How much do you like Half-Life 2?

• I love it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was alright

• I didn't like it

• Total voters
Creating this poll because recently I bought and returned The Orange Box (360 version) because while I liked Portal and Team Fortress 2, I really couldn't get into Half-Life 2.

I don't know what it is about it but I just didn't really like it. Maybe it was the pacing of the game. I've pretty much only heard great things about it so I'm just wondering what everyone thinks about it.

Again, this is specifically about Half-Life 2 and not about The Orange Box.

Eh, it's ok. Made me motion sick when I played it and I would get kind of bored of all the crappy puzzles, but still.

I'm not a fan of FPSs but I adored Half Life 2. Everything was just so good...though I'll admit at least 50% of my enjoyment came purely from the gravity gun. I loves using physics to kill!

to: topic starter

have you ever tried playing the first half-life? if you just plunged directly into half-life 2, you wont really find the game appealing. its like watching "meet the spartans" when you havent watched "300" yet.

personalmgt said:

have you ever tried playing the first half-life? if you just plunged directly into half-life 2, you wont really find the game appealing. its like watching "meet the spartans" when you havent watched "300" yet.

Did you just compare Half Life 2 to Meet the Spartans? Because thems fighting words! A more apt analogy would be trying to watch The Two Towers without first seeing Fellowship of the Ring, though even then I disagree. If you know the very basics of the originals plot you should be fine and once you get past the second chapter the gameplay picks up to the point that even if you're not following the story, you should still be having fun.

the first half life was the game that grabbed me in and made me a fan.. after that, hl2 was a must have...

infact.. now that i think about it.. orange box should have included the first HL with all its expansions... now that would have made that combo elite..

:)

I never played the original Half life and still loved Half life 2. Half life 2 is such a great game that playing the original isn't even required!

personalmgt said:

It's not the story that I didn't like. Like I said, I'm not entirely sure why I didn't like it THAT much. It may have to do with the pacing.

Meh....To me, it was really just an average FPS game with alot of of minor improvments. However, it stands out at trying not to be similiar to Halo (a game were every fuckin' FPS is copyig).

Lord_Fornelius said:
Meh....To me, it was really just an average FPS game with alot of of minor improvments. However, it stands out at trying not to be similiar to Halo (a game were every fuckin' FPS is copyig).
The half life series was before the halo series so I see no reason why they would try to copy halo, especially with the commercial success of half life. Evidently they got the formula right.

The_Big_Cheese said:
Creating this poll because recently I bought and returned The Orange Box (360 version) because while I liked Portal and Team Fortress 2, I really couldn't get into Half-Life 2.

I don't know what it is about it but I just didn't really like it. Maybe it was the pacing of the game. I've pretty much only heard great things about it so I'm just wondering what everyone thinks about it.

Again, this is specifically about Half-Life 2 and not about The Orange Box.

Half-Life 2 was incredible.

I'm not trying to tell you that you are wrong, but the only problem with pacing that I see is the release of each episode of HL2.

:evil:

axleblaze said:
personalmgt said:

Did you just compare Half Life 2 to Meet the Spartans? Because thems fighting words! A more apt analogy would be trying to watch The Two Towers without first seeing Fellowship of the Ring, though even then I disagree. If you know the very basics of the originals plot you should be fine and once you get past the second chapter the gameplay picks up to the point that even if you're not following the story, you should still be having fun.
oooohhhh. oooohhhkaaaay.

well not really. just my point of view actually, cant find any other examples. haha.

and wait, "recently I bought and returned The Orange Box " - whaaa?

personalmgt said:
axleblaze said:
personalmgt said:

oooohhhh. oooohhhkaaaay.

well not really. just my point of view actually, cant find any other examples. haha.

and wait, "recently I bought and returned The Orange Box " - whaaa?

Yeah, I thought about it and decided to return it. While I really liked portal and team fortress 2, I didn't think it was enought to keep it since Half-life 2 was half the game and I probably wouldn't finish it. Also, I'd already beaten portal.

Plus my roommate has it for computer so if I really wanted to give Half-Life 2 another try, I can play a bit on his computer. The one im on can't play it and my computer that could is broken and I haven't taken it in to a place to repair it. Probably won't too because even then it can only just barely play it on low and i'm not investing money into upgrading my computer.

THe half life games are fun as hell the first time around but have no replay value, especially HL2. I don't think I ever played through HL2 fully for a second time.

Lord_Fornelius said:

If you played FPS games before Halo, you would know how much that game copied off of others when it first came out. That is why so many PC gamers hate halo, it is pure mediocrity yet the public eats it up.

I also cannot believe you just called HL1 an average FPS, when HL first came out it was anything but average.

It was alright. It's the kind I don't tend to play multiple times because it's more like an interactive movie than the original half life or something like deus ex. The linearity pissed me off quite alot, and the sheer scriptedness of it at times. That's probably why it appeled to alot of people who weren't traditionally FPS players. That and the easyness. I beat this game on the toughest diffculty level first time. In something like two days. That's not very cool. Oh, and Alyx is one of the most irritating video game characters ever.
That said, it was absolutely outstanding the first way through, kept you gripped, the plotline was great, the artistry of it was pretty awesome aswell. The engine perfect, visuals beautiful, the sounds effects very nice. So yeah. It's not got enough meat on it for me but it's not bad by any respects.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod