Dead Fanboy

JCD

Regular
I was an MS fanboy... up until now. I'm officially renouncing my fanboyism. I just realized that I'm not a gamer anymore, I'm a corporate puppet. Up until the PS2 I always had owned every console and in that way, got the best of all worlds. Nowadays it's not about the games, but the money they make. I hate Sony, the PS2 was the herald of all this, but I will no longer protest that the ps3 is a good console (by modern standards.) Since the ps2, no-one (except Nintendo, in a minor way) has tried to revive gaming. So I have decided to eventually purchase a PS3 and Wii. I finally understand that I cannot change the industry. So I'll milk it for all it's worth.

I despise Sony.
Not the PS3.
I know I may be supporting them in this way, but... why not?

Hmmmm until now I have typically owned all systems for all generations, but as of right now I only have an Xbox 360.

But honestly JCD gaming has always been about making money, for the people that make them at least. Especially for microsoft and sony who weren't originally gaming companies. I agree that nintendo has been the most loyal to true gamers, followed maybe by sega, but these were gaming based companies. Were you honestly try to change the industry by not buying a PS3?

I at first was not going to buy a PS3 or Wii because I felt that the 360 was going to be the best of the 3, and at this point in my gaming life I thought I only wanted one console. Then...I quit world of warcraft and realized by only owning one console i'll be missing out on all of the console exclusive goodness! So i'm probably going to buy a Wii this summer, and a PS3 when they drop in price and release a decent exclusive game. For now a PS3 still isn't by any means worth it.

Congratulations.
For me, I'll buy a Wii when they drop to $100. I don't need a 250 dollar dust collector. I have an SP and a Gamecube that do that just fine.
As for the PS3, in 20 days Lair releases so more will start selling around then. And, you can play all PS2 and PS1 games. Wait, you're in Europe. Make that most.

Anyways, welcome back to the club.

unctarheels: I do not believe that videogames where always about making money, the best example of this is Doom. That game was FREE when released. FREE. Doom. Free. DOOM. It was free. It cost, nothing. Doom. The game. Free. Doom.

grandma: I got's some money that I would only waste on silly things later in life like a house or car anyway. Still, I won't be in possession of all three consoles for a long time. I do actually have other things to do but play games. Shock Horror eh?

Longo: I intend to return to my gaming roots. Old Skool like. I would urge everyone else to do this to. Obviously not go and buy all the consoles, but stop all this fanboy business. It's not making the current state of the videogame business any better. Lay down your arms and embrace all consoles for what they do... Play games.

JCD I'd really call doom an exception rather than an example.

But yeah i'm not criscizing your decision, lets get wii's together and play SSBro's online!!

The gaming industry is just like any other. Why does it shock people so badly when they come to the realization that video games are created for profit, not for artistic purposes or any other reason? Sure, all those artistic energies and so one are put into a game, but it is still a business. It's still supposed to make money.

You can't have people in a modern, capitalist, Western society and economy putting hours and hours and days and days and weeks and weeks of energy and money and effort into video game and not reimburse them for it. It does not work that way.

I realize that obviously one of the purposes of games has always to make money, but it has never until the Playstation era been all about making money. Look back at all the great games that were developed in peoples basements, games that people enjoyed making. The Dizzy series for example. I believe even Peter Molyneux and Will Wright started out like that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod