Do You Think Half-Life 3 Will Ever Be Announced?

Do You Think Half-Life 3 Will Ever Be Announced?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No.

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Jonathan_Leack

Former Executive Editor
The rules for this week are:
  • Vote for whether or not you think Half-Life 3 will ever be announced.
  • Explain your position in the forum comments.
My answer: Half-Life 3 is a certainty given the incredible popularity of the franchise. No developer/publisher can ever ignore such an audience, such was the case of Square Enix announcing the seemingly impossible Final Fantasy VII Remake. I get the impression that Valve has been distracted by the development of Steam in addition to transitioning into an era where it's responsible for the growth of two of the largest eSports titles in existence (Dota 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive). It will be moving into a bigger office next month, at which point it's reasonable to assume that it will fill the space with more employees, and then consider working on AAA titles like it used to, including the possibility of a Left 4 Dead 3 and the like.

Head over to the official forum thread and let us know what you think.

I don't think it will ever happen. The hype train would be so big that nothing Valve did could possibly live up to it and the game would be considered a disappointment.

I think it will happen. Eventually the amount of money to be made won't be able to be ignored.

I do find it weird that considering the company culture at Valve where you can pretty much work on whatever you want, does nobody at the company want to work on Half-Life? Or is there some mandate from higher-ups that that's not allowed currently?

So it's either that, for some reason the bulk of Valve's workforce doesn't care about HL and would rather work on Steam and random trinkets like controllers and motion and VR stuff (admittedly cool tech sometimes), or a final option, a lot of people at Valve don't really work on much of anything.

Who knows?

Could be next month, next year, next decade...but it will eventually!
The need is too big to ignore as Griffin touched upon.
But the hype-train is also too big for anyone to provide the rails - it's a double-edged sword.

I'm pretty sure it will be announced at some point, probably sooner than we think. A company cannot ignore what their fans want the most for so long. In a world Post-Duke Nukem Forever, anything is possible, right?

I think at some point they will but feel the amount of hype and it's status as almost being the holy grail of gaming will be benchmarks I'm not sure they can meet. Can the yearning for it is so great that if it's not a masterpiece of a game could ultimately hurt the series and perhaps be a reason as to why we have yet to see anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod