I need help with Lets Play/livestreaming series

Detlik

Rookie
I am interested in streaming/recording lets play videos. I have everything I need, I just need to figure out best settings. I am using Xsplit, Virtual Audio Cable and Adobe Flash Media Encoder, now I on lookout for best recording software so first question is, what is best recording software?

Next question what do I need for best possible settings for live stream? Good webcam if I am recording myself, good upload speed and? And for recording what is most important thing, a lot of RAM or what?

Another question...how to get proper fan base? Where to sent links of my lets plays, my live streams etc.? I would want to make this my hobby...I will either make my first game A valley without a wind, Amnesia or anything you guys suggest.

You definitely need a beefy computer. I've tried this on several occasions and I just do not have the set up to make it work. That's not to say I won't try again soon though.

^ GR should definitely do walkthrough vids...I like watching those, depending on the commentary. EG your opening moments on Skyrim, "Where is my ass?!"...hilarious.

It's good to have atleast 1 mb upload speed for streaming.

Xsplit is cabable of recording and many people say it's good. Atleast the pay version. The free lacks some features I guess.

For gaining viewerbase, maybe add a link to your youtube/stream channel in your signature on the forums you frequent.

danielrbischoff said:
You definitely need a beefy computer. I've tried this on several occasions and I just do not have the set up to make it work. That's not to say I won't try again soon though.

I have i7-930 as processor
Ati Radeon HD 5870 2GB as graphic card
6 GB RAM (but I will probably expand that soon)
1,5 MBps upload speed
Will this be enough?

Affen said:
It's good to have atleast 1 mb upload speed for streaming.

Xsplit is cabable of recording and many people say it's good. Atleast the pay version. The free lacks some features I guess.

For gaining viewerbase, maybe add a link to your youtube/stream channel in your signature on the forums you frequent.

Okay thanks I will do the thing with the signature...any idea with which games I should start? (For lets play series)

I dont know what valley to the wind is. But Amnesia could be a good call. It's really up to you what you play, if you haven't played it before it could be more fun for the viewer? Scary games are quite popular because some people are too scared to play them/people like watching other people jump at the scary parts.

Also, one pet peeve of mine is talking over the cut scenes! Please dont do that haha! There's one guy who talks during play which is obviously fine, but the golden touch is that he shuts the hell up during the cut scenes ;)

MattAY said:
but the golden touch is that he shuts the hell up during the cut scenes ;)

I tried to livestream while back, you can check it out on twitch.tv/detlik
But the quality was poor due to wrong settings (I was doing it for the first time) and the fact that game was louder then the microphone, but thanks for that advice, I will keep that in mind and you mean all the cutscenes or just the important ones?

That certainly seems like a strong enough rig. I wish I could be of more help, but I'm kind of in the same situation. I've tried it like two or three times and was never satisfied with the results.

danielrbischoff said:
That certainly seems like a strong enough rig. I wish I could be of more help, but I'm kind of in the same situation. I've tried it like two or three times and was never satisfied with the results.

I will soon have some spare cash so what should I invest in to make my lets plays/livestreams better?

You can check my previous Amneisa stream here - twitch.tv/detlik but I had no idea what i was doing with settings so bad quality might have been caused by that...especially the fact the game is louder then the mic

Also can anyone tell me games which would score few points in my favor? Amnesia and...?

I guess a good way to get a lot of views is to play new high profile games, Diablo 3 for example (or check the twitch.tv directory for the games that are popular), but good thing is to just play games you are interested in and find fun. If you try to please people too much by your choices, your fun hobby might start to feel like work.

I think that would be amazing, the GR staff co ops in a game and records what happens. :O I see funny things in the horizon.

I don't get the appeal of watching somebody else play a game. Unless it was a walkthrough or strategy guide maybe.

Somebody clue me in.

Also, good luck! I don't mean to be the negative guy. Maybe your thing will totally change my mind. I'm open to it.

used44 said:
I don't get the appeal of watching somebody else play a game. Unless it was a walkthrough or strategy guide maybe.

Somebody clue me in.

Also, good luck! I don't mean to be the negative guy. Maybe your thing will totally change my mind. I'm open to it.

Generally I will play the game and try to be funny about it...thats about it, but I will link it here after I will be done with picking first game and will get enough tips on how to do it.

Affen said:
I guess a good way to get a lot of views is to play new high profile games, Diablo 3 for example (or check the twitch.tv directory for the games that are popular), but good thing is to just play games you are interested in and find fun. If you try to please people too much by your choices, your fun hobby might start to feel like work.

I am not sure if I will get Diablo 3, what other games are high profile?

used44 said:

Somebody clue me in.

Whenever I've watched videos of other people playing, its for the walkthrough purpose. A specific point that I just can't find a good piece of text on.

My nephew on the other hand, watches them quite a lot. And I've noticed a very good progression in his skills as a gamer since he started. Thanks to watching a few videos, he was able to beat Batman Arkham City, on his own. Not bad for an 8 year old!

I think my fondness for watching other people play comes from childhood. It was entertaining to watch your friend or some older guy play games chatting at the same time about the game.

Speeddemo archives charity streams have always been entertaining to watch. Some of the guys are so crazy good and you often go how did he do that. Then there's comedic value. Some people are good keeping up a conversation and commenting on the game while trying out silly stuff. I only watch live streams though.

Slight bump for the justice, I want to pick a game that would be around 30 euros price range (everything I can spare now) and would be good enough/interesting enough to bring me small fanbase to start...

Do Alan Wake. I thought it was not the game for me, I traded it in after a few hours. But I wouldn't mind watching somebody else play it and comment on it.

Maybe pick a game that you haven't played before. It might be better to have the commentator bringing a fresh eye to it, rather than going through the motions of a secondary playthrough.

Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle