Defiance

Sourdeez

Regular
Its a new tv show on the syfy channel that is also going to have a shooter mmo alongside it. They even in a interview said that some of the players and guilds in the game will be referenced in the show(They said they are saving spots in the show specifically for it)
It will be on pc, ps3 and xbox 360 they say "Simultaneously in a mmo world" which I think means we will be able to play together no matter what system we are on. Im in the stress test tomorrow. Did anyone else get in?

TV show trailer
http://player.theplatform.com/p/hQNl-B/ ... O4wEXv8jvJ

Developer Diary for the game
http://youtu.be/B82S0BbLvps
Defiance: Angry Joe Interview
http://youtu.be/uule_TmhU7M

That's ... interesting. Anytime someone says they have cross-platform I start the second guess it thought. It's too ambitious - and the show might be too. Looks like someone tried to put vampires, post-apocalypse, and Firefly all together to make the ultimate show.

If I get to pilot the mech on the bridge, however, I'm in no matter what.

We've gotten some invites for Defiance but nothing more than "talk with devs over the phone" so that's why there hasn't been much coverage. Still, we'll keep an eye on it if you're interested.

Ive never written a blog or legit review before but if I can try out enough of it during the stress test Ill at least post my thoughts on it tonight.

There are ATVs and other vehicles. Not sure about mechs yet.

Well The beta just went down. Loggin servers were overloaded for the first half hour so I didnt have alot of time to play. If you have already played a third person shooter mmo you will have a good idea of what your walking into. Server had minimal lag but this was a stress test so I wont review on it much

To start off the pros.
1.The engine runs great. It looks good and even with me forcing ambient occlusion I was getting 120fps.
2.The AI is smarter than It appears at times and dumber at times. Sometimes they will run around like they dont even see you. Once they do spot you though they actively take cover and will even try to flank you out of cover.
3.They give you an atv really early in the game. Its fast. has rocket boost and horn to annoy your friends.
4.The story character you interact with is voice casted well and kept me interested and engaged enough in what was really going on.

Con
1.You cant choose your hairstyle. Yeah I know its weird. I think they have helmets later in the game. You can customize the way you look thought just not your hair.
2.The Ego abilities(Think perks or talents) its this weird giant wall of just abilities. You can only choose your next ability if its near your base ability or current abilities your have.
3. Traditional MMO questing. Pick up quest. go reprogram radio tower, Turn in quest(only sometimes, sometimes you just radio in to finish)
4. inventory system could use a bit of work. I couldnt find a screen of just my inventory I could only pull up a screen of all the guns that could go in my mainslot. or greenade slot, etc.
5. Currently graphics options set to custom doesn't give you any options.(This is a minor gripe for beta)

You get the option of two different races(Human and alien humanoid), and 4 different classes.

Hope I get to try it out some more in the future.

Beta event starting at 8 AM PST on Friday, Jan. 18 and running through 9 PM PST on Sunday, Jan. 20.

p.s. Syfi canceled Alphas. Looks like they really are putting all there eggs in a basket for this defiance show and game. Makes me sad. Ill miss you Gary. Ill never forget the depiction of the government taking a autistic boy, putting him in a fema type camp and putting a microchip in his neck to keep him docile. When he got out he would spend 10 minutes every morning screaming to let his anger out. Man ill miss that show.

At least we still have "Being Human"

MasterRabbi said:
If I download it in time, I'll be joining you in beta. Just grabbed a key but at work :(

Sweet. Would be great to have you with us. I will pm you some vent info if you have a mic.

Xbox controller does work natively and with ui option. Very nice.

Engine has also had even more optimizations. Im getting 120fps with ambient occlusion forced. when there are a ton of people on screen im only getting dips down to 75 fps. Good stuff.

Edit: so we found out its going to be buy to play. one time fee $60. I actually don't think its worth $60

Actually have it updated for this next round before the round starts, so should get some time.

Anyone that's interested, I've seen a couple beta key giveaways around the interwebs now, so keep looking. Advanced Mission 2 is Feb. 8-10.

There was a post maybe a year or 2 ago about a gaming being shown, with PS3 and 360 players playing together. It was Defiance. The devs said Microsoft doesn't allow it, so they can...blah blah blah pr speak.

Got a pc beta invite, waiting for PS3 because that the only version I care about. I'm honestly only worried about texture pop-in.

I also heard the grouping/party system is ambitious, but terribly implemented.

EDIT: Just watched a dev diary, and they said that PC, PS3 and 360 players will be playing simultaneously...need some clarification

I did not know it was being released on PS3 and Xbox360, this makes me more excited! The show actually looks cool. I wonder how the game will change the show.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle