[OT] Resident Evil 6

Tried out the demo and I wasn't that impressed by it I only really liked leon's part because well it actually had zombies, not gun wielding mutated people.

I'm playing the campaigns in listed order, so Leon is first. It is tremendous fun I must say. Half the fun is finding out available melee attacks. Head smash on a rail is my personal favourite so far.

And when you step into town it seriously feels like you're in the middle of a zombie-infested city. Lots of crap happening. I cant tell you how many cars have just missed my ass.
Also - I got run over by a train at least 5 times before realising I just had to step over to the other side of the track. But in my defense I was waiting for the "lean against the wall" icon!

For a Resident Evil game the story is actually really good and I'm intrigued as to where this is all going.

The gameplay however is fun in some parts, frustrating in others. My biggest issue is the bloody camera. RE4 and 5 had a perfect over the shoulder camera system and here it just feels awkward. The duck and cover system is pretty bad too which is also frustrating since you need to use it alot in Chris' and Jake''s campaign.

I understand the need to try something new but this doesn't feel like something new, it feels like every other 3rd person action shooter. Keeping the camera glued to the players back using the 180 trick to spin around was revolutionary in RE4 and it felt fresh and original. So if it ain't broken why fix it? Say what you will about RE5 but at least the gameplay was solid. Also, there are way too many quick time events! And I love quick time events, one of my favorite games is Heavy Rain. But QTE's need to be handled properly. In RE4 there was just enough, but in RE6 it's like every 5 seconds I'm jiggling the analog stick left to right.

I've also been killed by oncoming vehicles a few times MattAY, simply for being in the wrong place in the wrong time I felt if Capcom stuck with the same gameplay mechanics from RE4 and 5 we'd have a GOTY on our hands much like RE4. But instead the gameplay suffers and that's really the most important part of a game.

Like I was doing in the demo, I'm playing as Sherry in Jake's campaign due to my love for RE2. And I already got a PSN message from a very lonely guy who played as Jake asking if I could be his gf. hahaha, poor kids!

and spoilers
I'm loving Ada Wong's campaign, the puzzles get me all nostalgic to the classic Resident Evil games

By the way, I'm going to be praising my partner at every chance I get - I fucking love that thumbs up haha!

"Nice!!"

You haven't played the other campaigns have you? Once you do you'll understand my frustration. It almost feels like each campaign was done by an entirely different design team. That sounds awesome on paper, giving players a different experience for each story, but it was executed poorly. Leon's campaign feels like the only one they got right.

And what I was saying earlier about the story, well without posting spoilers I'll just say I've finished the game and it's not good.

Such a shame, the game has so much potential and the production values are incredible, but the gameplay just feels like Capcom rushed this project instead of spending more time testing and fixing what feels broken.

Nah, I've played the demos though and they weren't that bad. Just perhaps too hectic at first, however I always thought if I played a little longer Id get used to it. They were certainly fun to play.

PS - Spoiler (Leon Campaign) - It took me fucking ages to find the 3rd key in the chinese market with the Regenerators. The ladder took me forever to find! I'm talking 20 minutes of looking for a ladder here! FUCK I suck at hide & seek.

I do fancy Piers. Do you use Resident Evil.net? I swear it's not updating properly for me.

I wanted to but then I found out you can't register on your PS3 and my desktop is in desperate need of an upgrade lol.

used44 said:
The RE series is so batshit wacko, so fuck it. You don't need to stay caught up. The characters need almost no explanation. They have the same motivations and relationships from game to game.
Actually you're wrong. Chris motivation has changed dramatically from what I'm playing.

I think RE6 so far is amazing and change my first impression of 7 to 8.5. I think this is a great installment for the franchise and the only problem really is the camera.

Noritama said:
I think this is a great installment for the franchise and the only problem really is the chimera.

spiritanimal.jpg

Finished Chris story with playing Chris
Gotta say I wasn't bored at all, The story was spot on to how I think he would deal with it and the emotional problems he went through the whole story was great.
8/10 for doing his campaign with him

Right now I'm doing Jakes Story with playing Sherry.
so far.. I'd say 7/10 so far.

Good to know, because I've seriously only heard negatives about those two campaigns.

Just finished Chris' campaign as Piers, and [spoiler city]oh my God, Piers! NOOOO!!! The best character in the game dies?! Fuck you.

It was fun though. Fun as hell. The ending of Leon's campaign was shit when it started off so well. But Chris' campaign was fun throughout, and the end wasn't as ridiculous as Leons (I mean, I didnt have to kill the final boss literally 6 times for a start).

So far I've finished Leon's campaign as well as Chris'. Leon's campaign was pretty good for the most part, I liked how most of the enemies were actual traditional zombies.

Chris' campaign was good but... at first I found it very boring. It got a bit better later on. I found Chris' campaign to be very... generic. It felt like every other third person shooter out there.

I haven't played in a few weeks but Jake's campaign isn't very impressive so far... hopefully it gets better.

So far best campaign for me = Leon.

I dunno, I went and played RE5 after and it just felt so right. No camera BS, no brightness issues, no QTE's every 5 seconds. I guess I had to play RE6 to appreciate how comfortable it is to play lol.

It just felt rushed for the fall season. It has all the ingredients for a GOTY but it's cons prevent it from hitting that mark. I just wish Capcom spent another 6-8 months perfecting their shit.

WickedLiquid, since you played RE5 recently... are the graphics better in RE5, or RE6?

Because I swear RE5 is a better looking game.

Or maybe it just looked "better at the time" if that makes sense?

lol yeah I understand that. RE6 definitely looks better because of the immense production values in the cutscenes.

When there is a 7th game I really hope they stick with the camera locked behind the player's shoulder like RE4 and 5. Meh, maybe Capcom were just trying to reinvent the series like they did with RE4? Too soon for me.

I dunno, I've gotten used to the camera. I have no qualms with that right now.

I HATE Jake's campaign, or more precisely, I hate the 2nd chapter in the fucking snowstorm! It wasn't more scary making things less visible, it was just plain fucking annoying.

Also, we get it, Ustanak is chasing us. Fucking hell. Please dont make every chapter about him chasing us. I died in one part where you have to plant remote bombs about 10 times, because I couldnt find the co-op ladder on the left.

How many hours have people logged so far in RE6? I'm at 59:49, working through the Professional difficulty and playing Mercenaries and the events, glad they put the other preorder maps out, even if I had to pay $1.98 for them.

The events are weird though, they update way later than when you do them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle