Pink Floyd...

Is Pink Floyd overrated?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hell no! You suck for even thinking so!

• Yes, but I chose option number 2 just to tell you that you suck.

• Total voters
I don't think they are the greatest, but they are a very good band. David Gilmore is also one of the best guitar players who ever lived (no questions asked)

They have had their share of horrible music, but they also made some of the greatest songs in history. They have earned their high rating. You suck!

All prog rock acts are prone to some degree of pretentiousness. Floyd is no exception. But you can't deny that they are one of the few bands to flawlessly integrate guitar, drums, and keyboards in harmony and without the hiccups you hear in many prog and non-prog bands trying their hand at it. The only act capable of matching this integration would be The Doors, in my honest opinion (yes, they are two different kinds of bands).

So... Why do you think they're overrated? I don't mean to be an ass, but it takes some pluck to make such a claim.

Absolutely agree. I have one of the most costly music habits possible, esoteric electronic, and the only thing I prefer to financially binge on is old prog rock. I'm afraid I seethe with anger at the knowledge of how copies of In The Wake of Poseidon, Moonmadness, Tarkus, In Search of Space, Moving waves and the like will forever remain buried beneath mountains of The Dark Side of the Moon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Floyd fan, echoes was on my vinyl deck just a fortnight ago, but come on! Dig deeper, people. There's more to prog!

I just find their music boring and...Lame. I simply do not like Pink Floyd. I mean I'm not a music afficiando or anything but I can tell if a song seems boring to me, and most of Pink Floyd's music I've heard has been just that to me. Now there is no denying there was good ability and talent in the band but the music itself was just....Lame to me.

Also, just because I say a band is overrated doesn't mean I *hate* said band.

Yeah, they're overrated but not as much as The Beatles. I can see why people would like their experimental stuff but early Beatles is just annoying pop music.

It makes me feel like I'm playing Bingo with a bunch of old ladies while drinking Cherry Coke and eating Banana pancakes.

malakian said:
Absolutely agree. I have one of the most costly music habits possible, esoteric electronic, and the only thing I prefer to financially binge on is old prog rock. I'm afraid I seethe with anger at the knowledge of how copies of In The Wake of Poseidon, Moonmadness, Tarkus, In Search of Space, Moving waves and the like will forever remain buried beneath mountains of The Dark Side of the Moon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Floyd fan, echoes was on my vinyl deck just a fortnight ago, but come on! Dig deeper, people. There's more to prog!

Hey thanks for the list of albums. If they are good enough to get you pissed at the darkside of the moon, they must be good.
Overrated? hmm I guess in some ways but then again alot of their music flys under the radar. mostly on the radio you hear all their more popular songs. Animals and momentary lasp of reason are underrated.When you hear Pink floyd you think, dark side of the moon or the wall. Theres much more then that. Hell, roger waters solo work isn't the bad.

btw..Darkside of the moon does sync up with Wizard of oz at some parts, I tried it, it's preety cool.

Meddle is good, Dark Side is amazing, Wish You Were Here is amazing, Animals is very good, The Wall is arguably the best album ever made, and The Final Cut is alright.

With a streak like they deserve to be in the top ten bands of all time.

Pink Floyd is awesome. I don't think they're overrated, but they're not for everyone and I can see why people would dislike them.

Pink Floyd is music that has to grow on you because most of it is slow and melancholy. Usually music that is upbeat and faster is easier on the ears and therefore picks up an audience quickly.

Rap is something you enjoy the first time you hear it, then the more you hear it the less interested you get in the song. I would consider Pink Floyd and many other artists music that can't be judged on a first listen. It gets better and better the more you listen to it.

Just my 2 cents.

It's better if you listen to their music in the context of the album, listending to their songs individually on the radio isn't the way you should hear them.

TheZoomZoomKid said:
It's better if you listen to their music in the context of the album, listending to their songs individually on the radio isn't the way you should hear them.
Yeah, that's the point I'm making. Not everyone wants to listen to an album to get the feeling of each song. They'd rather listen to some pop rap song-of-the-month on the radio.

Not saying anyone here is like that, just telling it how it is.

But hey, some people just want music to shake their ass to when their drunk at the club. Everyone's got a good reason to like whatever music they're interested in. I just don't like guys who think they're hardcore cause they're blasting their gangster rap in their cars by themselves in front of Wal-Mart :roll:

TheZoomZoomKid said:

Unfortunately that is how I've heard most of Pink Floyd.

I'll download an album and see what I think then.

Also Gost - I have absolutely no problem getting into slow, melancholy music.

I wouldn't say most of pink floyd is slow and melancholy.

Try Meddle, Lethean. It's my favourite i'd say, and i'm not the hugest floyd fan. Dark side or wish you were here doesnt really benefit from listening in an album or not anyway. The wall does to an extent, but I don't like the wall.

Hey WR, start with Wish You Were Here. Then Dark Side of the Moon, Momentary Lapse of Reason or The Wall, then Animals and The Division Bell and then all the rest.

And BlackStar is right. If we're gonna call Pink Floyd overrated then we should bring The Beatles into question as well. Though personally I enjoy both bands incredibly, and amongst friends Floyd's Time is still the hottest track in the streets.
But yeah, if you were to ever give them a try (and they're worth it), start with Wish You Were Here.

This is mid 70s music. And who's come near their sound and creativity since? Tool. They're all true artists who just happened to play music, and that can't be said for most bands.

^Word. Tool are pretty much the only active band I like, and they're one of, if not my favourite band ever.

Chris_Crime said:
And who's come near their sound and creativity since? Tool. They're true artists who just happened to play music, and that can't be said for most bands.
I always felt that Tool would be my generation's Pink Floyd. but they have yet to catch the bigger audience (aka sheep). but then again if everybody loved them that'd make them lame.

I love Pink Floyd
Specially their early albums, such as A Saucerful of Secrets or Meddle.
I don't like to classify Floyd as prog rock, at least not in the same category of prog rock that Yes, King Crimson or ELP would fall in, they are completly different styles.
Barret solo albums are amazing, The Madcap Laughs is one of my favourite albums of all time (it has nothing to do with Piper at the Gates of Dawn)

PS: Hello everyone, this is my first post

I have a feeling this whole topic is here simply to get me to tell you that I hate Pink Floyd. Well I'm not going to do it, so fuck you Lethean. 8)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle