Do you believe that there's a God?

Do you think that God exists?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I feel I'm starting to lean a little towards the agnostic side, but I would still call myself an atheist. It isn't quite as simple as a yes/no question, if you've actually studied philosophy you'll find that there is just as many cogent arguments for the existence of a God then there is for the non-existence of a God. I mean granted the concept of a God just seems ridiculous, but then again it seems almost as ridiculous to suggest this incredibly complex world we live in was created basically in a giant explosion. William Paley said it best; if you find a watch you know that it has been created by a creator with a definite purpose in mind, so why think differently when you see a rock for example?

Don't get me wrong though, I was born an atheist and I'll die an atheist. And there are perfectly good scientific explanations for the existence of the aforementioned rock. But, all I'm saying is, it is easy to see why people become agnostics, it really isn't a black and white argument.

piracer is using the number of supporters for his case, but despises George W. Bush, of whom a majority of those that voted did so for him? piracer likes George W.!

God does exist otherwise how would i have won in bowling last night?!
But seriously,He does exist.NOT HINDU OR BUDDAH {I heard he went on slimfast}

link56 said:
piracer said:
over 2 billion believers (is that correct?) cant go wrong

What about the remaining 3 billion people (using your numbers) who don't believe?
Many of which are uneducated Chinese, Africans, etc. I think what I'm getting at is that places that don't promote individualism have a large amount of people who don't believe in a God or Godlike being. This would probably be the bulk of that number.

/\ I was simply trying to point out the complete ignorance of that statement. I understand that most of those people aren't "educated," but the idea that "2 billion people can't be wrong" is completely ignorant.

Who says promoting individualism is right? Thus you discriminate between people and objects and displace people by putting value to any and all things, thus creating more desire, thus creating suffering from lack of fulfulling those desires, thus you create things like violence, hate, and prejudice.

Why is it always one god; why not two? ):

And dark legacy, you sound like you have some zany logic going there; do elabote, you surprising man!

What does it mean to be an individual?

It means that you are separate, unique, distinguished, and different. You are discriminating yourself from all other human beings as being special in one or many ways from any one other person.

To be an individual means your actions are free and uninterrupted or affected by other people. And thus effect only yourself. The idea of a true individual is an illusion as such is free will.

All people are the same, when you discriminate differences you generate the individual sure, but by causing these discriminations you create the duality of superior and inferior. Those who are lesser individuals than you or vice versa. Though as we disect a single person, we may be made differently but that does not mean we are separate or unique seeing as the end result is a sentient, feeling, thinking being. The misconception that you can be an individual and all individuals can be equal is a falsified delusion, because being an individual means that you are discrimination differences, good and bad.

In all truth, though we are constructed from diferent parts and people, we are all connected, our actions and choices ripple across the globle and ultimately affect every other human being, animal, and plant on this planet. Through science we have found that we are all made of atoms, and atoms together create matter, and for as far as we know now atoms are infinitely divisible, such as to say, on some level whether we have the technology to ever see it, everything thing on this planet is connected to one another. Because on some level we are connected that means the space we call nothingness does not exist because it is full of something, that something is connected to everything else, and thus the individual as we call is is merely a macroscope view of the way things really are.

We see no connection so we believe there is no connection, but connections exist, empathy and compassion, love, hate, all these bind us, our place at the top of the ecosystem and all other symbiotic organisms trying to find an equilibrim on this planet are connected, and our slightest sneeze can throw the balance into chaos, cause death, destruction and mayhem.

Thus, such dualties as the individual, (the illusion of difference) causes discrimination, and thus the bad and good is brought to light, those desiring to have good and replace bad, those who desire this and that to suffice as a representative of their life or uniqueness, that which is desired to further "independance" only to fail and realize we are dependant inexoribly on each other, we come to realize we are connected, cause and effect, you bought this, this company profited, this person did not, thus his family is not feed, thus his children starve. We are connected and our actions effect all things. Individualism places no heed on the ramifications of our selfish selfserving actions, thus causing suffering on others.

This is why life is suffering. This is why it is the first noble truth of Buddhism, and this is why there is only Karma, and no God to save us from ourselves.

^As much of that is true, I still go with God. And what about the few Christian-Buddhists? Are they not following all of the beliefs, or do the teachings simply leave the God concept up in the air? I know your statement says there is no God, but I've heard other Buddhist ideals, so it just leaves me curious.

If any one person is truly Buddhist, then they believe there is NO GOD. I have heard of buddhist jews, buddhist christians and so on, but they are just jews and christians who took from buddhism what they liked and attached it to their religion. They are not Buddhist. All Buddhists, people who know and believe and practice any sort of Buddhism, believe there is no God, so it doesn't matter what they said, they are being false.

Dark_Legacy said:
What does it mean to be an individual?

It means that you are separate, unique, distinguished, and different. You are discriminating yourself from all other human beings as being special in one or many ways from any one other person.

To be an individual means your actions are free and uninterrupted or affected by other people. And thus effect only yourself. The idea of a true individual is an illusion as such is free will.

All people are the same, when you discriminate differences you generate the individual sure, but by causing these discriminations you create the duality of superior and inferior. Those who are lesser individuals than you or vice versa. Though as we disect a single person, we may be made differently but that does not mean we are separate or unique seeing as the end result is a sentient, feeling, thinking being. The misconception that you can be an individual and all individuals can be equal is a falsified delusion, because being an individual means that you are discrimination differences, good and bad.

In all truth, though we are constructed from diferent parts and people, we are all connected, our actions and choices ripple across the globle and ultimately affect every other human being, animal, and plant on this planet. Through science we have found that we are all made of atoms, and atoms together create matter, and for as far as we know now atoms are infinitely divisible, such as to say, on some level whether we have the technology to ever see it, everything thing on this planet is connected to one another. Because on some level we are connected that means the space we call nothingness does not exist because it is full of something, that something is connected to everything else, and thus the individual as we call is is merely a macroscope view of the way things really are.

We see no connection so we believe there is no connection, but connections exist, empathy and compassion, love, hate, all these bind us, our place at the top of the ecosystem and all other symbiotic organisms trying to find an equilibrim on this planet are connected, and our slightest sneeze can throw the balance into chaos, cause death, destruction and mayhem.

Thus, such dualties as the individual, (the illusion of difference) causes discrimination, and thus the bad and good is brought to light, those desiring to have good and replace bad, those who desire this and that to suffice as a representative of their life or uniqueness, that which is desired to further "independance" only to fail and realize we are dependant inexoribly on each other, we come to realize we are connected, cause and effect, you bought this, this company profited, this person did not, thus his family is not feed, thus his children starve. We are connected and our actions effect all things. Individualism places no heed on the ramifications of our selfish selfserving actions, thus causing suffering on others.

This is why life is suffering. This is why it is the first noble truth of Buddhism, and this is why there is only Karma, and no God to save us from ourselves.

I thought being an 'individual' meant dressing like a Goth. Nee..

GhostTrip said:
Their has to be more to life then what we see. You call it stupid, I call it optimistic.

That's a defense mechanism. There has to be something more. There is tons more that you see, but there does not have to be a God, and it is not optimism, it's selfishness. You can be optimisitic and lead an accomplished life, you can lead a happy life without God, and when you die you don't have to go to heaven as some reward for suffering or doing good here. You do good here because these are PEOPLE, you're brethern. You shouldn't need an excuse to be decent, helpful, generous, or kind. Death is an inevitablity of life, all things that live die, you need not be afraid of it or what comes after.

Buddhism says since energy is never destroyed, your energy is formed into another being, be it a grasshopper or a new person, the energy you are made up on continues, though your person "personaity" or "identity" does not.

There doesn't have to be anything more, and there isn't, beyond our delusions of grandeur and self-worth, individualism and wealth, we'll find the truth, we are all equal, Life is grand, and death is a part of life, so dying is equal to living as that is the cycle, your worth is no greater than that of any one being on this planet, you are apart of a whole, collective and together, and the wealthy man is not the many who possess the most currency or earthily possessions, but who is happy.

I belive in god and most of the bible.

I think that most people who claim they dont belive or talk this and that on christ and stuff, will fall to there knees when its time for them to die, and at least pray or ask for forgivness or something. I have seen and heard about it happening many times.

If the lord is your sheppard, what does that make you?

link56 said:
No, don't be ridiculous.

EDIT: Also, I wanna know what the point of being Agnostic is? If you believe in god, you probably do so due to a religion, so why not join that religion? And if you don't believe in god, you're atheist. I just don't understand the "middle ground." Maybe I'm an idiot, but if I thought god existed, I'd join a religion because at that moment the fear of god would be instiled in me.

My own perception of an Agnostic is someone who doesn't believe in a God/s but is willing to accept the possibility of one. That's the line I walk, so I chose "no" in the poll. As far as im concerned their's only one way to find out and that day comes for us all, so why fret about it in the meantime?

yorky said:
Many of which are uneducated Chinese, Africans, etc. I think what I'm getting at is that places that don't promote individualism have a large amount of people who don't believe in a God or Godlike being. This would probably be the bulk of that number.

You just completley slated a bunch of religions there. Just becuase they aren't educated in your religion doesn't mean they don't have their own beliefs, way to play the ignorance card.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod