There Once Was This Idea.... for GR!!

blobbohen

Rookie
Oh Great GR Masters,

Every time I post in this forum (all two of 'em) I'm asking for something. So to waste no time I won't be evasive in requesting what I want. Will GR in some way, shape, or form please endorse Barack Obama? I know, I know. You're thinking "What?! Where did that come from? You've got to be kidding me." But let me explain how I brought my capricious request to this site. I'll make it as quick as I can, just the same way I slap bumper stickers on cop cars. Here goes.

I can't imagine many people think video games and politics in the same train of thought very often. I know in your latest podcast you talked about Obama buying some ads in EA games but even considering that occurrence the extent of games and government to me only brings memories of angry parents (one former lawyer in particular) shouting about bringing censorship and lawsuits against people like the DOOM boys Carmack and Romero. I guess what I'm thinking for this site involves a different type of relationship with politics.

Newspapers everywhere have long been involved in backing or trashing political candidates. They hold tons of sway in how they influence people to look at an election. So what about this site? In addition to many others things GR is most definitely a news source, and you get about, what, over 3 million hits a month? I know I'm botching that number but whatever the case you've got a hell of an audience here. Either way you post a view here an assload of people are going to see it. So that's one reason I see this place as so viable to move this race along in a good direction. People flock here. No doubt about it.

But why make a political statement at all? Enough people are doing that, right? Yes, but even so I still think GR doing it (in any way at all) would still be truly, really sweet. This gaming site taking a stand while all the others as usual still have their heads shoved up corporate sphincters. It just seems so awesome an idea. The user Blackstar and a couple others really got the ball rolling in talking about politics around here so I guess I'm just continuing what they've started- maybe just a bit less subtly. And I won't sensationalize Obama here either. Like anyone on this planet he's got flaws but he's definitely in a HUGE way got far more intelligence and diplomacy going for him than McCain. But I've exceeded my time limit, haven't I?

In the end this is nothing but a request. If you can in any way, in whatever way you feel like, please do something to show GR has Obama's back.

So at last I give you what I've failed to in my other posts: an offering. Your 30th post was right on so, inspired, I grabbed a camera, sign, and friend to show my appreciation. Enjoy.
simiansuperb.jpg

and

http://suckstop.ytmnd.com/

Again, not so subtle but I've gotta have my fun somehow. Cheers.

I got to admit, from a gamer point of view, it would seem stupid to endorse a democrat. Endorse a democrat/liberal for other reasons, sure, but from a gamer prospective... I leave you with this.. a majority of the politicans trying to limit video game sales, or content, and add regulation to them (thus removing freedom of speech) happen to be the democrats. My opinion on why this is, is because it is a good way for them to score that moral conservative vote they need to push them over the edge to win, while using an issue in which the actual people affected by that base has a low enough voter turn out to not matter. It is the oldest play in the political handbook, pick a topic that sounds good to win over the opposite vote, but one that the people who really care about it have a lower turnout or even voter base. Now for this election, it doesn't matter, both of them are anti-video games unless they deal with cars and unicorns or whatever.

Alright! 24 hours have passed so I'd best respond to the posts made thus far. I managed to get the pesky links working so, mattimeo48, they shouldn't be an issue anymore. Never thought I'd stop editing the grimy things! Thanks for letting me know.

And now for Jackel585. Ahh, the tone of your post was quite familiar to me, so ragged and jaded in its matter-of-fact demeanor. Really what I read at its core was that stubborn belief that the GOP and the Dems are one and the same when it comes to the issues surrounding video games. I can understand your cynicism here since so often that would appear to be the case, with the blundering beasts being two sides of the same coin. But there's a couple of holes in your conventional retort. I'll point out these flaws and debunk them soundly.

The first counter statement I'd express to your views is that Obama is in no way your conventional Democrat. I'll give you a couple seconds to take in that statement. Most people I say that to need a cushion of time before they let me go on. But, indeed, the biggest reason I'm backing him in the first place is because I see him as much more alternative than the average U.S. Democrat. If one bothers to read any of his books or go over any of his speeches or snippets of dialogue you're not going to find him badmouthing the gaming industry. The most I've ever heard him say explicitly is that parents should know when to "put the video games away." Pretty harmless if you ask me since you can overindulge on anything, be it athletics or Call of Duty. So there's no need to worry about him trying to appease conservatives by imposing censorship or alterations on the gaming companies. It's just not really in the cards. He is not, as you put it, "anti-video games."

The second response I'd put forward involves your focus on video games and your anxiety about the possibility of them being maligned in some way. I don't feel that this is really as big a problem anymore as it once was. There is a very strong parallel between the histories of gaming and the music industry. Both exist as art when they are at their best, and both have had attempts made on them to be gutted on the spears of the ultra-indignant. In the end they have survived the laughable attacks made on them. And, yes, the ESRB and Parental Advisory do serve as reminders of the hysteria that can reach fever pitch because of overexcited guardians, but really even those little concoctions are comparable to the MPAA rating system for films. It all comes with the silly attempts of others to limit art. Anyway you look at it people trying to resurrect efforts to take down expression in video games aren't going to get very far. Those like Jack Thompson are being disposed of, however much kicking and screaming they resort to.
With war, economic woes, and a lack of diplomatic credibility staring this country in the face video games are not going to be a major focus of the Obama administration. Or at least that's how I'm viewing this issue.

So I hope I've been able to soothe some of your fears. And please don't take this as snobbery but I'm going to refrain from responding to any more of your comments on this topic, at least until GR responds. I don't want this to become a one-on-one debate clogging up my original request on the forum since really what I'm waiting for is a response from a GRandmaster. If you want please shoot me an e-mail and I'd be glad to continue our conversation since it will keep me sharp for future debates on the matter. Thanks much.

GR takes a neutral stance when it comes to politics, either because we're freakin' anarchists (or something like that) or (really) because GR is made up of different people with different stances. I might say that my stance is "not Sarah Palin", but there are probably other reviewers and staffers that hold different opinions than I do. Besides, I'm not for a whole network (say, MSNBC or FOX News) representing one viewpoint - it's alienating to a part of our demographic and I would like GR to stand for individualism and making up your own damn mind about who to endorse. Picking sides also prevents us from pointing out the bullshit of both parties and why would we block our comedic avenues?

In other words, GR's stance on politics is whatever Comedy Central's stance is. Ha ha.

Superb! Much obliged for the response, Nick_Tan. All I wanted was some kind of answer from GR and I got it, from the one of the newer GRandmasters nonetheless. And my thanks also to those users that so uniquely made their own endorsements of Obama. Any support helps! Think I'll celebrate with some pumpkin carving....

I want to know GR's stance on Prop Z, giving equal rights to all zombies, er, I mean Zombified-Americans. I know many former GR staffers have become Zombified-Americans, but then you would have to give up the zombie pit if it passes. What do you think?

As Nick said, this videogame site isn't really the appropriate venue for that sort of thing. The forums are, though, so thanks for bringing your views to us for discussion. Be sure to stick around the Misc forum.

sorry for the delay, was in the woods all weekend. i know, i know, you're thinking to yourself "ive never heard of this 'in the woods' game".

anyway, nick hit it pretty square. as a site, politically we are pro-game and anti-censorship. beyond that, it's personal. we embrace all our gaming friends, regardless of their political views.

neither candidate has taken any position regarding video games, so for gr it's a bit of a wash. i wish they would.

i also (pesonally) agree with nick about sarah palin. mccain and obama both give lip service to the christians because you have to if you want to be president of this country. but i think sarah palin actually, truly belives in the wizard jesus, and that frightens me.

plus, awesome pic.

Duke_Ferris said:
i also (pesonally) agree with nick about sarah palin. mccain and obama both give lip service to the christians because you have to if you want to be president of this country. but i think sarah palin actually, truly belives in the wizard jesus, and that frightens me.
Agreed - Sarah Palin is a crazy christian bitch who hasn't heard about Carbon 14 dating.

Well Obama might be more sincere about his faith than you might think. I've read both his books and he goes into some detail about it. He just doesn't use it in on the stump. The job of a President isn't to be a spiritual leader.

I just found this topic and I must agree with my fellow staffers.
I would hate to alienate anyone in our audience with my personal beliefs. Also, I feel that something like who you're voting for is a very personal thing. While I am more than happy to hear everyone's opinion on such matters, I keep my own beliefs to myself for the most part.
With so many news outlets sensationalizing everything, I would hate to see GR go the way of Fox News.

Look at the forums though, it is mostly pro democrat, so even those who are pro republican, were still a community and we can have beliefs.

But the entire office should not endorse anyone, unless if it's the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod