Conan, Teabagging, and online gaming

Ted_Wolff

Rookie
Last night on the Tonight Show, Chuck star Zachary Levi discussed online gaming with Conan O'Brien (p1, p2). Levi said good things about his experience playing online, at first. Then Conan asked about the potty-mouthed 'tweens and the taunts they do. Levi then awkwardly tells Conan about "teabagging".

Many people already casually believe games aren't mainstream or an acceptable use of time, and this interview probably didn't help. I think it's a good springboard to ask what you all think of your online gaming experiences.

I don't play too many online games with voice chatting. The most common one I play is Halo 3, and there aren't too many times where my experience is free of downright insensitivity.

A lot of people rag on the PSN for having fewer people with headsets, but I personally couldn't care less. Unless I'm communicating tactics, I generally take my headset off during the round. But online gaming truly has no code of conduct or civility behind it because of the anonymity and age of the general gamer. That being said it's easy, being the pessimistic creatures we are, to overlook the nine silent players just fragging it out because of the two douches taunting other players over the mic and acting like ten year-olds.

In my experience, FPS games usually have a more malicious crowd, whereas driving games have a much more helpful and reserved crowd. Sports games are usually a toss up.

Pet-peeves: Spawn killers, excessively filthy language, people who drag out landslides.

My favorite part of that interview was when Tom tells Levi, "I'm just sorry you keep calling me 'Mr. Brokaw'". Right behind it, the gameboy comment.

this is why i rarely play online games. the stupidity of some of the people playing these games is unreasonable. i used to play online games all the time, back before halo came out. counterstrike, team fortress, tribes, those were the days. back before dumb lil 10 year olds were running rampant. i blame console gaming for the way things are. consoles are a lot more accessible than the pc when it comes to playing online. plus dumb lil tweens don't really know how to work pc games.

As you know, the only remedy available for stupidity is termination. 2012 ftfw.

If I was in charge of making an online game, I'd definitely implement a fag blocker of some sort. Such features would include:

A. My awesome team-killer/camper screamer that bans the player (I forgot which thread it's in)

B. Noob matchmaking. The game evaluates the player's performance over time and forces them to only play against others of their skill level (during ranked matches).

C. Mic monitor. If a player's mic is giving off certain frequencies, players have the option to enable an auto-mute feature. This also includes voice recognition that gives the option to auto-mute players swearing (excessively) into the mic.

D. Castrator. Any recipient of an intentional teabagging (repeatedly crouching over body) will have the option to instantly kill the offender.

See, the first step to stopping this puerile faggotry is to take action against it.

I don't care about kids bitching at one another...I actually find it quite hilarious. It's the people who decide to just scream at the top of their lungs for no reason whatsoever that makes me mute the entire lobby...

Then again I rarely play with a headset on.

De-Ting said:
Castrator. Any recipient of an intentional teabagging (repeatedly crouching over body) will have the option to instantly kill the offender.

Worst...killscreen...ever. Imagine it from the killer's POV. Eww.

Bretimus_v2 said:
That being said it's easy, being the pessimistic creatures we are, to overlook the nine silent players just fragging it out because of the two douches taunting other players over the mic and acting like ten year-olds.

That's true. A majority of players are mostly considerate and the boisterous few speak over them, garnering more attention.

it depends on the game and platform i'm playing.
On pc, i'm either rolling with a super serious bunch of christians clan mates in team speak.. the sort of admins who are quick to kick a foul mouth player
or
i change my name and become one of the foul mouthed players, that's fun.

but on PS3 it's mostly hanging with friends. I would've loved to stay anonymous over ps3, but over time these people have kinda reached out into my personal life.

When I play most online FPS, I'm with a group of friends in the same house so we communicate by yelling. First thing I do in any MW2 match lobby is mute everyone with a mic. No matter what.

For the most part, I enjoy online experiences. However story time from a recent MW2 weekend.

There are 5 of us with 360s that go to my friends house on Saturday (he has enough TVs) and we all play domination. Usually we win outright since the opposing team is too focused on getting kills rather than getting points.

One weekend we get on this amazing win streak. 13 Domination wins in a row. It so frustrates our opposing counterparts, that for the 14th match, one of them switches over to our team to give his buddy a nuke.

I think it was a cheap way for them to finally end our streak, but at the same time, its a bit funny that we had to reduce them to that in order to win.

Trippysmurf said:
There are 5 of us with 360s that go to my friends house on Saturday (he has enough TVs) and we all play domination. Usually we win outright since the opposing team is too focused on getting kills rather than getting points.
I don't know how things work on 360, but it sounds to me like you guys won because you were all hosting off the same connection, most likely causing everyone on the opposing team to be laggy as hell. :?

I used to use the Headset on the 360, but I just refuse anymore since you're using the only one trying to construct decent teamwork during a match.

Or yelling at the top of your lungs for no reason whatsoever. :wink:

De-Ting said:
Trippysmurf said:
I don't know how things work on 360, but it sounds to me like you guys won because you were all hosting off the same connection, most likely causing everyone on the opposing team to be laggy as hell. :?

Not at all. What's interesting is that the connection affects everyone's 360 differently. If we hit a lag reconnect, a few of us will get back into the game before others.

As well, we were organized and focused on securing and holding points in Domination, not kills. Our opponents on the other hand would mostly try to pick us off as we moved from one point to the next.

I'm very thankful for how easy it is to mute people in Modern Warfare 1 and 2. Let's just put it at that. If people start spurting racial slurs and stuff like that I usually make an effort to give them bad rep and report them.

It's one thing being annoying, but being racist at the same time just earns you bad rep. Then a mute.

I rarely get into an online match in PSN where somebody talks. When I get lucky, there's one french person saying something and the start of the match and then it goes dead silent again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle