Movie Club - A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

Brett's pick!

But if y'all want to slow down we could. This topic has lost some popularity in the last few weeks. Maybe we could give a bigger window for this one.

No this is a holiday weekend - we should all be able to watch the flick assigned. (Did anybody else watch Frank?!)

Hurry up brett!! PICK!

Tom Burton's Batman!

Watch it again. Roll in the nostalgia! Get a good look at a violent and cartoony Joker on screen!

UrbanMasque said:
Green_Lantern said:
Oldboy (the original Korean version)

5177K3F5Y0L.jpg

I know you guys have moved on; sorry. The guy on the left (Ji-tae Yu?) looks very familiar, but I don't recognize any of his works on IMDB. I wonder if he just resembles someone else, but I have no clue who.

Actually, the guy on the left was Min-sik Choi and he played Oh Dae-su in the film.
Also
tumblr_mzqph39pEz1rrkahjo8_250.gif

Funny thing about Bret's choice, they played Batman at my local GameStop in celebration of Batman: Arkham Knight's midnight launch.

Great choice, Brett. I watched half of this last night, I've been playing an incredible amount of Arkham Knight, and I'm reading Catwoman: When in Rome. So I kinda got Bat-fever.

batusi.gif

They have a medication for that.

As far as Frank goes, I watched it a month back and really like it. The pacing is horrible but I love the Amadeus-Esque journey of the kid. The only difference is that Salieri ruined Mozart from the shadows where this guy rode Frank into the ground a la...

gisQZoR.jpg

I would never make it a required watch in this thread but Amadeus on Netflix is fan-fucking-tastic.

Man I am so lost...

So I re-watched both Oldboy and Batman...they have not aged well.

Oldboy is a tough sit still moreso due to the subject matter, and how depraved it goes. It thankfully goes beyond the typical "Vengence" story where the hero actually "wins" in the end, although I don't know if that is saying much.

The hypnosis aspects and conditioning parts, leading to the relationship between Oh and Mi-do, never made sense to me, but at the very least, it provided a surprising reveal and a complete 180 to the character of Oh, which really made it heartfelt in a weird way.

I don't know, this is only the third time ive seen Oldboy, and it's getting close to the territory of Battle Royale for me, movies I will never watch again because it's that fucked up and disturbing.

As for Batman...honestly, Batman Forever is a better movie.

If you really think about it, what is this first Batman movie about? Out of all the characters involved, the only one with a lot of screentime, as well as character growth, is actually The Joker. Jack Nicholson not only carries the movie, he is the only reason to watch this movie still. This is a weird similarity to Heath Ledgers Joker in The Dark Knight, but at least The Dark Knight had growth and pathos with the Batman Character, and the strong supporting cast.

Here, I just see wasted potential really. Michael Keaton is a great Bruce Wayne, but I don't believe he made a good Batman. Vikki Vale was a wasted character, Alfred is the worst butler in history by letting Vale into the Batcave, which made no sense and she left it anyway to take pictures of the Joker's Balloons during the parade, and subsequently gets captured....

I don't know, this movie does not hold up. I think the reason it gets a pass all the time is because it was such a huge hit in 89.

Man, I forgot how terrifying the Smilex victims are! I was watching it with my kid in the room and at the TV station part I had to click it off.

LinksOcarina said:
used44 said:
Man, I forgot how terrifying the Smilex victims are! I was watching it with my kid in the room and at the TV station part I had to click it off.

Was your kid freaked out?

oh shit, yea.. that was a bit scary.. What about when his daughter took her mask off?

I loved Tim Burton's Batman 1989 film, that was a great movie for it's time (I first saw it when I was like, eight or ten). Honestly though it hasn't aged that well and it is a pretty cheesy movie in terms of plot. I think everyone is right, the real star of the show is Jack Nicholson as the Joker.

Michael Keaton is good as Bruce Wayne, but it's just hard to see him as Batman since he's not a very big fellow at all. He does put on a decent Batman voice.

Kinda wanna watch Batman Returns now.

I watched all four of them...from Batman to Batman and Robin.

Honestly, Batman Forever holds up the most. Returns barely has Batman in it, and Batman and Robin is...atrocious still.

Forever has a lot of problems, but it actually focuses on Batman as a central character, has a decent idea of it's narrative, despite the sad attempt at romance with Nicole Kidman and Val Kilmer, and at least tries to hit a balance between the darkness and the camp factor.

Also, points for Jim Carey who did well as The Riddler.

LinksOcarina said:
I watched all four of them...from Batman to Batman and Robin.

Honestly, Batman Forever holds up the most. Returns barely has Batman in it, and Batman and Robin is...atrocious still.

Forever has a lot of problems, but it actually focuses on Batman as a central character, has a decent idea of it's narrative, despite the sad attempt at romance with Nicole Kidman and Val Kilmer, and at least tries to hit a balance between the darkness and the camp factor.

Also, points for Jim Carey who did well as The Riddler.

Mr. Freeze (Arnold), Penguin (Devito) n Riddler (Jim Carrey) were the best villains in that era. Fuck you - fight me!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133