Driving and Hands-Free Talking

I texted and drove on the motorway the other day. shit is hard, I had to wait to come off onto a quiter road and stop. It's illegal though, and rightly so.

I tried texting on my iPhone while driving once.

Never.
Again.

And i don't see why talking on a hands free mobile is illegal. Like i said, talking on a phone is no where near as distracting as things that ARE legal, like my stereo or having actual people in the car.
I'm easily able to concentrate on driving while talking at the same time, and because my phone connects to my stereo i just press the green button and drop it back into the cup holder. It is literally the same as talking to my mate when he's sitting next to me.

Sightless said:
KoalaRainbowPoop said:
myth busters proved that talking on th cell phone is more dangerous than drunk driving.

They illustrated that it CAN be more dangerous than drunk driving. Which doesn't mean anything.

This really does open up a whole new debate. But I honestly think texting is worse than drunk driving. Like I said, at least when you're drunk you have your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel. But there are also many levels of being drunk and people have different levels of tolerance.

Point is if you're not so wasted that you can't even walk, you're safer on the road than someone who is texting IMO. And that's not saying a lot really.

Up here it's illegal to have your phone visible. It has to be in your pocket, purse or car compartment. Unless it is attached to the car by a mounting clip for the purposes of hands free. I still keep my phone on the passenger seat and will fight a ticket given to me for my phone NOT being used while it sits on the seat. That's like telling me I'm guilty when I didn't do anything.

The problem I have with this, IMO the problem was never really about the inability to drive with 1 hand while talking. The problem is that when certain people talk they forget that they are DRIVING. Just because they no longer have to hold the phone in hand they still get upset, arms waving in the air when they are DRIVING.

What about driving and eating? Or drinking, shit spills or falls and right away dumbass has there head down cleaning up the mess or there cloths.

Now, we had another law just put into place at the same time as the cell phone ban. No smoking allowed in a vehicle with persons under the age of 16 present. IMO this is mint.

Daddio said:
What about driving and eating? Or drinking, s*** spills or falls and right away dumbass has there head down cleaning up the mess or there cloths.

Now, we had another law just put into place at the same time as the cell phone ban. No smoking allowed in a vehicle with persons under the age of 16 present. IMO this is mint.

This is gonna sound bad, but smoking a cigarette is actually the easiest thing you can do while driving, lol.

And yes people do ALL KINDS of stupid shit while driving. Such as women who put on make-up. So I don't think talking on cell phones is the real problem here, it's distractions in general. I once spilled a hot coffee right on my crotch and it was the most excruciating ten seconds ever. I had to ignore the pain and pull my jeep over before I could grab my napkins that were in the backseat. I'm fairly certain anyone else in my situation would've done something that resulted in an accident like jam on the breaks or swerve into someone else while reaching around in the back.

I suppose the laws regarding cell phones is a start in the right direction in order to reduce distractions but it sucks for people like me who have never been in a single accident during the past ten years of driving. Well I've been in one but it was some idiot who hit me from behind when I was stopped at a red light.

This one time I was driving from work and noticed a van going side to side on the road. I though he was drunk, but when I passed him I saw that he was masturbating. Must have been a good wank.

I suck at driving while talking to phone, so I don't do it. I'm already so lost on thoughts that I don't need more distraction. I tend to hassle with the music player though.

Daddio said:
Same law here. (Except it's worded '16 and under')
I'm still 16, and i smoke while driving.

What now cops?

Affen said:
This one time I was driving from work and noticed a van going side to side on the road. I though he was drunk, but when I passed him I saw that he was masturbating. Must have been a good wank.

I suck at driving while talking to phone, so I don't do it. I'm already so lost on thoughts that I don't need more distraction. I tend to hassle with the music player though.

How the fuck can you even wank while driving? If I tried, I would get frustrated and stop.

FrozenBacon said:
Affen said:

How the f*** can you even wank while driving? If I tried, I would get frustrated and stop.

Frustrtion is the key to a perfect jerk.

Haha! Only here can a serious topic turn into a jerking off topic. It's standard.

you JERKS!

Same law here. (Except it's worded '16 and under')
I'm still 16, and i smoke while driving.

What now cops?

Ya, it's 16 and under. The cops will once again do nothing, it's just another law that kids under 18 can get a slap on the wrist for.

I think it's funny that in CA (probably other places too, this is just where I've experienced it) the law is hands-free, so people put their iPhone earbuds in to talk on the phone while driving (theres a little mic on the cord).

Well driving with headphones/earbuds in has ALWAYS been illegal. The driver can't hear the road at all. So what's more dangerous, driving with one hand or with no ears?

Not that anyone cares, but for completeness's sake: the actual news report was shitty. For having its own commercial advertisement thing, it was (un)remarkably short, and all it concluded was that a lot of people ignore the new laws, and still talk/text with their hands. It was very disappointing.

After talking to some other friends, the general feeling seemed to be that the only thing different about hands-free talking is that they no longer have to deal with fumbling around just looking for the damned thing. Otherwise, either method of talking results in the same level of distraction.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle