Heavy Metal vs Rap

Metal vs Rap

• METAL!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RAP!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Metal. I honestly cannot see any redeeming value in Rap or Hip-Hop in general. On a PURELY MUSICAL side, Metal requires an individual to at least have a basic understanding of music and it's theories. Even a shitty drummer or guitar player will pick up on it after a while. I've been playing for ten years and have have gone from regular rock to tech death. I would love to get into a musical debate with a rapper any day of the week. See if he even knows what things like "sonata form" or "playing on a 5th" means. I doubt it. Rap carries the stigma of illiteracy with it. I have yet to hear a rap song that utilizes the English language to its proper degree. This may be a stereotypical statement but I think Rap glorifies stupidity. Metal is a genre that can at times take itself too seriously but it also knows how to have fun. I can listen to stuff like Belphegor and Nile one minute and go to something like Gwar or Iron Maiden the next. I even consider shitty metal like Dragonfarce and Hammerfall to be better than the "best" rap. At least they write their own music and incorporate more than a few "clicks", "whisltes", and they don't have to go "uh, uh yeah, (insert rappers name here) yeah from the (insert city here) yeah." I hate that shit. We know who you are, there's no need to repeat your damn name in your song. Also, any decent metal band can cover a rap song and turn it "metal". Just lurk myspace or youtube and see what I mean. Then let's see a rapper try and play some Dying Fetus or Cryptopsy. I think not.

I hate both. But rap is less racket, and I can dance to it when I'm very very drunk.

I used to love rap. Not anymore. It's just been slowly deteroirating to where it is today and I honestly see it dying at some point in time.

With that being said, I love metal.

One thing with Metal is that it's not just a simple genre, it's a blanket term for numerous sub-genres.

You got the regular Hard Rock, bands like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, etc.

You got the Thrash metal, which everyone knows because of Metallica and Slayer.

You have the elder 80's New Wave of British Heavy Metal, where Motorhead, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest come from.

You have the Progressive metal, with Dream Theater and Queensryche being the most prominent bands in that regard.

My personal favorite, the emerging Power Metal scene, thanks to Dragonforce (but better bands include Helloween, Iced Earth and Blind Guardian.)

Or we can go underground with the Black/Death Metal scene (bands like Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem, Death, etc.)

There is a lot to choose from, where as rap it depends on the beats more than the lyrical content. Plus with rap, you can be an awesome lyricist, but it won't matter because of the CD sales you get when going up against popish songs or nonsense lyrics about sex, money, a bit of both, which is all shallow.

Granted, some metal songs are shallow too, but the better groups have great lyrical themes interlaced with intricate music that is somewhat of a throwback to the symphonies of yesteryear. A lot of people compare heavy metal as a modern ancestor of orchestras from the 1600's, its not a fair comparison, but the intricacy of learning music in the genre is just as important as learning the speed and tempos of the violin. And if you don't believe me, look at the toughest songs in Rock Band or Guitar Hero, 90% of them are metal, and they are all very diverse in their main riffs and solo sections.

Theres alot of underground indie rap that i love, but new mainstream stuff i can't stand.
Don't like metal at all though.

Zeppelin and Deep Purple are NOT metal. I wouldn't even put Metallica into the metal category. Metal as it is known today is a very recent phenomenon.

GhostTrip said:
I feel like rap is alot like punk.

When it began it really, truly meant something. Then as time went it on it became more and more commercial to the point that it became an embarrassment.

I can see your point...

Punk when it began
sex_pistols.jpg

Punk Today
good-charlotte-viaduct-5200096.jpg

Rap when it began
Run-DMC.jpg

Rap Today
ChingyHoodStar.jpg

I can appreciate old school punk. Afterall, Beastie Boys began as a punk band. Although I'd say Rap had a much more powerful message then 45 second punk songs. But as far as Punk, Metal, Rap, Funk, etc progressed through time I'd say Punk and Rap have suffered the most. Because those genres both represented a certain era. And what we have today are carbon copies of what that music used to mean.

It's like how you call some artists from the 60's and 70's classic rock. Because those bands represented those times. You might have some bands out there today that sound like Led Zeppelin, but you don't associate them as the same genre cause Zeppelin is a "classic rock" band.

Music represents an era, then the record companies go "HEY! KIDS LIKE THIS" So they try to reproduce it and market it into packages for kids every two years. Fortunately because of downloading, the record companies are losing that power. But on the other hand, I can't think of any "new" artists that's come out in the past couple years that I've really enjoyed.

I don't listen to metal, but from what I can tell, there are still head-bangers :headbng2: and they still dress the same, more or less. But that kind of music didn't really represent an era, it's more of a cultural thing. I'll never understand it, but metal-heads "get it".

I guess my point in all this is that Rap represents a generation and the current generation it's representing sucks.

GhostTrip said:
I feel like rap is alot like punk.

When it began it really, truly meant something. Then as time went it on it became more and more commercial to the point that it became an embarrassment.

Took the words from my mouth. Rap is dead to me, long live Metal.

Oh ya, Rock never dies because the definition of it just changes. Don't get me wrong I love Rock but it's just a thing I have noticed.

Like everyone else has already said probably much more eloquently but me, but not only am I less articulate, but also too lazy to read exactly what everyone else has said but I basically have an idea from skimming the topic...where was I...

Anyways, it depends. I don't know much about metal, but I know that rap isn't exactly what it used to be. You won't find much good stuff on the radio. My favorites are Lupe and Blackstar. Kanye's not bad. I don't know what everyone's thing with Lil' Wayne is. All he does is brag about his sex life, only he does it in a voice that gets so exponentially whiny as each song goes on that he becomes unintelligible. And the stuff he says is disgusting.

TheZoomZoomKid said:
Zeppelin and Deep Purple are NOT metal. I wouldn't even put Metallica into the metal category. Metal as it is known today is a very recent phenomenon.

Yyyyyyyeah, I'm gonna go ahead and disgaree with you. Yeah, you see, Metallica was actually known as one of the big 4 bands to make METAL into what it is today. If you say Metallica is not metal then neither is Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and even Slayer, one of the most metal bands EVER!

I grew up listening to rap before rock, and eventually metal.

Anyway, my vote goes to metal. Completely. Judging by the poll, I'd say there are quite a few youngsters here.

VegasGuru said:
TheZoomZoomKid said:

Yyyyyyyeah, I'm gonna go ahead and disgaree with you. Yeah, you see, Metallica was actually known as one of the big 4 bands to make METAL into what it is today. If you say Metallica is not metal then neither is Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and even Slayer, one of the most metal bands EVER!

And note that I said Zeppelin and Deep Purple were hard rock bands. They weren't metal, but they were not exactly rock either. They were on the cusp of heavy metals sound, basically, like Black Sabbath was until it crossed over.

For the record, the only and I mean ONLY band to mic rap with rock and work like magic is Rage Against the Machine.

LinksOcarina said:
One thing with Metal is that it's not just a simple genre, it's a blanket term for numerous sub............etc.

I would totally disagree with some of your choices/classifications. But that only proves how rock/metal and their sub genres are diverse I suppose.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod