Movie Club - A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

Woah, and I haven't even been watching movies. I'm sorry, I'll go back and watch them both.

Now, for something completely different. Out of all the movies I wanted to pick, none of them were on Netflix. So instead, I'm going to choose The Desert Fox. It's short, it's old, and it's great.

Unless people have actually seen it. If so, I'll choose again.

Is that opening British commandos stealth scene culturally known in some way? As I was watching, it seemed really familiar, though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have seen this movie before.

Loved how the whole scene was silent until the gunfire turns it extremely loud.

I’m always interested in older films from an acting style and dialogue delivery perspective. In Older film they seem to be talking at each other and past each other and this film is no different. I wasn’t really attached to this other than from a propaganda standpoint. I like that they’re trying to humanize some of the higher ranking officers as being efficient and rational bureaucrats and not inhumane zealots. I doubt anyone really stood up to Hilter to his face like they are trying to portray Rommel did. Either way, its pretty shitty to dedicate your life to a cause and give your professional services to a state only to be betrayed. I wonder if his widow and kid saw this film and what they might of had to say about this “versionâ€

I only liked this film, because the story was told from a British soldier finding it hard to believe the cause of Rommel's death and thus investigated. According to the film, Rommel was a legend. I don't get how they gathered evidence at the end and charged him with treason. I thought those who kept any form of the matter was killed.

UghRochester said:
I only liked this film, because the story was told from a British soldier finding it hard to believe the cause of Rommel's death and thus investigated. According to the film, Rommel was a legend. I don't get how they gathered evidence at the end and charged him with treason. I thought those who kept any form of the matter was killed.

I didn't have time this weekend to watch the movie, but Rommel was a legend, which is why he was basically forced to kill himself after he was accused in Hitler's assassination attempt.

UghRochester said:
I don't get how they gathered evidence at the end and charged him with treason.
Who, the Nazis? There were still people alive who knew the details behind Operation Valkyrie who ratted him out.

And I picked this film for a number of reasons. Firstly because it was on netflix. But more than that, I think it's important to remember that this movie came out in 1951. The US was at war in Korea and the vast majority of the movies at the time were "Can you believe how badly we beat those Nazis/Japs?!" And then here comes a biopic that gives a far more realistic viewpoint of the Nazis, as well as the idea that they easily could've beaten back the US if it weren't for that silly Hitler.
Sure, it wasn't some revolutionary thing, since it still dehumanized some of the Nazi high command as being grossly incompetent, but this was still only six years after the great war.

Hey, I put the posts in a random.org thing and the next Decider is... Green_Lantern!

Get your choosing on, boy. We'll start the discussion Monday.

And, btw, I'll choose the person based on the posts made in the topic (so more you post, more likely you are to win) just as I did for the first two. It's early Wednesday. No rush. If you guys want a specific time when I'll do this, then I'll do it every Wednesday from now on. I didn't want to butt in on the Desert Fox talk after only two days.

used44 said:
, I'll choose the person based on the posts made in the topic (so more you post, more likely you are to win).

ahhh got it.. also encourages engagement, cool.. lets go Greenie!!

Yeah, like, for example, there were 55 replies and random number generator set with the range 1-55 chose 50. 50th post was GL. So that's how it will work.

And I wanted to remind you guys that I, for one, am totally cool renting, streaming, or even buying a movie. Doesn't always have to be Netflix.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133