my snake ate its first rat!

When I was 8 I had a pet rat, his name was Splinter. I accidentally killed him by putting him in some special TMNT ooze that was pulled off the shelves for being toxic.

My mother was happy he died
I just sat there and cried.
For poor Splinter was gone and it was all my fault
but how was I to know this would be the result
from pouring ooze on my friend for whom I adored
well, what can I say? I was just bored,
So good-bye my dear Splinter, you were a better pet than the others
too bad you won't grow up to teach kung-fu to four brothers.

:(

You know as a kid I never questioned the secerts of the ooze. I just wanted to watch the turtles kick ass.

I also never questioned where the hell Zordon was from and why he chose 5 dorky kids to save the planet instead of militarized men who have experience and combat training.

Everyone knows that you can't trust adults! Saving the world requires the imagination, ingenuity, and fidelity of youths. I mean, you also sometimes need people who don't give a shit and will feel enthusiastic about taking on weird creatures from space and such.

Sightless said:
Everyone knows that you can't trust adults! Saving the world requires the imagination, ingenuity, and fidelity of youths.

How many early Spielberg projects did you just describe? Also, How to Train Your Dragon to the T. Which is sooo much better than Toy Story 3. Watched both yesterday with my kids and there is no question in my mind as to which is better. We're talking original concept, intriguing development of relationships, graphically, sound...

Now since that was just as off topic as the rest of the discussion in here. Here's a pic of my family's most recent pet.

Neemo.
11 Feb 2011 - 13 Feb 2011
nemo.png

Really? I've shied away from posting about my kids since most of it's not applicable.

Anyways, Mrs. v2 and myself decided on a no pet policy for the time being. Nothing. Not gerbils, ferrets, dogs, cats, anything. Lo and behold, one day my 4 year-old, Noah, comes back from preschool with a fish in a bag, a bag of food, a jar filled with rocks, and a receipt (because the fish has a 3-day warranty). They'd been learning about the concept of "pets" and the finisher was a free fish. Great, right? No. Cheap fish die...quickly. And that means that I get to teach my kids the concept of "death". Fun.

Well, the fish was a huge hit obviously. They named him Neemo and my son made a placard for in front of the jar. My wife, being the awesome woman that she is, looked up ways to get more longevity out of goldfish. The boys spent tons of time talking to and watching Neemo. My wife started to question our policy. All was most excellent in the v2 household.

Then, on the fourth morning (this is were the story gets good) the fish was belly up at breakfast (well, for everyone except the fish). First of all, thanks for living just past your warranty, Neemo. The boys noticed very quickly and woke my wife and me up. So I just go in headfirst. "Guys, I'm really sad, but Neemo is dead." My 3 year-old, Cooper, loses it. He shouts, "Noooooooooooooo!" To give this scale, we're talking "Luke, I am you father."--"Nooooooooooo!" I counted it out. He shouted for four seconds. Try it out loud. It's a long time to shout only "no". This was followed by panic and overprotectiveness on Cooper's part and fifteen minutes of sobbing.

Noah was fine for the most part and suggested that we flush him like in Finding Nemo. So I figured, "kid suggested it" and started on my merry way. So we go in and start. At some point during this Cooper realized what was going on and came flying into the bathroom. Dived in the toilet with both hands and "rescued" Neemo. His confidence and trust in me shattered. He started to protect the fish from me. Screaming in anger and crying in grief, he shoved the fish in his pocket. Imagine me wrestling to get the thing out. A grown man and toddler covered in toilet water on the floor of a bathroom fighting over a dead fish we've only been acquainted with for three days. Parenting is hilarious at times.

End scene.

Well, you either got a bit of a kick out of that or you didn't. Thanks for listening.

Here's a pic of my monsters.
chuckecheese.png

This is from their first visit to Chuck E Cheese last week. The excitement is evident, although undeserved IMO. The place is a s*** hole. Pirate Island Pizza, now there's a kid-oriented pizza place!

/dad-form Bretimus

OMG. Why would you go ahead and flush the fish without consulting the kid who was clearly the most broken up about it? If that happened to me, I wouldn't have trusted you, either. Your kid is a hero. But man, first pets are harsh. You can't just send kids home with a fish! What a horrible thing to do! (I actually don't think that kids should be encouraged to have pets, but whatever...)

Kids are amazing. I love parenting stories. I also love the ridiculously bright pebbles.

And yes, Chuck-E-Cheese is pretty terrible. I think I've been there once... Kids don't care, though! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle