Heavy Metal vs Rap

Metal vs Rap

• METAL!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RAP!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's a lot more metal I like. At least emtal is putting out good new stuff (Manowar, Dragonforce, Airbourne, etc) but rap...well...that died a long, long time ago.

I feel like rap is alot like punk.

When it began it really, truly meant something. Then as time went it on it became more and more commercial to the point that it became an embarrassment.

It this a contest of which is worse? Because neither are consistently good. Overall, I like rap or hip-hop better.

If you would've asked Metal vs Gangsta Rap, I would've went Metal. But you didn't so I went with Rap.

It's hard to break Rap into any sub-genre other than Gangsta and _______, but that's because no one really tried to. Well, I guess you could say Midwest, East Coast, West Coast, or the Dirty Third, but that's regional and not really ... genre defining. But in some cases it is.

Either way, I wouldn't compare Mos Def to Cypress Hill or Eminem to Lil John.

Rap. Honestly, metal has no creativity compared to any good rap. Right now, I'm listening over Illmatic for like the six hundreth time, and the lyrics actually mean something. I'll go hit up my friend's myspace, he only listens to metal, and honestly I don't think any of this means anything.

A lot of people misjudge hiphop and therefore don't see the true spirit behind it, and that includes gangsta rap (some of it at least). I do agree a lot of stuff is just for commercial purposes and there's a lot of fake artists out there who are just trying to fit an image.

I like 1940's rythmn and blues. Other than that im a fan of bands like Hammerfall, Dragonforce, and Dreamtheatre. Its a pretty stark contrast in types, but I love a fast and heavy type of song in the evening and slow melodies in the morning.

Metal, because even though it was stagnant for a while, it is still fringe enough to be relevant.

And look at it this way, the biggest metal Act, Metallica, has been number one on the album charts for three weeks now. Granted, Metallica is not the best example, but other groups, both old and new, still carry the banner for good, quality heavy metal.

Comparing Heavy Metal to Rap is hard to do, considering that rap is much more open than heavy metal. Compairing Gangsta Rap to Heavy Metal is different, in which case I would choose Heavy metal because gangsta rap is shit, or comparing rap to metal.

But I choose Rap over heavy metal.

I was never into metal and to this day I cannot see its appeal. I don't listen to rap at all and can't see why people can be so into, but I can see why it is listened to. I went through a bit of a rap phase, but then I turned 12.

I grew up listening to rap in NYC during the 90s. So the choice wasn't very difficult. The main problem to me is I'll listen to a rock song, be it metal or something else, and it'll sound good, but the lyrics at times seem to mean nothing.

Now maybe it's just because rap is more concrete, but they'll always be a part of me thinking:"Tom Sawyer is an awesome song, but what the fuck are they talking about?" It could be that I'm just used to more literal lyrics and easily understood pop-culture references, but that voice asking "WTF?" will most likely forever lead me to pick rap.

Busta Rhymes said:
Top Gun shut down your Firm like Tom Cruise

A gangsta rap, club anthem, asking me to call on my knowledge of Tom Cruise's filmography?

Genius!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod