I've got another one for you

Right, idea, there has to be some stats on this (maybe from steam, who knows) but I'd like to believe that most people have a wide screen monitor now a days, and GR has all this effing adspace...er, red filler regions to either side, why not stick individual daily manifestos out there? There's 4 already today (and NINE yesterday, jesus) written by 3 different people, and it's pushed stuff out of the way before I can get a chance to read it! Since 4 or 5 of GR staffers make posts, give each person there own section, say two on the left and right, and whomever makes the latest post ends up in the middle, in a sort of rotation scheme.

Just a thought.

The page just needs to be longer and presented in more of a blog style i.e. Kotaku or Destructoid. Newest stuff at the top, older at the bottom, regardless of content. Maybe special sidebars and banners with featured content, videos, reviews, etc. The current layout is very restricting. The manifesto has become your best content and it's all squished up and moves too fast.

Edit: sidebars not sidecars. Sidecars are optional.

Well, they could make room for little sections for everyone, so each manifesto staffer's latest manifesto post is shown, and nobody can push anyone else's post off the front page but their own.

Hey, I'm just saying the format needs to change to a blog format. I could have used Stereogum or something as an example. I'm obviously not saying they should carbon copy anything, just make the pageview more modern and faster paced.

You can't argue that Destructoid doesn't have an infinitely better layout than IGN.

I suppose. Just to give this thread more relevance, I made a comment about how consoles are dragging gaming down, now, this doesn't really prove anything, but come on, this guy goes through the entire first level of Call of Duty Black Ops without shooting on Hardened mode. We didn't have super dumbed down games (that are considered blockbusters) until this generation of gaming came about. Are we all becoming stupid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RULv6Hbg ... _embedded#!

Hopefully this wasn't in the daily manifesto already, shit moves.

Blog formats are good when there's information coming in every 12 seconds. Besides that, they're retarded.

Instead, maybe just publish one Manifesto and pack it full of information. I dunno. I don't go on the main page anymore, so I don't give a shit.

GR is not a news site, so I can see how a "blog" format doesn't make as much sense as it would, BUT with all the manifestos, reviews, and opinion features, GR can still be fast paced enough to support it.

Everyone has great suggestions. We're going to strive to strike a balance between what everyone wants. That being said, I think there is one thing everyone can agree on, and that's the fact the layout needs a makeover.

We'll soon have a more bloggy style layout, but I really hate to call it that. It's more of a feed. And through the feed we'll be posting news, reviews, editorials, etc. Rather than having our content segregated into specific boxes all over the place, it will all be in one place, with a way to get to more of that specific type of content. So if it's reviews you crave, you can filter out the news. If you like to read breaking news, you can filter out everything else. We're trying to give you a lot more choice. You'll even have your choice between a white or black site.

Oh and I'll reiterate something I said previously. Manifesto is just our content stream for now. Soon the daily manifesto, will be going back to being DAILY. It will be much more meaningful, and will a lot of times have a more community focus to it.

We aren't trying to be anyone else, we're trying to carve out our own niche in this online world of gaming sites. We want to be unique, but still be competitive, so we'll have a little bit of everything. What will separate us from the rest, is that our little bit of everything we put out will be good. :) -- Take that IGN!

The original plan was to roll everything out at the end of this month, but a more realistic expectation is to see most of the new layout changes to arrive around the first of the new year. We're going into 2011 full steam.

Anthony: if you're going to underline something, it better have a funny image behind it. It's a GR tradition. :wink:

and, good.

and, I keep getting this in this thread: A username and password are being requested by http://admin.gamerevolution.com. The site says: "Restricted Area"

That sounds ace. You guys sound like you're trying your hardest to bring the GR back in GR. The choice between black and white almost made me whimper in grace.

Since you're holding off until it's finished, is there any chance you could drop a screen shot of the work in progress?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod