes, simple (yet sometimes profound) lyrics.
I'll admit straight away I'm not a lyrics person. I love instrumentals. If I listen to a song for the first time, some people right away you ask them what it was about lyrically, and they'll tell you what it was about, what the writer was trying to say. You ask me and I haven't a clue, I don't listen to the lyrics in a song, I'm much more interested in listening to the keyboards/organ, bass and drums (I'm also not a huge guitar person).

Chris_Crime said:
Hey WR, start with Wish You Were Here. Then Dark Side of the Moon, Momentary Lapse of Reason or The Wall, then Animals and The Division Bell and then all the rest.

And BlackStar is right. If we're gonna call Pink Floyd overrated then we should bring The Beatles into question as well. Though personally I enjoy both bands incredibly, and amongst friends Floyd's Time is still the hottest track in the streets.
But yeah, if you were to ever give them a try (and they're worth it), start with Wish You Were Here.

This is mid 70s music. And who's come near their sound and creativity since? Tool. They're all true artists who just happened to play music, and that can't be said for most bands.

Tool is great, one of my favorite bands ever. They were my top band for the longest time. But I'm afraid I have to add another band to that list, and it is Porcupine Tree. Originally a joke band, then a band whose purpose was to echo Pink Floyd, it has grown to something quite epic. I think Steve Wilson is a musical genius, and I don't know who I can compare to him. Even all his side projects are amazing.

I would also say Opeth, but I don't want to get shot. And they're only recently started incorporating '70s prog rock influence noticeably in their music. There's no doubt that Mikael Arkefeldt has great music vision and talent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod